First "modeling" shots..heh

Foques

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foquesphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend of mine is an aspiring model. We were at the beach this weekend, and I just snapped a few shots of him.. let me know what you think.
tia
1)

2806499921_ce2c1f2b75.jpg

2)
2806499759_8b81de3c6d.jpg

3)
2807347854_f7f7e96705.jpg

4)
2807347684_7d24a46d5b.jpg

5)
2806532809_1286a9e623.jpg

They look a little too posed for my taste

isnt that what "models" do?

You need a reflector, harsh shadows = no no!
The second one he looks gay, doesnt go with his manly look.
First is the best IMHO

thank you very much Prodigy. I don't have the reflector just yet.. not that far in my photo adventures, yet.
Would you mind explaining how it would help, though? Redirect light from the right side?

Ive never used one before but im pretty sure you can make one easily, get a piece of foam board of carb board and cover one side with aluminum foil and lets say in the second shot you would have someone hold it to HIS right (camera left), and the light would be reflected and bounce back into his shadows on his body to make them not so harsh. Never tried it, but thats what ive heard :)

Ive never used one before but im pretty sure you can make one easily, get a piece of foam board of carb board and cover one side with aluminum foil and lets say in the second shot you would have someone hold it to HIS right (camera left), and the light would be reflected and bounce back into his shadows on his body to make them not so harsh. Never tried it, but thats what ive heard :)

I'd recommend against this. This will most likely be too reflective and produce odd shadow patterns. If you can't afford (or don't want to buy) commerical reflectors, white or light-yellow cardstock or foam-core will work very well. One of the goals of reflectors (normally) is to produce diffuse light.

Fine, use a bed sheet.... lol anything around the house will do...

I think i am going to buy a foldable one.

WalMart automotive is your friend; when the $40-something-each foldable reflectors from B&H are relabeled as windshield sunshades the price goes down to $7 per pair.

They appear to be available in at least three sizes, and a choice of the reflective side being white or silvery fabric. The silvery stuff is plenty rough to give good diffusion to the light, and the back of either type is black to serve as a nice big barn door for flash work.

While you're close to the craft section, look at the "stencil blanks;" three 8x10" sheets of pretty good flexible plastic diffuser material for about $3. Cut, fold, and add some tape for all sorts of interesting accessories.

I like #5 the best, but you cropped in a bit too tight, and your horizon isn't straight.

As suggest a white reflector will really help the look of these. Also, try not making him look directly into the sun, he's squinting in all the shots except 5 :p Shaded areas help when working with models. The shade of a tree acts as a natural diffuser for the sun, you still need reflectors to fill in a bit of light though (or an off camera flash)

Most reactions

Back