First Camera?

lbheyman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this question is posted through out the forum here. But, I believe each case is different, so here goes. Our long term goal is to start a photography business so we can spend more time with our 8 month old son. She will be doing mostly children and family photos. I am also new to the photography thing and have been doing some research. I have narrowed our choices down to two cameras. The Nikon D90 or the Nikon D3100. Which of these would be a better camera to start with? Is there plenty of room to "grow" in each camera? I will also be using the camera for diving and taking outdoor photos and wildlife pictures. Keep in mind all we have ever owned were point and shoots. Oh, and one more thing. How about a lens. Would the lens that comes bundled with the camera from BB be ok? Or should we pick up a camera and buy the lens separate? Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
I know this question is posted through out the forum here. But, I believe each case is different, so here goes. My wife wants to start a photography business so she can spend more time with our 8 month old son. She will be doing mostly children and family photos. I am also new to the photography thing and have been doing some research. I have narrowed our choices down to two cameras. The Nikon D90 or the Nikon D3100. Which of these would be a better camera to start with? Is there plenty of room to "grow" in each camera? I will also be using the camera for diving and taking outdoor photos and wildlife pictures. Keep in mind all we have ever owned were point and shoots. Oh, and one more thing. How about a lens. Would the lens that comes bundled with the camera from BB be ok? Or should we pick up a camera and buy the lens separate? Thanks for any input!

Before she starts her "own business" she's going to want to learn as much as she can about proper photography techniques, and then she needs to learn the business-side of things or it WILL fail. You, sir, also need to learn this stuff so you could help her if she's really serious about being any good. There are way too many people with cameras out there trying to have a photo business without enough knowledge to really do so, and they usually fail quickly because there are only so-many suckers out there who are unable to see past the crap being put out by such people. She would definitely be able to get a few customers, but just a few won't keep her in business or make her a decent enough amount of money for it to be worth it. Also, if she doesn't really do it well, word about her WILL get around and it will eventually kill what business she does have. Maybe you two need to think it through a little more but I'm not sure of what kind of knowledge you two might have acquired through your 'point-& shooting'...Maybe you'd do alright in your area? Either way...Good luck, you might need it!

per your camera question: Of the two listed, I think the D90 might be your better bet. The D3100 does have more MP's but I think the D90 has more features needed for such an endeavor. I don't think the D90's 18-105mm lens will suffice properly for portraiture, but YOU might be able to use it for what you want. In MY opinion you're going to need something more meant for portraits with a lower aperture. Maybe an 85mm 2.8 AF-S lens? I think I saw BB does have them now!
This is only my opinion, take it for what it's worth...nothing!

I agree with you. I didn't mention it, but after we purchase the camera, we are going down to the local camera store and taking some classes. We are not going to be "that guy" that just gets a camera and starts charging people. We both have stable full time jobs that we get almost a week at a time off, so we will have plenty of time to practice before we start the money side of things. We are not going to rush into it by any means. Word of mouth is how we want to promote our business, so turning out shoddy work in the beginning would just be detrimental to all we are trying to do. Thank you for the input. I was leaning towards the D90 myself, but wanted other opinions! Thanks!

You should PROBABLY stop researching what camera and do more researching about business. The idea that starting business to spend more time with the family is exactly the opposite of the likely reality. Working many more hours. Most fail. Try complimentary weddings for broke friends and relatives to see just how that gig meshes with your conception of the pro photo life.

THAT BEING SAID The D-90 better yet the D-7000 The kit lens 18-105 is a great GP lens and wonderfully complimented with a Tokina 12-24. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm I love the 12-24 for people whether singles or groups.You must have an external flash with it to prevent lens shadow. SB-400 is fine until proven otherwise. For wildlife you might need to spend some serious money for lenses. For diving you enter another big money area for waterproof housings etc.

Last edited:
I know this question is posted through out the forum here. But, I believe each case is different, so here goes. Our long term goal is to start a photography business so we can spend more time with our 8 month old son. She will be doing mostly children and family photos. I am also new to the photography thing and have been doing some research. I have narrowed our choices down to two cameras. The Nikon D90 or the Nikon D3100. Which of these would be a better camera to start with? Is there plenty of room to "grow" in each camera? I will also be using the camera for diving and taking outdoor photos and wildlife pictures. Keep in mind all we have ever owned were point and shoots. Oh, and one more thing. How about a lens. Would the lens that comes bundled with the camera from BB be ok? Or should we pick up a camera and buy the lens separate? Thanks for any input!
Forget both the D3100 and the D90. The D3100 lacks features you will need, and the D90 is very near the end of it's product cycle and is now older technology.

