First time setting up a studio style portrait (outside of my house)

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was doing some portrait practice today. My wife was willing to help me this time. I was working with a speed light bounced into an umbrella on camera right and used a reflector camera left to take this one. Used LR4 to do most of the editing and PSE 11 to finish it up for some hairs that were in her face. C&C is welcomed to help me get better with any post processing or my set up.

$Mothers day test-060-Edit.jpg

doesn't look too bad and better than my first attempt. The left side of her face seem a little bright, (left cheek and forehead). Maybe reduce flash exposure a stop or two. Reflector looks like it worked well, haven't used mine yet. Hopefully soon.

doesn't look too bad and better than my first attempt. The left side of her face seem a little bright, (left cheek and forehead). Maybe reduce flash exposure a stop or two. Reflector looks like it worked well, haven't used mine yet. Hopefully soon.

Thanks for the comments. I was pushing the flash and this was as bright as I went. I was trying to see how much I could go without blowing it out. I don't think this is blown but I can see what you mean about them being hot. The reflector was really cool to actually see the light from the reflector moving up on her cheek and being able to put it where I wanted to.

Thanks for the comments. I was pushing the flash and this was as bright as I went. I was trying to see how much I could go without blowing it out. I don't think this is blown but I can see what you mean about them being hot. The reflector was really cool to actually see the light from the reflector moving up on her cheek and being able to put it where I wanted to.

yeah, I don't think it was blown out just a little bright. Maybe the dark back ground emphasizes it more for me. On one of the photos with less flash compensation (or this one) did you try to take the highlights down and increase the shadows a little (I'm just wondering, only 5mo experience with LR4 myself).

Last edited:
I would get rid of the halo. Looks good otherwise!

No, I did not increase the shadows.

Thanks Tiller, I was looking for that and noticed that I got some around the hair. (caused by darkening the background.)

There's still stuff going on around her head there.. its always super visible on my laptop at various angles when people mess with dark areas for some reason. The lighting looks pretty nice to me. :) But I know NOTHING about use of flash. lol

It looks much better. I'm just on my iPhone, but it looks like you did about as much as you could.

I was going to comment on the halo but you beat me to it - MUCH better! :thumbup: :D

SHE likes it, right?

I was going to comment on the halo but you beat me to it - MUCH better! :thumbup: :D

SHE likes it, right?

Thanks Granddad. She is so used to me taking pictures that she doesn't pay much attention, but she hasn't said that it was bad.
:lol: Then assume that it's great!

SHE likes it, right?

Thanks Granddad. She is so used to me taking pictures that she doesn't pay much attention, but she hasn't said that it was bad.

Just like mine. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back