What's new

Fire and Water Drop

I really like this idea, for the reflection in the drop Id love to see a flame instead of a grid, seems more fitting.
 
Please don't quote spam as anything quoted won't be removed by our spam removing tools and has to be done manually.

Just report it then ignore it :)
 
Overread said:
Please don't quote spam as anything quoted won't be removed by our spam removing tools and has to be done manually.

Just report it then ignore it :)

Sounds good. I'll keep that in kind if I notice it again.

Thanks for the heads up
 
Fun stuff!! It's awesome seeing someone be creative!! I want to see you pull this off. :hug::
 
Wow...

I'm very new to photography, but I have long enjoyed looking at good photographs. I have to say that I never payed any attention to this macro (if this would be considered macro) stuff.

Now I am very excited to try this sort of thing myself.

I really like the splash and the drip.

I have a lot of practicing ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing that photo.
 
What is your setup like?


I've tried this before, water drops, and have failed miserably.
 
That water drop is very cool .... black would work but if you want checks maybe paint the bottom 1/3 of the board black and the top portion checks this way the main splash would be against black and less distracting. I do think smaller checks would look better. Nice project and one I think is worth the effort!!

I really like this idea, for the reflection in the drop Id love to see a flame instead of a grid, seems more fitting.
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to separate the concepts and ditch the grid BG for the fire shot, I like the idea of both black and flames in the BG. The tricky part with the flames will be to keep the blue in the water I think, we shall see!
Fun stuff!! It's awesome seeing someone be creative!! I want to see you pull this off. :hug::
Thanks Mishele :) I want to see me pull it off too! I think it might be very cool :)
Wow...

I'm very new to photography, but I have long enjoyed looking at good photographs. I have to say that I never payed any attention to this macro (if this would be considered macro) stuff.

Now I am very excited to try this sort of thing myself.

I really like the splash and the drip.

I have a lot of practicing ahead of me.

Thanks for sharing that photo.
Welcome Joshua! Yes this can be considered macro, I'm glad you found an interest in water drops, shooting them is challenging but fun. Careful though, it's HIGHLY addictive! Don't say I didn't warn ya ;)
What is your setup like?


I've tried this before, water drops, and have failed miserably.

Honestly my setup is pretty crude and evolving lol

I shoot these in my kitchen sink. In the sink is the base of my lava lamp (warm light) on a towel.
Laid over the sink is a large glass cutting board and on top of that is a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass I use to drop onto which is lined up with the lava lamp.
Propped up at the back of the sink is a board with my background on it. (This time I didn't have constant lighting directly on the background but I think it might help so will shine some on it next time)
I have one of those faucets that pull out and retract so I use my monopod and some duct tape to get it up high and lined up.
To avoid excess water when I'm setting the water flow I put a towel under the faucet so I don't start with a mess lol (yes learned from experience)
I handhold the camera and use on board flash.
 
PixelRabbit said:
Honestly my setup is pretty crude and evolving lol

I shoot these in my kitchen sink. In the sink is the base of my lava lamp (warm light) on a towel.
Laid over the sink is a large glass cutting board and on top of that is a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass I use to drop onto which is lined up with the lava lamp.
Propped up at the back of the sink is a board with my background on it. (This time I didn't have constant lighting directly on the background but I think it might help so will shine some on it next time)
I have one of those faucets that pull out and retract so I use my monopod and some duct tape to get it up high and lined up.
To avoid excess water when I'm setting the water flow I put a towel under the faucet so I don't start with a mess lol (yes learned from experience)
I handhold the camera and use on board flash.

Lava lamp, that's a great idea. I'll have to give that a shot with mine. Thanks for the idea.
 
PixRab,
You are beyond my imagination :hail:
You are great for my state of mind! :hug:: Thanks Nandakumar!
PixelRabbit said:
Honestly my setup is pretty crude and evolving lol

I shoot these in my kitchen sink. In the sink is the base of my lava lamp (warm light) on a towel.
Laid over the sink is a large glass cutting board and on top of that is a 1/2 inch thick piece of glass I use to drop onto which is lined up with the lava lamp.
Propped up at the back of the sink is a board with my background on it. (This time I didn't have constant lighting directly on the background but I think it might help so will shine some on it next time)
I have one of those faucets that pull out and retract so I use my monopod and some duct tape to get it up high and lined up.
To avoid excess water when I'm setting the water flow I put a towel under the faucet so I don't start with a mess lol (yes learned from experience)
I handhold the camera and use on board flash.

Lava lamp, that's a great idea. I'll have to give that a shot with mine. Thanks for the idea.

You are quite welcome, gotta get creative when you can't afford lighting yet! ;)
 
Judi, you forgot the disclaimer: "Any short-circuits, fires, or other unpleasant events that may transpire if you follow my technique are strictly and solely your responsibility, and you do not hold PixelRabbit responsible for any misadventures that may result. If, on the other hand the resulting images are good enough to publish, a creative-inspiration royalty would be appreciated.".
 
Haha! Paul I thought about that when I was typing it up lol I do take extra precaution to make sure water doesn't make it into the sink, but perhaps I should have included a common sense disclaimer juuuust in case because you neeeeever now lol ;)
 
Really cool effect...Am really interested in doing this kind of shot.....

I see there are set ups that can trigger sensors and your flash when the drop passes through them....Expensive, but effective.

Ill be going for the cheaper version....Baking tray, camera, flash gun, pipette and of course some good old luck...

Will be looking to buy a flash gun soon...

One thing im beginning to realise...My new hobby is gonna be expensive...hahaha
 
Hey Dave, yep you can go high tech or low tech for these, low tech just requires a bit of tinkering to get it right.
You are absolutely correct, this is a rather expensive hobby, I have gotten away with a year shooting with just my camera, one lens and on board flash but I'm starting to look at adding to my arsenal, Mr. Rabbit's response.... "You better start selling some pictures then!" lmao!
(Totally my own fault, a while ago I told him it would be nice for my photography to support my habit... then went on to say I was going to make that happen, what was I thinking??? lol)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom