First paid maternity session - HELP please! ;)

vickig.photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I guess I posted this in the wrong spot before, oops!, but I'd love some advice. I just booked my first paid maternity session, and my client and her husband will be dressed in traditional African garb. I had wanted to shoot outdoors as I don't have any lighting equipment yet, but they are worried that a park/outdoor setting might not go with the style of their dress. I've tried googling for ideas, but not much comes up. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking I might bring white and black sheets to use as backdrops outside just in case, but I'm kind of at a loss. I want them to be happy with their photos, but now I'm nervous! Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

-Vicki​

This is of course their choice to have the setting they want, that being said...I would get a idea from them of what they think an appropriate background would be. Once you get that from them find an area that will best fit that, and adjust your DOF to throw the background out of focus. This will leave the color suggestion to match there outfits to certain environments. In my experience traditional African dress is usually vibrant colors and multiple detailed patterns. This makes for great opportunity to use a black background with minimal lighting on your subject. This can be accomplished with one soft light and one medium to bright light, depending on your clients skin tones.This also sets you up to do the traditional silhouette shots. If it is cost effective rent a simple light system and practice with stand ins.

If you are charging you should be able to cover every eventuality which means you should have some form of off camera flash. I can see a train crash ahead :lol:

I just booked my first paid maternity session, I don't have any lighting equipment, they are worried I might bring white and black sheets to use as backdrops outside just in case, but I'm kind of at a loss. I want them to be happy with their photos, but now I'm nervous! Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:
-Vicki [/INDENT]

Above is what I got out of your post.
I know this is going to sound harsh, but why are you getting paying clients if you are not ready or have the proper equipment.
Bedsheets at the park are going to look like bed sheets. If you are unable to to meet your clients needs, you need to refer them to someone that can.

I am sorry this is harsh, it is nothing against your abilities, but it sounds like you are in over your head. You need to scout the proper location and get some lighting to do this right.

News Flash!

You need lighting equipment, and the knowledge how to use it, to shoot outside too!

In fact, to shoot outside, you usually need more gear than if you shoot inside.

DRoberts, I appreciate your sincere advice, duly noted. I'm looking at locations that would stick to one color background, like building walls and greenery and adjust the DOF accordingly to highlight the people and try to minimize the background.

What I'd like to say to the others who posted, it seems great for you that you were able to start your businesses with all the fancy lighting and full head of knowledge, but unless you had a bunch of money to throw at it right away, I'm pretty sure that you probably had to start at the bottom and learn to utilize what you had to the best of your ability before you could afford all the fancy lighting and equipment. I do have off camera flash, just not quite up to par for an in-house session (I'm not going to set myself up for that at this point) and of course I'm going to scope out locations beforehand.

Thanks!

DRoberts, I appreciate your sincere advice, duly noted. I'm looking at locations that would stick to one color background, like building walls and greenery and adjust the DOF accordingly to highlight the people and try to minimize the background.

What I'd like to say to the others who posted, it seems great for you that you were able to start your businesses with all the fancy lighting and full head of knowledge, but unless you had a bunch of money to throw at it right away, I'm pretty sure that you probably had to start at the bottom and learn to utilize what you had to the best of your ability before you could afford all the fancy lighting and equipment. I do have off camera flash, just not quite up to par for an in-house session (I'm not going to set myself up for that at this point) and of course I'm going to scope out locations beforehand.

Thanks!

How long have you had a camera and been shooting ?

Hi gsgary! Well I've had a camera in hand since childhood but have really been developing my skills only in the last few years since I got my Canon 30D. I've primarily always done landscapes, objects, and pet portraits but now I'm trying to jump over to photograph people at the urging of friends and family (I know...potential for failure with American Idol syndrome - not everyone who tells you that you're pretty good knows what's up! LOL). I guess in response to your original post, I'm confident in my skills but at what point do you stop "practicing" for free and jump into it for real?

I think with the African garb as you put it, it's going to be very hard to tell that it is a maternity shoot, from what i have seen some of the African clothing is long and flowing if you are not very careful she could end up looking overweight

Good point! I will need to make sure she's "hands on the belly" and side views as much as possible!

Not to sound harsh, but I've have a camera since childhood also (Practika MTL3 which I still own); I took two years of photography in HS (with SLR's) and a few years ago I got my D90. I studied animation and film at VFS and with with all my knowldege I would love to take photographs and charge people, but honestly it wont be fair as my experience in the photography business is limited.

Personally, in your situation I would give the gig to someone who has the proper knowledge and equipment and ask to shadow the photographer, and in this situation you have something to learn out of this gig. Sure you will be losing some money but think about the prospects which these clients might hook you up with... not to mention experience from shadowing the photographer which in fact has the right equipment, knowldege and might take you out as a second shooter on some random gigs. Think about the possibilities which might arise from knowing that well known photographer vs a 50$-100$ shoot.... For starters you will start to give advice instead of asking for newbie advice.

Again not to sound harsh but you would not ask for lighting advice if you had the required experience. Judging by the fact you're concerned about lighting, it sounds like you are using a kit lens on a 5 year old camera....not to mention similar questions are asked by new individuals which just purchased a DSRL and dont quite understand how to take a good picture.

Would you take your car to a mechanic which has a 100 piece tool kit without an appropriate venue to fix your car???

I don't understand how someone can say they're ready to charge, yet come on here and ask how to set up people, what setting to use, backdrops, locations, etc....

Thanks!

I would never start a business without a full head of knowledge!! Why would you? That makes no sense, you're just going to create a bad name for your business if you aren't completely sure of what your doing.

...I guess in response to your original post, I'm confident in my skills but at what point do you stop "practicing" for free and jump into it for real?

When you have gained sufficient knowledge and possess sufficient equipment.

NOTE: Lighting equipment does NOT have to be a full-on Pro-foto kit with six strobes, umbrellas, soft-boxes and portable power. Of all the lighting gear I own, the things that get used more than anything are three old Metz & Sunpak grip-style flashes which I purchased used via Craig's List. Total investment was something under a $100. For another $100 - 200 you can pick up a flash stand and umbrella, an optical trigger, and a couple of large pieces of white poster-board or foam-core which will make a dandy reflector.

Edited to add: since you mention "African garb" I'll assume that at least one of the clients has dark to black skin. This is going to present an even great exposure challenge. I honestly can't imagine being able to turn in a reasonable product without some supplementary lighting gear.

I would never start a business without a full head of knowledge!! Why would you? That makes no sense, you're just going to create a bad name for your business if you aren't completely sure of what your doing.

I'm not entirely sure that I see that as fair comment. No one (that I know of) has ever started a business with a "full head". You're always learning (or should be). Take a look at the product you produced for your first client; now look at that for your most recent. I'm sure there's some improvement, some change? I'm not suggesting that I agree with starting out without a sound understanding of the basics nor a good set of gear, but as for a full head....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back