First Post. Ya'll run this one thru the ringer.

My dad is retired from CSX -- I'm sending him this link. He'll love the picture!!!

Thanks for sharing it.

Ask him if he'd like a poster sized print for the actual printing/shipping cost. I don't know where your dad is from, but folks on the CSX locally have been wonderful to my son and I.

It just occurred to me that full moon light could be perfect for this shot. Finding a similar shot angle, getting access again, and doing it on a brighter night may be tough, but I might just try. When I originally replied, my mind was stuck more on shooting earlier, at dusk.

A full moon occured to me, just enough light to bring out a bit more detail without losing what you wanted to achieve.

A full moon occured to me, just enough light to bring out a bit more detail without losing what you wanted to achieve.

Now I'm chomping at the bit to get back out on a full moon night. Thanks for your help.

i think i'd have cropped the first image so that the train to the left wasn't in there... there is a lot of dead space and it mostly distracts from the primary train with the light on.

otherwise, very nice exposure

Did I miss your screen name when reviewing the "forum leaders" list? It wasn't on there.

"Forum Leaders" are determined by post count not authority, wisdom, skill or any of that other useful information. Arrogance coupled with ignorance is not a good thing to have on a forum, wile your skill with a camera may win you some respect, it won't completely cover your ass. Abraxas was merely trying to show you how not to get onto the moderators sht list. Yes those are nice shots but, you are gonna wish to show a little more respect to the older wiser members and the forum guidelines. You will get better results that way.

Yes, I have read the rules. Thank you.

Especially the last line:

"critique. learn. have fun"

My post was in the "have fun" category.

Sheeeeesh.

The idea was have fun while learning and critiquing. General critical analysis is meant to contain tips and information that are useful to the OP as well as to all readers.

It is not meant to be a chat forum.

skieur

The idea was have fun while learning and critiquing. General critical analysis is meant to contain tips and information that are useful to the OP as well as to all readers.

It is not meant to be a chat forum.

skieur

Very interesting. I apologize for letting the OP know that I enjoyed his pictures.

See how much wasted space has been taken up with telling us that we shouldn't make such comments? If it had been left alone, the chat would have been long over.

Interesting.

I won't make that mistake again, I assure you.

"Forum Leaders" are determined by post count not authority, wisdom, skill or any of that other useful information. Arrogance coupled with ignorance is not a good thing to have on a forum, wile your skill with a camera may win you some respect, it won't completely cover your ass. Abraxas was merely trying to show you how not to get onto the moderators sht list. Yes those are nice shots but, you are gonna wish to show a little more respect to the older wiser members and the forum guidelines. You will get better results that way.

I honestly couldn't give a rip about someones post count on a web forum... That means absolutely NOTHING. How is it that your contribution to this thread is compliant with the rules you cite?

Back OT, the photo critique... I do appreciate the comments so far, despite the extra fluff provided by some.

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the starlight, and the trainlight. The colors are vivid and the scene is sharp as a tack. Killer job.

PS: Good God, can't we get through one freaking crit without everyone beating the crap out of each other?

Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the starlight, and the trainlight. The colors are vivid and the scene is sharp as a tack. Killer job.

PS: Good God, can't we get through one freaking crit without everyone beating the crap out of each other?

Thanks for your comments on the photo. One thing I do know about night shots is that a properly calibrated monitor is paramount. The lead post shot is way to dark on one of the monitors here at work. On others it looks great. I'm thinking this shot would print very well. I do think the full moon thing is something I want to give a try though.

I honestly couldn't give a rip about someones post count on a web forum... That means absolutely NOTHING. How is it that you contribution to this thread is compliant with the rules you cite?

Back OT, the photo critique... I do appreciate the comments so far, despite the extra fluff provided by some.

I'll admit, I'm overstepping my bounds a little bit, but I did not cite rules. A photographer is as much a part of a photo as the image displayed, I merely gave honest input and advice on how to fix the issue. Call it what you will, I viewed the images and continued reading, what I read from you has deteriorated the how I view those pictures to the point you where lucky I even mentioned them. Most of the people here are willing to help, but seriously do you honestly believe people are going to be willing to give an honest critique when you retort like that to a comment ment to help you acclimate into the forum?

I'll admit, I'm overstepping my bounds a little bit, but I did not cite rules. A photographer is as much a part of a photo as the image displayed, I merely gave honest input and advice on how to fix the issue. Call it what you will, I viewed the images and continued reading, what I read from you has deteriorated the how I view those pictures to the point you where lucky I even mentioned them. Most of the people here are willing to help, but seriously do you honestly believe people are going to be willing to give an honest critique when you retort like that to a comment ment to help you acclimate into the forum?

:lmao::confused::lmao::confused: From what's been posted here you know enough about me to make that opinion reasonable? Wow.

Folks, I'm not looking for a flame war, just honest opinions on my photos. :)

Thanks for your comments on the photo. One thing I do know about night shots is that a properly calibrated monitor is paramount. The lead post shot is way to dark on one of the monitors here at work. On others it looks great. I'm thinking this shot would print very well. I do think the full moon thing is something I want to give a try though.

I have a high def monitor that's calibrated weekly, and it looks smokin' good to me.

Yeah, a full moon might be good, but it might also compete too much. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

Most reactions

Back