First night on the Job

Stibbs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Guys,
Extremely new to photography, managed to get work at a small nightclub. I didnt have much of an idea of what settings to use and ****, so i just threw myself in the deep end and winged it! I had heaps of fun!! Soo good meeting people and experimenting with creativity and the like..

Anyway, heres just a few snaps from Thursday...

1, Dancefloor shot,
2, General room shot, showing what i have to work with
3, Standard couple shot, no laser/smoke interference

Just looking for feedback on what was my first night out, loved it!
Cheers Guys

View attachment 36483View attachment 36484View attachment 36485

How new are you to photography?

I got the Camera November last Year, I've used pretty much the clickwheel settings up until last thursday at the club haha

Forgive my bluntness...
But, you're new to photography.
You've had your camera since November.
You have just now started using a mode other than auto.
...and you're taking paying gigs?

Why?

You have limited skill, knowledge, and equipment at this point. You should take the time to learn photography prior to trying to monetize it. I know this sounds rude, but there was another night club photographer in a similar boat recently on here.

There's much more to photography than simply pointing a camera and clicking a shutter. There's composition, exposure, and proper technique. These are things that simply cannot be learned overnight.

With that being said, I am not trying to discourage you from shooting. Not at all. But take time to learn before "jumping in." It's unfair to who's handing you money.

Why you ask?
Because that's how I like to learn..
I understand I'm very new, I understand I'm not going to learn over night..
But I am researching heavily and I enjoy it

However,
One,.. I'm not asking to be paid.
Two,.. The club is small, out of city etc.. and,
Three,.. The manager understands that I don't have years of experience.

I think that justify's my reason but I do understand where your coming from and I respect that.

Stibbs... are you working at the club and taking pictures because you're there, or were you hired to take pictures at the club? It wasn't clear to me. I assumed the former.

I contacted the manager, asking if they needed a photographer for certain nights, so yes I am solely working there as a photographer...

Ah.

Well, then, you're likely going to be whomped on a bit. Though I could have sworn Tyler left in a huff some months back. He seems to have come back entirely to whomp on people.

Anyway... I've seen worse shots, really. From a high level, I'd say play as much as you can with the lights, watch your distractions (that crap on the left there in that third shot isn't helping you any).

Beyond that I can't offer you too much advice. I've done very little time in clubs.

Ah.

Well, then, you're likely going to be whomped on a bit. Though I could have sworn Tyler left in a huff some months back. He seems to have come back entirely to whomp on people.

Anyway... I've seen worse shots, really. From a high level, I'd say play as much as you can with the lights, watch your distractions (that crap on the left there in that third shot isn't helping you any).

Beyond that I can't offer you too much advice. I've done very little time in clubs.

Grow up, Chris. I did no "womping." I was gentle compared to some of the stuff you post. If you think people should get paid for work without proper knowledge and training, that's your own deal. I'm trying to help this guy avoid a lawsuit later in his photographic career. I could have said much, much worse.

Well that's why I'm here, partly to gain knowledge and understanding, here tips from other members and get to know people and see other stuff that's out there..

Also, those shots have not been post-processed at all, just straight from the camera...

cheers.

What I would suggest you do, OP... Have the owner trade in services if you want to accept payment of some type. IMO it's less likely to make anyone upset if you can't fully deliver. Generally owners of businesses are more willing to trade drinks for photos or something of that sort. That way you get to learn, and money isn't directly exchanging hands until you've got a better setup/knowledge to adequately shoot nightclub photography.

He is more than happy to do that currently and I do feel I'm not in a position to ask for any payment just yet. I am happy to just cruise around and learn things as I go which is why i approached that particular club..

He is more than happy to do that currently and I do feel I'm not in a position to ask for any payment just yet. I am happy to just cruise around and learn things as I go which is why i approached that particular club..

:thumbup:

I approve of your attitude fine sir! Keep shooting and enjoy!

A few pointers - direct flash, which is what you used, really brings out the worse in people (appearance-wise). If they have any sweat on their faces, that tends to reflect the light, and it shows up as glare - not flattering. There are ways around that, but you need to shoot with some kind of bracket and light modifier to make the flash more "open" and to get it away from the main axis of the lens.

#1 - does show the "party" atmosphere.

#2 - other showing a bunch of people (and not too clearly), there is too much stuff at the periphery of the image. You need to think about what you want the image to convey - is it "ambiance", or lots of people, or the lights, or... and depending on what you decide to convey, there will be different ways to accomplish that.

#3 - too much background distraction, direct flash is not flattering to the lady on the right. If you are going to do these kinds of shots, you need a cleaner background, and much better lighting.

The comments you got from Manaheim and Tyler are really directed at your lack of knowledge of how to use the light you have in a difficult situation (a dark nightclub with irregular lighting), with equipment that may or may not be adequate to task. You could do the learning through trial and error, but that is not the easiest way. Look through the internet images and see which nightclub ones really look appealing - then study how the images were frames, what kind of light was used, and what made those images appealing - once you know what you want to end up with, then it will become a process of controlling all the variables that either help or hinder you from getting those results.

I think Tyler is pointing out that at this stage, there's much that you just don't know, even to the point of not being able to ask the right questions. That is normal - we all went through that. What is somewhat unusual is to try and make money at something you have so little knowledge of. Photography is a craft. Despite the advertisements that claim that (x-brand) camera will give you great pictures all the time, that's basically marketing BS. It does take knowledge, and understanding. And once you begin to understand how things combine to make an image, you'll also have a better idea of the gear you need to make those images effective. Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back