First Couple Pics

Rhodes7586

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up my first DSLR camera, and was out messing around trying to get the hang of it. Anyway the camera is a Nikon D40x with the 15-55 VR Lense. Here are a few pics, Tips and CC are appreciated.

Posted.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Flower.jpg

Good job! I REALLY like the first one, but I feel like something is off, idk if its the color, the focus, or what but I think its really good. The second I like too, I feel that the colors are nice, but if the car and parking lot were gone and you got more of the silo/building in the shot it would be better. And I'm not one for Macro stuff so I can't really comment on the third.

P.S. - B6 A4's FTW

I could see #1 cropped portrait orientation, including both the sign and the sun.

#2 What is your subject here? What are you trying to say with this image? It's a boring snapshot.

#3 The flash is pretty harsh here. Try difusing your flash with a tissue or bit of paper towel. Subject isn't presented in a most interesting way. It's a flower, but what are you trying to show us that caught your eye?

Study theories behind composition.

I think the first shot is the best, but the sun is almost a "bullseye", which is not as dynamic as having it be a bit more off-center. Still, a good exposure and a good presentation of the image.

The second shot is the one that could have definitely been improved by turning the camera to vertical--the right hand side is just dead, empty space; a tall camera orientation would have produced a cool exaggerated apparent perspective distortion,with lots of keystoning, and it would have made that Audi look cool! The stripes on the placement and the white space in the lower right quadrant lead the eye right out of the picture.

It might sound odd, but one way to get better at this type of scene is to walk around with the camera AT your eye, from side to side, and really pausing to look, think,and question what you are seeing. Really LOOK, and stop and ask yourself. Look around at the entire viewfinder image; the thing is, today's 1.5x d-slr bodies have SMALL viewfinders, and things look, well small. We tend to mentally "see" our favorite part of a scene, and we tend to look at the central portion of the finder image--but mentally detaching yourself and FORCING yourself to scan all four corners of the frame, and forcing yourself to evaluate the image is the way to improve composition on static scenes like this grain elevator shot.

The third shot is not very good; too much green, not enough detail. Again, subject centered, but too much surrounding greenery with little real value. You need a larger flower, either via a closeup lens attachment, or a physically larger flower, like a large rose. The 18-55 isn't exactly a macro lens. The forced looking/evaluating tip I gave you in the middle will help you evaluate photos like #3, and avoid even pressing the shutter until your eye tells you you have a good viewpoint and a good image.

Enjoy the "free film" a d-slr provides; in six months you'll be kickin' butt!

and I was expecting the Obamas ;)

love the first one. 2nd one is as they said a little plain. maybe a closer shot of the car. car is almost same color as background also. 3rd one looks like camera focused on the bottom right leaf a little too much.

is that your car in the 2nd pic?

I really like the first one!

Yeah I knew the thrid one wasn't that great, but i am not good at macro photo's so I thought I would through it up to see what I can do to get better. That was actually the very first picture I took with the camera.

Yeah that is my A4 in the second picture, B6 A4 FTW is right :D. I have a few differnt angles with that backdrop, and even did a few HDR's there. I can post them up, they prob are a little better than this picture.

Then the first one was the one I thought was the best, but still def. need to work on it. I have been practicing my editing on it to see how it turned out with different settings.

I have been shooting all of these in RAW format so they would edit a little better. Thanks again everyone for the C&C

The first photo is great. I think you captured the sunset perfectly

I love the first one! I love the hue you've got on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back