What's new

Flashes

ksnyder

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Location
Illinois
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon T2i with an 18-55 (kit lens) and an 18-200 lens. I am looking at getting into people photography and mainly wanting to shoot outdoors. What should I look for and are there any recommendations when it comes to a flash?
 
I'd suggest the Canon 430EX or maybe the 580EX (if you can afford it).
 
Awesome thanks for the input BigMike
 
If you're going to do "people photography", I'd suggest investing in some better glass first. Neither your kit or super zoom are really suited for portraiture. I'd recommend looking into the Canon 50mm 1.4, or the Sigma 50 1.4. Yeah, I know, people are going to recommend the Canon 50 1.8 for $100. They'll tell you it's "awesome!", "best lens I've ever owned!", blah, blah, blah. Fact is, most of the people telling you this have never owned or used a truly good prime before (it's their first ever), and most of those people end up upgrading to a better 50mm down the road. It has more shortcomings than positives. For flash, I can't give a lot of advice as I'm currently expanding my knowledge in that area. What I will say is the 580ex can be used as a master in a multi flash set up, the 430ex can't, but can be used as slave units. That may matter to you down the road.
 
Last edited:
Point well taken Subscuck. I was planning on getting just what you said in the Canon 50 mm 1.4. It's a great, worthwhile investment. I was also looking at the 70-200 mm 2.8 L. Any thoughts on the Canon 85mm 1.2L instead of the 50mm 1.4?
 
Last edited:
Any thoughts on the Canon 85mm 1.2L instead of the 50mm 1.4?
It's what....4 or 5 times the price...I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'd recommend the 50mm F1.4 and the 85mm F1.8. Both are solid prime lenses for a pretty good price.
 
I think flash selection will be very dependent on your shooting style. Big Mike suggested the jist of the Canon selectioins. If your flash photography will only be used for fill with some ambient balancing, I think the 430EX will be suitable for you especially indoors. However if your shooting style will be incorporated with overpowering the outdoor ambient light(especially during the high sun), you're going to have to go with the 580EX or 580EXII.

In regards to doing off camera flash, depending on setup, it could actually be cheaper and probably more versatile. However you just have to know your lighting. With a single price of a 580 EXII, you can divert that expense and acquire 2 entry level Vivitar or Nikon flashes, 3 triggers(maybe radio popper jrs with TTL flexibility), a light stand and a flashstick (entry level monopod would work). All these can get you pretty far in your photography if you push the limits.

So it really depends on what your approach is. I can safely say I rarely use on board flash. I shoot maybe 80% natural light and maybe 20% off camera flash. So my equipment list is based on this. If you're still trying to figure out your style then dig out there a little bit more and see where you want to end up before you hit the register. All I can say is that to accomplish an Onboard setup vs OCF setup believe it or not will probably cost you the same. You just have to know where you're going.
 
Point well taken Subscuck. I was planning on getting just what you said in the Canon 50 mm 1.4. It's a great, worthwhile investment. I was also looking at the 70-200 mm 2.8 L. Any thoughts on the Canon 85mm 1.2L instead of the 50mm 1.4?

The 85 1.2 is really a studio lens. Unless money is no object, and you just know you'll need that aperture of 1.2 to get a shot, look at Canon's 85 1.8 It's a great lens and is often referred to as "L like". I own it and IQ is fantastic. If you're going to do a lot of outdoor type portraits, an 85 would certainly be a nice lens to have. For indoor, the 50mm will be better, it's not nearly as tight indoors, but still requires a lot room to work with. Sigma makes an 85mm 1.4, that's still a fairly new lens, fall of last year I believe. From the little I've read/heard about it, it seems like a nice piece of glass for around $800.
 
For a first flash, get a canon or anything else that does TTL. Something you can mount on your camera. and YES a 50 1.8 is a great lens for portrait. I use mine ALL the time. indoor, without great light combined with a on camera TTL flash you can bounce around. its a must. Id say get a 50mm 1.8 ASAP (or the 1.4 if you can afford it)

this was taken with a cheap 50mm 1.8. its not like i didnt had any other more expensive lens sitting in my bag lol
5753084463_36acc5e6c9_z.jpg


5643411005_947fdbf17f_z.jpg


the 50mm 1.8 capable of produicing REALLY sharp image. Its true that there is some better lens for portrait but for the price, everyone should have one in thier bags, car dashboard and even in your kitchen cookie jar!
 
but for the price, everyone should have one in thier bags, car dashboard and even in your kitchen cookie jar!

I agree. Unless you can afford something better.

Thats right. I rented a 85mm 1.4 to try it out the other day and they dont call it the Cream machine for no reason.
First picture i took with it, i jizzled.
 
Great information! Thanks for everyone's input so for!
 
Great information! Thanks for everyone's input so for!

You know that's top dollar information we just gave you...are you going to be paying with cash or credit?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom