Flash Meter - Is it worth it?

Price seems ,maybe, just a tiny bit high to me, considering how old the thing probably is. But then again, I am not up on the exact, current prices in your area, which is far away from where I live, and in another country's currency. YES, it is a good meter. At one time it was one of "the" meters pros relied upon, before Sekonic took its place in the field of popular flash and combination meters. Its accuracy ought to be extremely high as long as it has not been damaged.

Let me know how often you are going to use it. My guess is, not very much.

Let me know how often you are going to use it. My guess is, not very much.

I can't accurately do that. I do enjoy portrait/studio work. But my health will be the deciding factor... Unfortunately, even though I am hopeful that the episodes I've had and am having with my eyes will soon/eventually clear up... I can't count on it. Time will tell.

In case you are interested or unaware; here is a link that will better explain this comment... A Cancer Survivor's Story

Price seems ,maybe, just a tiny bit high to me, considering how old the thing probably is. But then again, I am not up on the exact, current prices in your area, which is far away from where I live, and in another country's currency. YES, it is a good meter. At one time it was one of "the" meters pros relied upon, before Sekonic took its place in the field of popular flash and combination meters. Its accuracy ought to be extremely high as long as it has not been damaged.

Thanks for your input Darrel. In the time I've spent here on TPF; I have come to respect the things you have to say.

In this day of digital photography, a meter is less important than it was with flim. However, it still benefits those who learn to use the tool. I have three flashes, and use the meter to figure out what power settings to use with each flash in a multi-flash situation with modifiers. In a static, studio situation the meter is very useful, but probably less so in a dynamic exterior scenario. So... it depends on your chosen subject, environment, and degree of control you have over the scene.

A flash meter is an excellent tool in the hands of somebody who understands the underlying principles of light metering AND exposure and lighting. Things like lighting ratios, the Zone System of exposure, and the "placement" of various metered objects at differing points within the Zones System's values, as well as the way incident light metering values and REFLECTED light values can be compared in order to achieve a perfectly white background...these are the kinds of things a top-level meter can help the photographer measure, set up, or adjust, without shooting a single exposure. A light meter, used in conjunction with rigorous note-keeping and testing sessions, will allow a careful worker to learn the nuances of his equipment quite well. However, to the casual worker whose technical skills are weak, or who simply doesn't even know what he does not know, the usefulness of a quality light meter is beyond comprehension. It's kind of like fair-weather pilots who are not instrument-qualified...sure, they can "fly"...as long as they have full visibility...

The price does seem a little high; I bought a Minolta Flash V last year, with all the accessories for $180. I would try and get it for closer to $125 if possible. Thta said, it is an excellent meter, and while you might not use it a lot, it's one of those tools where, when you need it, nothing else will do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back