First time out doing posed Male Portraiture for their modeling portfolio

these are pretty sick... rim light looks good. What lens?

I used the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 on these. I took a few with the 50mm f/1.4 too, but none that I posted here.

Thanks!

I know you can't help this and I think the photos themselves are great, but I don't know if it's the shape of his mouth or what but he has this cartoon-like frown on his face. Nice lighting :thumbup:

Sorry Tyler; these are nice shots, but I just don't get 'edgy' from any of them. What I see are nice, sharp, well-exposed shots of a guy who seems like he doesn't want his picture taken (and has the same expression in every shot). Strictly MO of course, but to me, edgy really needs dramatic lighting to work well. Head down to the local Salvation Army or similar and get some clothing that you can trash, set him up in an abandoned building, or messy back-alley, and use a couple of direct speedlights to make some really harsh lighting.

These are really good!, but the #2 Poo-in-the-woods pose isn't quite what I would call edgy lol.

One thought might be to consider placing the artificial light source on the side on which the sunlight is coming in from...in shots 1 and 2, the natural sunlight is coming in from camera left, but the flash is coming camera right, so he has a nose shadow on the wrong side, which makes the viewer aware that the shots are "lighted" or "lit". It's a preference thing...some viewers might prefer the look of flash-lighted shots....others will prefer using the flash to more closely mimic the natural light that was present, by keeping the light all coming from the same basic direction. I do like shot #1, and my first thought was "good flash exposure".

Pose #2 makes him look absolutely horrible...his shoulders are all "peaked", and he look like a total whimp....contrast that shoulder line with the one in #3 and #4. I like shot #4 of him standing against the brick wall; that flat light could be tweaked pretty majorly in post, and the shot made to really sing. Thanks for showing us these shots. Since this is your very first time at this, you oughtta' be doing great with just a few more shoots under your belt!

I'm no pro, but that does not say edgy to me. Looks like a guy trying to be edgy and failing. Almost like he thought "look at the camera and frown. That ought to do it."
I would think that would hurt him with the agency.

the model has some serious problems with posing; the photographer has to notice that and get him to do better if possible. He's got to learn to know his angles and work to maximize his assets. The way he pulls in his shoulders makes him look smaller and definitely not sexy. His biggest problem is his facial expressions; he needs to relax his face and have expression without scrunching. It makes his forehead a mass of wrinkles and makes his right eye look much smaller than the other. The white shirt in front of the white door is not good. More flattering and better fitting clothes would help in the sexy, edgy department.

I really like the first one the best. Very sharp and I love how the light wraps around him.

I also liked 3 minus that black line. Even though its not as sharp as the first two I like the softness and I think I could see where you were going with this shot. It almost like high key....

Well he looks like he's trying too hard. Your technical implementation is admirable, however. One thought might be to have some sample photos prepped that you both can see beforehand to give the poses and looks more direction.

I think overall #1 is the winner. Like CP mentioned, the exposure, lighting and sharpness is most def something I would do. Your subject has that grittiness about him that applies in certain fields. I can see him on a sports theme shoot, or some sort of tough persona theme.

I personally like his expression. So on the last one where he's actually smiling threw me off because it didn't seem fit the theme(plus I don't think it fits him either). Good Job Tyler - glad to see your work finally.

Good work here Tyler mate, really like the first one. They have a really polished look to them.

Only thing I am not a fan of is the fact he seems to be trying too hard to look 'tough' in my opinion, but that is more a model based fault than a photographer based one.

The first one looks almost 3D! Very cool how his whole body pops right out.

You captured his sexiness well, IMHO.

Eh, the lighting isn't too shabby either ;)

Most reactions

Back