First DSLR and first post

stepbill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was following the thread "Looking for my first DSLR" and got alot of great info. I currently have a Kodak DX 6490 p&s and want to upgrade. I can not stand the lag when taking a picture. I'm leaning towards the Nikon D40 cause the live view does not mean all that much to me. Would it be best to just buy the body itself and then add lenses? I thought about buying the body and the 55mm F/1.8D. Would this be a good start or should I buy the lense that comes with the camera? Thanks for the help. I'm trying to go slow and buy as I can afford it.

Welcome to the forum.

My only concern about the D40 is the lack of an internal AF motor. If you look around the forum, I'm sure you will find plenty of discussion on that issue...including at least one person who has the D40 and already wants to upgrade to a camera with an AF motor.

I would also suggest looking at the entry level DSLR cameras from Canon, Sony & Pentax.

Personally, since you are a beginner (I am too) I think getting a kit lens with the D40 is not a bad choice.

I am a Canon user, but I believe the 50mm F/1.8 Lens will work with the D40 but you cannot use the Autofocus. For a beginner, I believe it is better to use the one with Autofocus. Once you learn more and know more, you will know what other lens you would like to have.

They're correct. A lot of Nikon's large aperture prime lenses aren't yet updated to "AF-S", which is the type of lens the D40's needs to autofocus support. It's still really easy to manually focus though. Just select an AF sensor, manually turn the focus ring, and watch for the AF confirmation dot in the lower left corner of the finder. You still get electronic focus assist so it's not totally unguided manual.

They're correct. A lot of Nikon's large aperture prime lenses aren't yet updated to "AF-S", which is the type of lens the D40's needs to autofocus support. It's still really easy to manually focus though. Just select an AF sensor, manually turn the focus ring, and watch for the AF confirmation dot in the lower left corner of the finder. You still get electronic focus assist so it's not totally unguided manual.

Mav.

I did not know that. If that is the case, it is not that bad. At least you know when the camera think it is correctly focused. Are you still able to use the focus point in the camera? I have nine in my XTi but I do not know much on the D40. I know on the D60, it has a center square and to bracket on the left and right. (actually, I like my nine points than the one in the D60)

Yup the AF sensors still function. You just have to do the focus ring rotation though rather than the camera, and watch for the light to know you're in focus. Very easy with a fixed subject, but harder with something moving, but still doable, especially if you stop down to f/2.8 or f/4 or smaller.

I would also suggest looking at the entry level DSLR cameras from Canon, Sony & Pentax.
+1

Sony's a great choice also. I have an A200 with a 50mm f/1.4 and I love the both of them. You don't have to drop the money on the 50mm f/1.4 from Sony but if you go around to yard sales and such, you could probably find a Minolta Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 for quite cheap and it'd still autofocus with any Sony Alpha body you put it on. Everyone who has this lens thinks that's it's a great deal for the money you put on it. The prices on these are rising quickly though.

Craigslist. D50 on the cheap (dont pay more than 300/350 for it). 50MM lens. Profit.

Well, I took the plung and ordered the Nikon D40 kit with the basic lense and also ordered the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lense and an 8 gb card. Can't wait for it to arrive. I'm going to a motorcycle event the weekend of June 28th and intend to use it plenty there.

Well, I took the plung and ordered the Nikon D40 kit with the basic lense and also ordered the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lense and an 8 gb card. Can't wait for it to arrive. I'm going to a motorcycle event the weekend of June 28th and intend to use it plenty there.

Have fun with it.

If you go to the Nikon USA website, you can download the manual and get a head start on learning how to use your new camera!

Despite the auto-focus motor, the D40 is a great camera. I love mine and the overwhelming majority of D40 owners I've seen on the internet are extremely happy! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back