480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I ordered a B&W1000x / 3.0 / 10-stop ND filter last week, and it showed up Saturday. This afternoon was the first chance I got to get out and give it a try.

First off, a baseline test shot at 1/1000 sec (ISO 400 f/2.8, Nikon D600, Nikkor 17-35/2.8 AF-D) .

ND1000xNoFilterPost.jpg

I then installed the filter and tried to let the on-camera filter take a light reading. It only changed 5 stops, so I kept going until I had counted off 10 full stops (1 second).

ND1000xWithFilter10xPost.jpg

Still seemed a bit dark, especially after viewing the histograms. So I changed the shutter speed to 2 seconds, or a full 11 stops.

ND1000xWithFilter11xPost.jpg

Both filtered shots show a striking lack of color vibrancy, but I knew there would be some issues to overcome.

Here's a 100% crop of both SOOC and 11x side-by-side:

SBSCompar.jpg

These are just my 'preliminary' findings, and I was just shooting JPEGs to see what direction(s) I need to take. I'm sure with raw files, I'll be able to correct most, if not all, the lack of saturation and contrast.

OK, had some time this afternoon for some real testing. This time, things were a bit more controlled. And I tossed in my gray card for good measure. Taken at ISO 2000, 1/500. f/11, WB set to daylight (since I placed the WB card in the sunlight):

Nofilter.jpg

After installing the filter, and reducing the exposure 10-1/3 stops (that seems to give me a nearly identical histogram), I end up with this:

NoColorCorrection.jpg

The first thing I noticed is it's quite warm. So I used the gray card to set the WB:

Withfilter.jpg

After the color correction, not only do I have a more natural-looking image (compared to the no-filter shot), it looks like the colors are a bit more saturated!

I'll do some more testing, but with these results, I think I'm gonna like having this filter in my arsenal!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back