First beach model shoot (maybe NSFW)

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time I got to do a model shoot. I volunteered to help another photography that was trading time for photos so he can build his portfolio up and they get pictures. In between his shooting he and the models allowed me to do some for practice as well.

Did all these with my little D40 at Huntington Beach in SC.

Hope you like, please CC also

(click for larger)

They're way too small to give C&C, but 3,4,5 and 7 look underexposed to me. If you resize them a little larger I could tell you more.

Thanks, but they are clickable links, some are a little too large to directly link.....

I realize some are underexposed as I haven't done any PP to most of them other than some cropping though. there's only 2 or 3 that I've touched up some.

Garrett

I feel a flash coming on...

they seem a tad underexposed. also they don't look as crisp as they could. try setting your aperture to f11 or higher. were you using a center weighted focus for these?

Thanks, but they are clickable links, some are a little too large to directly link.....

I realize some are underexposed as I haven't done any PP to most of them other than some cropping though. there's only 2 or 3 that I've touched up some.

Garrett
Ah, I didn't even notice they were clickable. Sorry.

they seem a tad underexposed. also they don't look as crisp as they could. try setting your aperture to f11 or higher. were you using a center weighted focus for these?

Thanks, I wish I could tell you what settings I used but it was about 3 weeks ago and I was constantly changing them to figure things out.

I've been so dependent on the dummy modes I was forcing myself to use manual. A lot of things to control when you aren't used to using them.

I really wish I had my 50mm 1.8 at the time as well.

Big tip I learned the hard way for beach shooting, wear beach wear! kind of hard to get the shot you want if your wearing jeans, shoes, socks and can't get close enough with the lens you are using because you don't want to get wet :mrgreen: I always had the wrong lens with me at the wrong time lol

I really want to do another one now that I've got better equipment and more importantly, have been working on learning how to properly use it......

the eyes on some are dark, maybe a reflector to produce some catchlights-I just discovered this makes a huge difference.

You can check what your settings were by looking at file info if you use photoshop or I expect which ever software you use for editing may tell you. I downloaded a add on to firefox and on number 3-my favourite for composition that you used a NIKON D40 focus 90mm exp 0/100 Aperture F4.5 ISO 800

The skin colours vary greatly too between each photo some seem alot redder than others
number 4 I would crop the sky out as its not really creating any added interest to the picture-plus your horizon is crooked.

Looks like your lucky and have a very natural model, she looks comfortable, and your setting looks nice too, deffinatly get out there and ecxperiment with your equipment-I am new to all this too and am learning, so I hope what I have said is OK.

Thanks for the input guys....

I really wish I had a chance to do some more on my own without having to shoot over the other photographer.....

Here's a few more I dug out of the set and played with a little.....

It's weird, I'll work on a photo and think it looks just right, then later I'm like what was I thinking and do it completely different.....

The skin colours vary greatly too between each photo some seem alot redder than others
number 4 I would crop the sky out as its not really creating any added interest to the picture-plus your horizon is crooked.

Looks like your lucky and have a very natural model, she looks comfortable, and your setting looks nice too, deffinatly get out there and ecxperiment with your equipment-I am new to all this too and am learning, so I hope what I have said is OK.

Funny thing is, she was the only one of the three that had never done any modeling before, she was real awkward at other spot we were shooting but really had fun on the beach.......

This better? #4 re-adjusted......
DSC_0234_2-1-1.jpg

That is very, very orange.

That is very, very orange.

Thanks for the input.......

Me thinks I might have to adjust my monitor some, maybe it's me or the screen but it looks good on mine, doesn't appear orangey on mine. Her skin tone looks just like I remember it, she was very well tanned.

Not doubting you, i guess I should check the color calibration on here.

It's possible that she appears very orange because the water isn't very blue, which makes her look unnaturally saturated with color. My suggestion would be to either pull some red out of her or add a lot more blue to the water.

Big tip I learned the hard way for beach shooting, wear beach wear! kind of hard to get the shot you want if your wearing jeans, shoes, socks and can't get close enough with the lens you are using because you don't want to get wet :mrgreen:

hehe i never learn... i always get in the water with jeans on, then get into my car completely soaked. where were these pictures taken? looks like myrtle beach

hehe i never learn... i always get in the water with jeans on, then get into my car completely soaked. where were these pictures taken? looks like myrtle beach

Very close, Huntington Beach State park in Murrells Inlet..........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back