First shot with the Canon T3i

Keedo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys i got the T3i monday, havent put it down yet. Last night i went to go take some pictures of everything nd i cannot seem to figure out how to get rid of the star/shine effect from lights.
381826_3007851798008_1313821097_3270674_1572497177_n.jpg
394009_3007851357997_1313821097_3270673_685064541_n.jpg
407232_3007852198018_1313821097_3270675_1297067397_n.jpg
All were taken with the 18-55 kit lens in manual modeIf anyone can help me thatd be great, thank you

You probably set your aperture to f22 or higher. Can you post your EXIF data (exposure time, aperture, ISO etc.)?

You probably set your aperture to f22 or higher. Can you post your EXIF data (exposure time, aperture, ISO etc.)?
I will when i get home, what is the best/fastest way to find that information about each picture?

I will when i get home, what is the best/fastest way to find that information about each picture?
For Windows, right click on the image -> Properties -> Details tab

the light is anoying, specially in the last one. You need to open the aperture. the second one would be better if you crop the light at top left and the shadow at the bottom right corner.

I think its brilliant how you can get the info from the pic how the camera records it all lol.

He's referring to EXIF data, not TPF members.

here is the information for each photo in order
F-stop f/36
Exposure Time-10 sec
ISO Speed - 800
Focal length - 55mm
F-stop f/25
Exposure Time-10 sec
ISO Speed - 800
Focal length - 28mm
F-stop f/36
Exposure Time-5 sec
ISO Speed - 800
Focal length - 55mm

also, sooo i bought some cheep 10 dollar filters not realizing they were bad. i am returning them

i have 2 lenses the kit lens for the t3i and EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

i will be taking pictures of basically everything i see thats interesting. cars, moving cars, objects, scenery, and more.

do i need more than one filter? or can i swap it out to each lens?

any recommendations for filters? and how much am i looking to spend for a decent one?

I was just going to ask if you had a filter on your lens. That is why the lights are doing that. I myself do not use filters.

I was just going to ask if you had a filter on your lens. That is why the lights are doing that. I myself do not use filters.
I suspect it is down to the excessively low aperture that he is having that happen. He is shooting at around minimum aperture. There are some extras from the filters but the starlight effect overall is from low aperture. There is a fair bit of flare which I would say is largely down to filters.

OP - If you shoot closer to say f/8 you will get sharper images and be able to use lower ISO. Try not to shoot at the absolute maximum as you will start to have DOF issues and the lens will perform better about 2 - 3 stops down from its maximum. If you want to eliminate the starlight effect altogether I suspect you will have to shoot earlier while there is more light. They will be more subdued at f/8 though

The "star effect" as you captured them is cause by a very high aperture (small aperture opening) causing longer exposure times possibly requiring higher ISO settings and increases the risk of camera shake while the image is captured.

I'd recommend to change a few things to reduce the risk of f-ups:

1. Try to shoot with the lowest ISO possible to minimize noise. Noise is something you want to keep down as much as you can.

2. Use an aperture which is considered the "sweet spot" of your particular lens. Then you will get the sharpest photos possible unless you intentionally want to shoot something with very shallow depth of field etc.

3. Obviously you cannot hand hold the camera for 5 seconds so just make sure in the future when shooting slower than 1/100 of a second to use a tripod and even try to use the sensor delay to minimize in-camera vibrations.

Apertures around f9 will not give you that star effect if that is what you are looking for.

What filters did you buy? Why did you buy them?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back