In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you missed Part 1, it's here.

I didn't intend to break it into two threads, but didn't really want to miss my bus and end up at work all night either. :D

So..continuing my saga of the fledgling Ospreys:

6. After a few minutes of rest, Juvenile #2 begins anew the effort to fly:

7. Really seems to be getting the hang of it:

8. I really thought for sure we had "Lift Off" with this one!! He came SOOO close to leaving the nest, but in the end, he landed back down in the nest.

9. Here, I think he might just be having a little juvenile temper tantrum..."Look, I'm *trying* this stupid flight thing, can't you see that?!? Now bring me some durn fish!!"

10. At some point here, Juvenile #1 comes flying back to the nest. Now, here comes an adult...with FISH!

11. Thwarted again!! The adult Osprey came SO close to landing and depositing that fish in the nest, but then it suddenly takes right back off again. WITH the fish!

12. After a couple of minutes, the other adult comes flying into the nest, but without a fish. Then, right behind her, the first Osprey comes back, WITH the fish. Pretty sure it was the same fish; it looked the same, plus it had little pieces of twigs stuck to it from the previous landing in the nest. This was also the only time all day that all four Ospreys were in the nest together.

13. Food, finally!!!

14. Juvenile 1, the one that has already fledged, now takes the fish and begins "testing" what it's like to fly with a fish in its talons.

15. Juvenile 1 takes flight again, trying to show #2 how it's done.

July27_0533editweb by sm4him, on Flickr

There's quite a few more of the series on my flickr page; a few of them are probably actually better photos than a few of what I've chosen here, but I chose the ones that best told the story.

I still wish I'd gotten to actually witness that first flight from the nest, but what I did see was pretty highly entertaining!

As usual general comments and witty banter are welcome here! Thanks for letting me share my story with you.

Terrific set AND great storytelling. I almost woke up Mr. Squirrels giggling about 14 and 15!

I think your trying to give coastalconn a run for his money :)

really great photos in both sets.

Starting trouble I see :greenpbl: I told Sharon on flickr it was an awesome series and that it is great to see how much progress she has made.. Of course posting great shots of my favorite subject would give anyone brownie points :)

Excellent set. Couldn't pick a favorite or even two.

Great series of images and I really like the story that goes with them. Thanks for sharing.

WesternGuy

Thanks everyone; glad you enjoyed them! I certainly enjoyed both the experience and the re-telling of it. Watching these guys just never seems to get old.

really great photos in both sets.

Thanks, Matthew. I think I have a very long way to go to catch either you OR Kris, but even being placed in the same ballpark is a compliment I'll definitely take!

Starting trouble I see :greenpbl: I told Sharon on flickr it was an awesome series and that it is great to see how much progress she has made.. Of course posting great shots of my favorite subject would give anyone brownie points :)

Thanks, Kris; if YOU think they are that good, it's high praise indeed. Truth is, I was just very fortunate to stumble upon this nest so incredibly close to the road. When I came across this nest back in late March, I was actually looking for an entirely different place--had the GPS taken me where I *thought* I wanted to go, I'd never have found this nest.
This is definitely a case of more luck than skill--but that's okay by me!

I don't know if they are my "favorite" bird to photograph, but they are certainly way up on the list. I love pretty much all of the raptors, but the Osprey do tend to be a bit more accessible, and entertaining, with all their dives and such. They are quite addicting!

Im just messing around not trying to cause any trouble, haha.

Im just messing around not trying to cause any trouble, haha.
LOL, I know :)

And Sharon, love your story telling also.. :)

Thanks, Kris! Most of you know by now that I love telling a story as well as sharing photography. Unfortunately for the majority here, there are just enough of you who actually seem to enjoy and encourage my longwindedness...err, Descriptive narratives...to keep me going. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back