First attempts at smoke photography

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Today was my first time to shoot smoke. I'll try again during the weekend, but here are the first results:

I took the tips from Gavin Hoey' s youtube channel. :thumbup:
There are 6 pictures, as I cannot decide to narrow down my collection anymore.

20100910_163650.jpg

2 This one has interesting colors. The majority of the smoke is blue, because it is lighted by a flashgun, but the left corners are more brown, as they have taken the colors of a thungsten light bulb, which was there to light up the smoke for the autofocus.
20100910_163800_01-Edit.jpg

20100910_162358-Edit.jpg

20100910_164322-Edit.jpg

20100910_164446.jpg

20100910_164546.jpg

BTW: Except in the white-backgrounded images the colors of the smoke are not edited in software.

Last edited:
I like 2 and 6 the most, I like the volume of the smoke it seems to have.

I really like the 3-rd and the 4-th picture, did you modify them in Ps?

Interesting! Actually never thought about what it might take to shoot smoke before.

Yes, 3 and 4 are modified in ps with the inverse tool + colorize, but the otherones have just some cropping, exposure adjusments etc. done to them

Can you explain your setup indepth? like how did you get this smoke? simply a match? or? thanks!

It's exactly like this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2d281_HoEQ[/ame]

(Black background, flash with cards remotely triggered of the side and an incense stick as a smoke source)

I actually used the commander mode of my pop up flash in the D90 to trigger the SB600. To make sure, that any light would hit the background, I placed a black card in front of the pop-up flash and it still triggered the flash unit.

In the next video is explained the post processing of smoke photos.

Hope this replies your question.

Last edited:
Great video -- thanks for posting.

Most reactions

Back