Plan on getting the new D7000, body only. Get the Nikon AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8D as your first lens. 10 years from now you will still be using that lens and other lenses. You will be selling the D7000 in 2 years to move up to a better camera.

By the way, for a photography business you need at least 2 camera bodies and 3 is better (backup equipment).

You are wanting to start a retail photography business. The PPA (Professional Photographers of America) did a survey about a year and a half ago and discovered that 85% of all new photography businesses never made it beyond their 5th year. The major reason was financial, they weren't making any money. It is worse today, because the market is even more flooded with new retail photography businesses, both legal and not.

You could well wind up in that 15% that make it beyond the 5th year.

You will likely have less quality time to spend with your child as you develope the necessary skill sets and deal with the plethora of details and time constraints that constitute starting and then running your own retail business, at least until you get over the hump and become established.

The most important skill you and your wife need inititally is business/marketing knowledge and skill, not photographic skill. Mind, you do need photographic skill, but it is secondary to business skill.

Before you buy a camera for a photography business, sit down and write a business/marketing plan, and have an experienced business person check it over for you.

You can get free and/or low cost business advice (and assistance with writing a proper business/marketing plan), from www.sba.gov and www.score.org.

Good luck with your new venture. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. I know that the underwater world is very expensive! I have an underwater camera and housing now, but it was only around $400. The housings for the cameras above are around the $1500 range...just for the housing.

As far as the business side of things, I know it is challenging. The flexibility of operating a business on our own is what will give her and I more time with our son. We both work 12 hour shifts right now and work opposite days. Having the flexibility of owning our own business with give us the time we need! Thanks for the concern though. To have a sucessful buisness we need the proper tools right? So I am here for advice on those tools. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the input. I know that the underwater world is very expensive! I have an underwater camera and housing now, but it was only around $400. The housings for the cameras above are around the $1500 range...just for the housing.

As far as the business side of things, I know it is challenging. The flexibility of operating a business on our own is what will give her and I more time with our son. We both work 12 hour shifts right now and work opposite days. Having the flexibility of owning our own business with give us the time we need! Thanks for the concern though. To have a sucessful buisness we need the proper tools right? So I am here for advice on those tools. Thanks for your input!

For high quality lenses, you're looking at $1000-$2000 on avergae. There's exceptions like cheaper primes, but some standard professional Nikon zooms would be the 14-24 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 VR. They sell for about $4,800 for those three lenses combined.

Then you have to look at lighting, which is a very important part of portraiture work. A decent setup is likely to run you about $1,500-$2,000 for lights, stands, and modifiers. Good lights can cost up to $12,000 for a set of high end professional lights. It's not necessarily going to be a cheap investment.

"the D90 is very near the end of it's product cycle and is now older technology"

WHAT? The camera was released in 2008. It will be around for a very long time.

"the D90 is very near the end of it's product cycle and is now older technology"

WHAT? The camera was released in 2008. It will be around for a very long time.

Do you understand product cycle?

That was almost 3 years ago. It has a D7000 which is basically a replacement for it. Sure, the camera won' just stop working, but stores are going to stop selling it and 3 years does consitute old technology in today's world.

Definitely go with at least the D7000, it's taken over the D90 and nearly the D300s as well.

While the D3100 is a fun little camera with a lot of features, it does lack some of the things you would possibly want. It's not that it can't do the job, but it lacks an internal focus motor for one thing (which won't autofocus that 85mm f/1.8 lens that was mentioned). Again, not a deal breaker since most all of todays lenses are made with focus motors in them anyway.

Good luck with the business!

sorry to butt in here but what is it about the d90 that is old technology or that would be limiting/create an issue. I'm asking because the OP was interested in the camera but I am as well.

sorry to butt in here but what is it about the d90 that is old technology or that would be limiting/create an issue. I'm asking because the OP was interested in the camera but I am as well.

There's nothing "limiting" about the D90, just that the D7000 is the newer version and has better technology, better hi-ISO results/faster FPS/more bells and whistles, etc.. People still use "old" cameras (by todays tech standards) and get excellent results, no doubt about it.

What I think KMH was saying is just simply, from a "starting a business" standpoint, get the best you can...when you can. The "best" often being the "newest".

The D90 is still a class leading body and will last the average enthusiast for quite a while.

Stop effing spamming spamface.

Most reactions

Back