Flash transmitter/receiver

Bossy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey ya'll. I'm in the market for some new goodies, and I'm thinking I should get a flash setup, but I'm not sure if paying 400 bucks at this point for 1 set of pocket wizards is really a good idea. I'm not shooting for anyone but myself for the most part. I'm also looking to upgrade my flash, right now I'm using an ancient one thats probably going to explode my dslr. But I don't know what to, I could get something like a SB 700/900 but I am not that familiar with hot show flashes outside knowing how to bounce them, so something like that might be a waste. Or might not. But thats what I need your help with, anyway.

Cliffnotes- Cheaper transmitter/receiver ok? And what flash?

If you can swing it, PWs are the way to go... I have a bag full of 'em and I have never had a failure to fire (except the time I had a dead battery in one and spent fifteen minutes "trouble-shooting" in the middle of a shoot, but that's a whole 'nother story). However, if that's not worth the cost consider the Cactus Trigger V5 - they're quite well reviewed.

Is TTL capabilities something thats a must?

Unless you are using the ttl function off camera flash, you can get manual flashes that are cheaper and work good. What are planning to shoot ? KEH has excellent condition 285hv's for around 50-60 bucks shipped. Or you can grab some sb24, 26, 28, or 80dx's ( 80 dx being the most expensive out of the bunch.) The sb's will work on the camera fine aside from you having to calculate the flash settings. All of these will work excellent off camera use.

Bossy said:
Is TTL capabilities something thats a must?

Not really. I would suggest a ttl compatible one for on camera use. Off camera, I would say manual. Much more predictable.

Well..like I said, hot shoe flash newb. I shoot people. Places. Things. Yeah that about covers it I think :D I've used Calumet receiver/transmitter before, and I can get a set for 75 bucks, but it says it doesn't work with ttl. But I'm not sure how that affects me.

Bossy said:
Well..like I said, hot shoe flash newb. I shoot people. Places. Things. Yeah that about covers it I think :D I've used Calumet receiver/transmitter before, and I can get a set for 75 bucks, but it says it doesn't work with ttl. But I'm not sure how that affects me.

Excuse me for being the newb. Only trying to help the not so newb asking for help. Good luck.

Bossy said:

Excuse me for being the newb. Only trying to help the not so newb asking for help. Good luck.
?

Bossy said:

Re read your post. I'm not one to get in online quarrels. If it was a typo, then so be it. If it wasn't, then it just seems a bit rude.

Bossy said:

Re read your post. I'm not one to get in online quarrels. If it was a typo, then so be it. If it wasn't, then it just seems a bit rude.
Gah I'm really sorry but I must be missing something. I appreciate your help, and I'm sorry if I offended somehow...

Bossy said:
Gah I'm really sorry but I must be missing something. I appreciate your help, and I'm sorry if I offended somehow...

No worries. The sb's might be easier to find accessories for since the 285hv's zoom head is as big as mine and they recycle quicker, have pc ports, and the option for a battery pack. I have the 285hv's. It's a work horse but if you are entertaining the idea of hot shoe use, I'd just get an older sb from amazon or KEH. I use KEH. All of my flashes I have gotten from them.

Well..like I said, hot shoe flash newb.
In response to your first post, I was still writing when you answered about TTL. You mentioned a lot of numbers (which I've sense googled and know as flashes!)
I shoot people. Places. Things. Yeah that about covers it I think :D
You asked what I shoot?

I've used Calumet receiver/transmitter before, and I can get a set for 75 bucks, but it says it doesn't work with ttl. But I'm not sure how that affects me.
I don't understand what TTL is, nor how it affects me/the camera. I've been googling but nothing is describing well so far.

Bossy said:
In response to your first post, I was still writing when you answered about TTL. You mentioned a lot of numbers (which I've sense googled and know as flashes!)
You asked what I shoot?

I don't understand what TTL is, nor how it affects me/the camera. I've been googling but nothing is describing well so far.

http://www.photozone.de/ttl-metering

I use manual flashes. You just have to manually calculate it rather than the camera communicating with it. My only gripe is no AF assist light when in low light. For the most part I find manual more consistent. Ttl comes in handy if you don't understand how to calculate the flash output or have time to do so.

Well..like I said, hot shoe flash newb.

The way you have your comma positioned, it looks like you were calling him a "hot shoe flash newb" instead of referring to yourself.

Confirming that you were not referring to him should clear up the confusion. :lol:

Bossy said:

Mach0.. if you are getting uptight about the "hot shoe flash newb".. Bossy was referring to herself.. not you! :) If it was something else, I missed it.. please be so kind as to let us know what is bugging you! Bossy is a PITA, but she is really OK! ;P

Most reactions

Back