First Photoshoot

Trjohn6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first post on ThePhotoForum, so hello all. But right to the point. I have always been interested in photography and after receiving a Nikon D3100 for my birthday, last month, I took the month learning as much as I could before taking serious images. Well, I felt I was ready to give it a go so took some images of my daughter for her pending birthday invites. I used Photoshop to edit. I would love for you to check them out and please be honest because I am looking to get much better not worse. Thank you

I used one window and a reflector. DD was facing the window directly.
$4th Birthday- London_-2.jpg

Welcome to TPF! For a first shoot, they're not bad. A few thoughts on ways to improve: First, get t the subject further away from the background (and maybe find a less busy background too) and use a larger aperture and longer focal length to render it less sharply. Right now it's really competing for the eye's attention and all we should be looking at is the child. I would also look into a reflector to reduce the dynamic range between left and right sides; not how her shirt is "blown" out on one side, that is it has not detail, and is rather shadowed on the other? Even something as simple as a piece of white posterboard would help to reflect the light back onto the subject and even up the exposure a little more. You don't want to eliminate all of the shadows, but nor do you want them to be quite so drastic.

Thanks for quick reply. I agree with distance but was nt possible in the spare room I was using. At the moment looking to start work in my empty garage. This could help me with being able to use longer focal lengths and that aperture effect I am looking for. Now reflectors is an area I need much more research with. Thanks for advice it is very helpful.

Your background is incredibly distracting.
The images are clean, clear and well focused. 1, 3, and 5 are well exposed. 2 and 4 are overexposed. The last one needs the light source to be evened out or a little reflector fill on the right side.
Your subject should never be that close to the background. You wouldn't have had to add the fake blur to it had you moved her away a couple of feet where she should have been

I see you figured out how to make that watermark pretty fast.

Just a personal opinion but I hate, and let me emphasis this word HATE when people put captions in the photos or over the subject... Just a personal opinion. It reminds me of middle school where it was cool to do that... okay I lied it was never cool to do that. If you want an invite for her birthday party I would use the picture and use a tradition invitation layout.

I agree with MLeek that the background is a total killer for me.

I see you figured out how to make that watermark pretty fast.

LOl, Nope no trouble at all with the watermark....fan of photoshop for years.

Thanks for all the feedback. First my first I didn't think it was too bad. But, am moving things into my garage now to get better distance. Also heading out for different backdrops...LOL... I see mines is hated.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with pretty much all that was said. If you're going to use words on your invite, maybe consider adding a white stroke (border) around the words (off the image of course)- depending on your settings a stroke of 2px-8px should work.

Personally I think the last one is your strongest image- it showcases your subject the best. Watch for chopped fingers in some of your images. It's best to shoot with too much void space on all sides and crop a little later. (and I've learned to give myself more room than I think I need- ordering canvas gallery wraps for my studio and it "wraps" the edges of the image around the sides- I've had a few images I wanted to use but didn't have room for the wrap)

Most reactions

Back