First One for C&C Please

Griz806

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I'm going to be taking my first photography class toward a BA in Photography starting in February, so I'm trying to learn how to better critique my own photos. I've had some foundation art classes already and ... well, new gear inspires use and I'm not very thin skinned about my work. So, please, by all means rip this apart so I can compare my list of wrong doing to yours!

20111114-_DSC0013 by Griz806, on Flickr

Thanks in advance!

It's a great shot of the side of your cat's head/ear. That is what the whole focus is here. there is no negative space to make you feel that the cat may be looking at something off camera right, there is nothing to draw the eye from that big brown patch of sharply focus on the side of the cat's head/neck. The DOF is shallow enough that the cat's eye isn't in sharp focus so that also emphasizes the patch of sharply focused hair.
Exposure is great. Bokeh is very nice. There is some harsh shadow from the flash. Kinda looks like you put the camera in auto and let the flash pop up and shot.

Yes, as pathetic as that might seem. I was playing with a new lens and a cheap hot shoe flash. Sorry to disappoint, but first, no those are manual settings, all around including flash guide number and second, he took off just as I shot. He had been looking me in the eye. Thanks for the feedback, MLeek.

Oh, and while I'm at it, yes, I forgot to move the bounce head on the flash.

bear with me here... I just don't understand. You already knew there were some major issues here. Why do you post it for CC then?

As stated, I'm going to school, all be it online, for a BA in photography. I've been shooting snaps since they made Kodak Brownies. I want to go pro one day. You can't take good shots if you can't recognize and think about composition and exposure faults. Yes, it's no fun looking at your worst shots, but at this point I want to learn about what I see that is WRONG to develop my eye into something worthwhile. I learn from mistakes.

Also, please understand, I've been lurking on here a lot since I joined. It is a great community, I'm not one of those after Christmas specials.

Look up something called the Rule of Thirds (ROT). You're guilty of centering your subject here. While it is not always "wrong" to center the subject, the ROT will give your viewer a visual boost if somewhat adhered to.

Some examples.....

856064136_9M2wx-XL.jpg

856064049_Vpcis-XL.jpg

Just my 2¢.

Just a little add on.....
The blur is very distracting. The way it is now it looks like you have a cat that can blow bubbles....=) Hey, maybe your cat can! Try to keep a closer eye on your background.
Keep shooting!!!

Don't post pics for C&C if you really don't want it

Overall I like it..perhaps the DOF could have been a tad less shallow but it looks like your cat's head is in great focus and the background is out of focus as you'd want.

Don't post pics for C&C if you really don't want it

Oh, but I do want the C&C! And I'm not offended, just trying to explain why I already knew that this picture would draw fire. And thank you all for your time and comments. I need to hear other people's C&C so that I know I'm not missing on the why and wherefore of this being a bad shot. I know that sounds crazy, but I have been having a problem when I try and critique my own shots, or others even. I miss some of the details and it is necessary that I get better at it, so I thought that I would compare what I saw in one of my bad shots to what opinions I get here. Not something I'll do on a regular basis, but I need to measure improvement in my eye for catching mistakes.

Just a little add on.....
The blur is very distracting. The way it is now it looks like you have a cat that can blow bubbles....=) Hey, maybe your cat can! Try to keep a closer eye on your background.
Keep shooting!!!
My Lord! You're right:lol: I best have him checked for rabies!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back