First full frame camera advice

jamiebonline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all

So I'd like advice on my first full frame camera. Let me give you some info to help....

I have a lot of experience with Nikon and like Nikon. I loved the D7000 when I had it.

I currently have two Nikon lenses. A 50 1.8 and an 85 1.8. Sadly the latter is faulty but still of some use.

I don't want an APSC camera so don't suggest it. Nothing wrong with them, I am just sure I want full frame now. (I am not planning to buy into expensive ff zooms. I am a prime man and can happily survive with 1.8 series primes for the most part)

I shot Sony A6000 before and didn't like the ergonomics but if someone can persuade me to get a Sony A7, I am listening.

I am not so interested in video. It is handy but not very important. I do mostly non-studio portrait work as well as some travel and documentary photography. No sport or fast stuff. I do some cropping but nothing too heavy.

My budget is 900 euro. I am fine with used or factory refurb. Please no suggestions for cameras that are over this price. I am not stretching.

Also, this might be relevant if Nikon or Sony are due to release a new model and the price of the previous one drops again, I have a couple of months before I buy it.

Thanks a lot for the help

You have the Nikon D600, D610 refurbished models in that price range.

I went from a D7000 to a D600. Felt very similar. The d600 is a tad larger but not by much, some of the left buttons are slightly different. But most everything from the D7x00 to the D750 line is mostly the same in functionality, similar menus, feel, etc.

I shoot a d750 and D500 now.

You have the Nikon D600, D610 refurbished models in that price range.

I went from a D7000 to a D600. Felt very similar. The d600 is a tad larger but not by much, some of the left buttons are slightly different. But most everything from the D7x00 to the D750 line is mostly the same in functionality, similar menus, feel, etc.

I shoot a d750 and D500 now.

D600 would be an excellent choice for sure!!!

The D600 is the current "bargain"FX camera....good sensor performance. D610 costs a bit more.

I'm like you, love the size and IQ of the A6000 but hate the ergonomics. I've played around with the A7 and the feel is pretty much the same. (like a camel is a horse designed by a committee) I went from the D7000 to the D750 and WOW it was a huge step up for me. Like others have said, in your price range, the D600-D610 refurb. is the way to go, very solid camera. But, if you can dig up a bit more cash, the D750 is worth it. (jmho)

Last edited:
I'm like you, love the size of the A6000 but hate the ergonomics. I've played around with the A7 and the feel is pretty much the same. (like a camel is a horse designed by a committee) I went from the D7000 to the D750 and WOW it was a huge step up for me. Like others have said, in your price range, the D600-D610 refurb. is the way to go, very solid camera. But, if you can dig up a bit more cash, the D750 is worth it. (jmho)
Yeah, the step from the D7000 16mp DX to the D600 24mp FF was gigantic in relation to IQ and low light.

There's still a large margin between the top D500 20mp DX and D750 24mp FF too in relation to low light performance.

A used D600 would be an excellent choice!

Used Nikon D610, no brainer, great camera with great sensor!

You also have the choices of D3 and D700, which are old but awesome, build like tanks etc. No video and "only" 12 Megapixel though.

for the money, you cant go wrong with a used/refurbished D600 (or D610 if you can find one in that price range)
the 24mp sensor in nikons newer cameras are really hard to beat and give significant advantages in dynamic range and ISO handling over older sensors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back