First night on the Job

+1 for the flash bracket and external flash as pgriz mentioned. Very nice combo for night clubs. There are also some very versatile brackets to be had.

Ah.

Well, then, you're likely going to be whomped on a bit. Though I could have sworn Tyler left in a huff some months back. He seems to have come back entirely to whomp on people.

Anyway... I've seen worse shots, really. From a high level, I'd say play as much as you can with the lights, watch your distractions (that crap on the left there in that third shot isn't helping you any).

Beyond that I can't offer you too much advice. I've done very little time in clubs.

Grow up, Chris. I did no "womping." I was gentle compared to some of the stuff you post. If you think people should get paid for work without proper knowledge and training, that's your own deal. I'm trying to help this guy avoid a lawsuit later in his photographic career. I could have said much, much worse.

Which would have been in line with your typical behavior around here since your triumphant return, so far be it for me to be reading between the lines a bit on your remarks.

A few pointers - direct flash, which is what you used, really brings out the worse in people (appearance-wise). If they have any sweat on their faces, that tends to reflect the light, and it shows up as glare - not flattering. There are ways around that, but you need to shoot with some kind of bracket and light modifier to make the flash more "open" and to get it away from the main axis of the lens.

by getting it away from the axis of the lens do you mean 'off camera flash'? because i had the flash pointing 45* up with the little diffuser card down..
I'm looking to get one of those Omni-boot things,

BTW I have Canon 600D
430EX II Flash
and I used 17-55 Kit lens

Thanks for the feedback though! appreciate it...

Here's another from a different angle
$IMG_2069.JPG

Oh a DIFFUSER card... ok THAT explains it. It didn't look quite as strong as dead-on flash, but didn't look like you had bounced it either.

When they say "off-camera", they're referring to a flash bracket that keeps the flash with you but puts it off-center by 6-10". Doesn't seem like a ton, but it really helps. Bouncing off the ceiling helps a lot, too, but that place looked like it had black ceilings so that was not going to work for you most likely. A flash card is a decent idea, but you want a REALLY big one. The more area you have the more disspersed the light will be. You can make a nice one using that white foam-like sheet material you can get at craft stores. Put a black one on the back for a nice backing and stick it to your flash with velcro. If you curve it a bit it will also help the diffusion. It makes a nice tool.

But the flash bracket would also be awesome.

Stibbs, to do reasonably nice flash photography in places such as nightclubs, you need three things:
1) A flash bracket to hold the flash away from the camera (see something like this: Stroboframe Quick Flip 350 Bracket 310-635 B&H Photo Video)
2) A diffuser on the flash to make the source larger and to not waste it lighting up the whole place (something like this: Lastolite Micro Apollo MkII 60 Softboxes 2214 - Vistek Canada Product Detail)
3) A ETTL extension cable that allows the flash and camera to work using E-TTL (something like this: Amazon.com: Promaster Flash Extension Cord - Off-Camera TTL - Canon: Camera & Photo)

That will get you pretty decent light, as long as you're shooting no more than (say) 10 ft. away. To get the maximum out of the images you take, you should also shoot in RAW (many threads on this, but essentially, it allows you much more control over your image after-the-fact), and do some post-shooting cleanup in something like Lightroom (sharpening, white balance, etc.). Of course, you now have to learn how to use E-TTL metering, how to figure out appropriate exposure (ambient and flash are two different exposures that happen at the same time), how to select the best ISO to get maximum utility out of your rig, how to do post-processing to make the images attractive (SOOC- Straight-Out-Of-Camera doesn't do that, pos-processing provides the "zing" that many professionals deliver), and build up some arm muscles as that rig is not lightweight.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
And with all that crap on your camera you'll look like RoboPhotographer and all the ladies will think you're super hawt.

:)

... speaks the guy with the lightsaber ;).

We know why you play with that thing.

clubs/bar owners want to see their facility packed with people having fun. Even if there is a small crowd you can shoot to make it seem like a large crowd. When the place is packed, be sure to get that.

Focus on the people...the lights/colors. Not trash cans. lol

pic one could have been cool. pic two is awful, insta-delete...it's nothing but colorful blur..and not cool blur...and a trash can. pic 3 is about what you'd see from anyone with a cell phone.

Take some time, practice, learn composition and how to use your flash in a club environment, no idea what gear you have, but lenses are very important for club shooting.

You have a cool opportunity to come out with great things and quick local notoriety...on the same token...you have an opportunity to come out looking like any Joe with a camera as well.

... speaks the guy with the lightsaber ;).

We know why you play with that thing.

Sadly... I have one of those super fancy replica ones on the wall in my home office. :)

Of course. Better than etchings for charming the sweet young things. Oh wait. You're married and have kids. Let's recalibrate that. Home defence. That's what it's for. Yep. Except that you may need some lessons, as it's no coincidence that the appearance of the light saber also marked the demise of the top hat and the stash. Those lightbeams cut through everything, don't they?!

Ah.

Well, then, you're likely going to be whomped on a bit. Though I could have sworn Tyler left in a huff some months back. He seems to have come back entirely to whomp on people.

Anyway... I've seen worse shots, really. From a high level, I'd say play as much as you can with the lights, watch your distractions (that crap on the left there in that third shot isn't helping you any).

Beyond that I can't offer you too much advice. I've done very little time in clubs.

Grow up, Chris. I did no "womping." I was gentle compared to some of the stuff you post. If you think people should get paid for work without proper knowledge and training, that's your own deal. I'm trying to help this guy avoid a lawsuit later in his photographic career. I could have said much, much worse.

Which would have been in line with your typical behavior around here since your triumphant return, so far be it for me to be reading between the lines a bit on your remarks.

Do me a favor, and don't read my remarks at all if you're going to suggest that I'm "womping" on people, when I clearly am not.

kthx.

+1 for proper gear...I just hold the flash in my left hand and aim it as each shot dictates. - bouncing, up, aimed at the people etc... every shot is going to be different. Also, slow shutter speed with rear curtain sync on the flash. That way, you get all the tracers and motion blur but the flash freezes everyone in focus at the very end. -takes practice. Your right arm is going to get a workout handling the camera for a few hours...

Gotta agree with the more experienced posters here in general however, as a newbie I asked a local band (and the venue) if I could photograph them to test my skills and no payment. Can't post you the pics as I am travelling and only have my iPhone. However, as a learni g experience it was great. It taught me a lot about how to fail and also how to analyse myself and my true skill level. Where I live there is little or no chance of a law suit provided that I am not providing a service for reward.

As the more experienced guys have said, watch that it's not a job in any aspect and learn from it. If you become a better photographer, enjoy the experience.

Note - I am and always will be an enthusiast as I love photography too much to add the pressure of business to something I enjoy. Credo to the guys that do.

P. s. I found a 135 f2 amazing for band shots :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back