What's new

First Shot using manual (Opinions)

Dylan96

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Location
New York
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I Just got my d7000 on Christmas Day and im having tons of fun with it! I went in my backyard and took some shots (most didn't look too well) This is the 1 picture I thought came out quite nice! Can I have some opinions? Thanks!!!!!

outside | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
 
White balance is off, too dark, composition is lacking ... you will improve just keep shooting and don't worry about getting it right at first lust shoot and learn
 
Your exif showed a tungsten wb, You should have used Cloudy or Auto from what I can See. Backing up would have helped get the whole subject in the frame. Looks a lot better that the all black shot from yesterday. Keep trying it will get easier.

:wink:
 
WB is off (you used a Tungsten white balance based on Exif) .. and underexposed.

Original
$obush.webp

Curves adjustment, brightening and contrast....
$cbush.webp

Just not really an interesting subject. Focus looks to be in the middle of the subject, but DOF is inadequate to cover entire subject.

Practice your metering.. learn to set your WB manually.....
 
Your exif showed a tungsten wb, You should have used Cloudy or Auto from what I can See. Backing up would have helped get the whole subject in the frame. Looks a lot better that the all black shot from yesterday. Keep trying it will get easier.

:wink:

thanks! I Tried reading the manual and it didnt really help me with the ISO/WB it just showed me where the buttons were and things.
 
Your exif showed a tungsten wb, You should have used Cloudy or Auto from what I can See. Backing up would have helped get the whole subject in the frame. Looks a lot better that the all black shot from yesterday. Keep trying it will get easier.

:wink:

thanks! I Tried reading the manual and it didnt really help me with the ISO/WB it just showed me where the buttons were and things.

I'll probably get slammed for saying this but I would set white balance to auto and get exposure figured out first. If you haven't already done so I would check out Lightroom. It has a 30 day trial. If you start shooting raw files you can fix the wb in post.
 
The tungsten portion has been covered already.. my only question is.. why? Who would want this picture?
 
The tungsten portion has been covered already.. my only question is.. why? Who would want this picture?

What he's doing is called practice. Maybe you would like to show your first shutter snap???
 
The tungsten portion has been covered already.. my only question is.. why? Who would want this picture?

What he's doing is called practice. Maybe you would like to show your first shutter snap???

No, but there's a reason to take pictures. My point is valid. Simply taking a shot is not a reason. When the OP posted "Can I have some opinions?".. that's my opinion. Why take this shot? You're taking a picture of a bunch of leaves, from a pretty standard angle.

I ask myself "why am i taking this shot" before every snap. It's a good practice.
 
The tungsten portion has been covered already.. my only question is.. why? Who would want this picture?

What he's doing is called practice. Maybe you would like to show your first shutter snap???

No, but there's a reason to take pictures. My point is valid. Simply taking a shot is not a reason. When the OP posted "Can I have some opinions?".. that's my opinion. Why take this shot? You're taking a picture of a bunch of leaves, from a pretty standard angle.

I ask myself "why am i taking this shot" before every snap. It's a good practice.

Yeah, you're probably right. Next time he should get a Pulitzer Prize or get shunned.
 
Not pointing anyone out but i think the OP wanted constructive criticism. Having snide remarks and trying to make a point can have tact. Obviously a newbie wanting to just take some shots. 2 weeks ago I didn't even know what what white balance was. Not everyone was born with artistic talents. My advise is for the OP is to look through some plant/vegetation shots from some of the veterans and see what can be done to improve the shot. I would do a shot with a darker background and maybe add some soft natural lights on the large leaf and do some blurring of the background. The sneakers would look good with old basketball or props to make it stand out more.

realized this was my first post after being on the forum for the past month. But sheez I can't stand to have someone just be so rude. Keep on taking the shots man, most will look bad but you will get lucky and will have that Ah-Ha moment.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom