First Attempts

Sulfur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
3057789570_0bfa71d719.jpg

3058866353_22d9c49d33.jpg

These pictures don't do anything for me.
You have great background blur on the second one though. Every time you take a picture ask yourself this question: What am I trying to convey with this image? OR What emotion am I looking to get out of the viewer?

Keep it up and welcome to the forum.

why would you bump only a few hours after posting... thats just rude... people will eventually get to you
Wow. Sorry if I hurt your feelings.

These pictures don't do anything for me.
You have great background blur on the second one though. Every time you take a picture ask yourself this question: What am I trying to convey with this image? OR What emotion am I looking to get out of the viewer?

Keep it up and welcome to the forum.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

I know. It would be a lot different if it was an inactive forum, but I just kind of figured that my topic got shoved into the recesses. Sorry.

I know. It would be a lot different if it was an inactive forum, but I just kind of figured that my topic got shoved into the recesses. Sorry.

nah, just about everything eventually gets answered by someone... part of the reason why this one is so dead is that the photos are kinda boring.. i mean, they are well put together, and you did a good job with them, just that the subject is kind of boring.. not a knock on you.. as i'm sure you've got some other great photos.. maybe try posting ones with more interesting subjects

Why would the photos in a Beginners Forum be "not boring". It's a beginners forum. Lighten up Chris seriously.

If this is your first attempt at doing anything photography related I'd say good job. Usually its the usually hazy out of focus stuff, but it doesn't seem like you fell into that trap. If you had a tighter crop on the first picture, or got more detail on that ubiquitous fan, I'd say it was a good lil photo.

What are you working with?

I wasn't really going for an interesting subject at all. I was just going around my house looking for stuff that was kind of interesting. I was really just doing this as an exercise.

I'm using a Canon 10D. That was a 17-55mm L lens. My dad was into photography before, but got busy with other stuff and he's letting me use his stuff.

I have some questions. How can I get it sharper when I'm taking it? Also, how can I get a bit more contrast while taking it. I understand the basics of f-stop, and ISO. I'm into film and from there I'm applying a lot of stuff to Photography. However, everything isn't the same as it is on a film camera.

I wasn't really going for an interesting subject at all. I was just going around my house looking for stuff that was kind of interesting. I was really just doing this as an exercise.

Awesome. I guarantee you thats how damn near a MAJORITY of some of these "pros" ( :lol: ) on this forum started out, they just didn't have the "temerity" to post it online.

I'm using a Canon 10D. That was a 17-55mm L lens. My dad was into photography before, but got busy with other stuff and he's letting me use his stuff.

Keep it up. I remember the first shots I took with my D50, flash on, wondering why the pictures looked so much like a P&S, and why the hell I couldn't take a photograph in a dark area without it turning out like crap.

If you haven't already, read Understanding Exposure - assuming you have NO CLUE on what you are doing, although with a photography dad I sincerely hope thats not true.

And heres some shots with the Canon 10D to get you inspired.

Ah, sorry. I edited my post. I do understand the basics, I just am not sure how to do a few things.

Here's another photo I took today. It was snowing and I didn't have time to mess with the exposure. I just have one question. How do I get colors to "pop" more. I know that the colors in this are pretty bland, but I wanted the white to come out more.
3059704796_c462ac7de2.jpg

Also! Thank you so much for your POSITIVE response.

Last edited:
For something like that you're limited by that fog. Never tried it, but something is telling me a CIRCULAR POLARIZER might help you in such a situation like that. Someone else more knowledgable about light and how it behaves might be able to answer better though, although I'm just guessing with that kind of light you're not going to get that "pop" you are looking for on the snow.

Ok thanks a bunch. How can I get it more in other photos too? How might I get a more sharp photo also.

Picking a Sharpening Method is like picking a partner - it all depends on your tastes. I personally like to sharpen in LAB Mode on the Lightness channel using UnSharp mask. This assumes you are using Photoshop?

Most reactions

Back