First maternity shoot coming up :)

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright... so... Here is what I have posted on my other forum... Just thought I'd come here and see what everyone here could offer me since there is more traffic here :)

Doing a maternity shoot on Thursday for a friend :) I am definitely going to do all the "cliche" shots... With her daughter's hands on the belly, daughter kissing the belly, we are going to write the new baby's name on her belly with washable marker (Baby's name is Mackenzie and I don't think I have the blocks to make her name lol), and we are going to do the hand shaped heart thing, and the ribbon around the belly, etc... I'm EXTREMELY excited :) I can't wait! But, I have to force myself to finish these bridal pictures that I did on Sunday BEFORE Thursday so I don't have to worry about 2 sessions! I'm going to be busy over the next couple months :) lol

She has a bay window in her house, so we are definitely going to make use of that... She is going to be wearing a black top and a pair of regular jeans.... Her daughter is 2 1/2 and has a black dress and a matching bow for the dress taht we are going to dress her in and we are going to do the normal sibling stuff the nursery is done (mama is 37 weeks pregnant) so there is plenty of stuff in there we could use... We could do the thing where mama is holding her belly and looking into the crib...

Here are the shots I have come up with that I definitely want to do (I have a couple other maternity shoots coming up as well, so I don't have to do all of these with just this session)

1. Bow around the belly with pink ribbon (I also have some pink ribbon that says "Princess" on it in silver letters)
2. I found some stickers that are actually chip board that have letters on them and are kind of gender neutral, but they are REALLY cute and I want to use them to put baby's initials on the side of her belly. I might even have the letters for baby's name...
3. I have a pink bow that we can stick on top of her belly like it's a bow on a girls head.
4. Big sister is going to do the normal stuff... Hands on the belly, kissing the belly, resting her head on mama's belly, etc.
5. Pair of baby booties on the belly :)

Alright, so maybe I don't need suggestions now... I just need to make a list of all the shots I want to get...

I might see if she wants to get brave and use my black king size sheet that I usually use as a back drop and do the thing where she wraps it around her chest and then under her belly... I'm not sure if I'm capable of making that look good, but it might be worth a shot :)

Wow :) I'm excited :) Can anyone tell? :) lol

Really? Just a good luck? No tips, suggestions, "you've got it under control", nothing else? :(

Sounds like you will do a wonderful job and it sounds like you are going to really enjoy the shoot as much as the mother is

lol thanks morpheuss :) Is that just an ego boost or are you serious? :)

Hey I am excited for you, like you I have a maternity shoot coming up too and I am really excited! I have a little idea for you :) With that pink ribbon, make a tag looking lable on your computer that says " Don't Not Open Until (whatever the due date is) I really like this idea! It's really cute. If you don't get the mental picture then just google it :)

yeah.. I've been googling all night looking for different maternity photos... and ALL I CAN FIND is stuff that is nude or partial nude :/

I'm not comfortable with any amount of nudity so it won't be happening and that fking frustrates me.

I have my 1st two maternity shoots coming up next week and the week after, so I also spent a lot of time researching.

My favorite idea is to shape the mother's hands into a heart and have her place them against her belly with her belly button showing through the middle of the heart. If the father will be in the picture you can also have him stand behind her and place his hands over hers in the same heart shape.

I actually found the perfect-sized wooden heart at Michael's to stick in the heart shaped by the hands. I can't wait to shoot.

Good luck with your shoot.

Yeah, I am trying to avoid SOME of the cliche stuff... I've seen that done and while it's really cute, I think it is borderline over done :/ And yes, so is the bow around the belly thing, and the older sibling stuff...

I don't see booties done very often anymore... and I've not really seen a lot of women let someone draw the baby's name on their belly anymore. I am actually going to draw the baby's name on my friend's belly for the last set of pictures :) It's going to be in primary colors (because I didn't get the girly color markers for my daughter for school.. I'm a horrible mom! lol) and it's going to be pretty... I haven't seen anything like that in a long time.. if ever? I am trying to look at things to get my "own" ideas based off of something else. I hate to just be "normal" and just copy what everyone else has already done a million times!

you can use the blocks that have numbers and letters on them to say baby or the babies name if they have picked it out.

Can't wait to see them!
What about the mommy holding an empty picture frame in front of her baby bump...at an angle perhaps. I see a lot of portraits for kids done like that...think itd work for a maternity shoot..something black and white maybe?!
I really like the 'gift tag'idea..
Or even have her hold one of her ultra sound shots in front of her belly....and do a low shot from the arms down or something just get the belly and ultra sound pic. There's always those sticky 'foam' stickers u can buy at walmart or any craft store. They come in all sizes....could use those instead of blocks too...

That's all I can think of for right now.

Ok so everyone does the hearts... how about this: I saw one shot of a mom's belly covered in blue and pink post it notes with the possible names of the baby written on them.

I'd love to try this myself... but in this day it's very rare for the parents to wait to find out the sex. So if the mommy you're shooting falls into this category go for it.

You could also do this if they just haven't figured out the name yet.

Oooo... What about laying her on her side...dropping real flowers or something on/around her tummy....like a 'floral' maternity shoot thing? Maybe lay her in a grassy field? Or on a dark backdrop...

Sorry if my ideas are lame...hopefully they helped a little :/ good luck

lol thanks morpheuss :) Is that just an ego boost or are you serious? :)

No I'm completely serious. You sound as excited as a dad going to see the first ultrasound... and I love all your ideas I will have to steal some of your ideas if i ever do a maternity shoot.

Really? Just a good luck? No tips, suggestions, "you've got it under control", nothing else? :(

Yep, just 'Good luck' - that's unknown territory for me. This is one area of photography that I have and will never venture into. Homey don't do materinty!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back