Flashpioint 320M

Mike_E said:
The Mettles have a Bowens mount instead of whatever the flashpoints use. I'm happy with mine.

Do they support a battery pack ?

If they're not bi-voltage power switching they should work with most any pure sine wave inverter pack (assuming they require a PSW inverter) like the Alien Bees, Vagabond and Vagabond Mini Lithium, Innovatronix batteries, or home built batteries with PSWs. If for some reason they are bi-voltage strobes, then it's a possibility that they'll only work with batteries designed for bi-voltage strobes like the Innovatronix Tronix Explorer XT, Explorer Mini, and Explorer XT3. My guess is that a cheap strobe like that is not bi-voltage.

And by bi-voltage or power switching, it means they support multiple input voltages like 120 and 220 so that you can use them in different countries.

Village Idiot said:
If they're not bi-voltage power switching they should work with most any pure sine wave inverter pack (assuming they require a PSW inverter) like the Alien Bees, Vagabond and Vagabond Mini Lithium, Innovatronix batteries, or home built batteries with PSWs. If for some reason they are bi-voltage strobes, then it's a possibility that they'll only work with batteries designed for bi-voltage strobes like the Innovatronix Tronix Explorer XT, Explorer Mini, and Explorer XT3. My guess is that a cheap strobe like that is not bi-voltage.

And by bi-voltage or power switching, it means they support multiple input voltages like 120 and 220 so that you can use them in different countries.

Thanks. Had me a little curious.

Mike_E said:
The Mettles have a Bowens mount instead of whatever the flashpoints use. I'm happy with mine.

Do they support a battery pack ?

Mine do, I have a 600ws and a 300ws. I have a couple of 400ws that don't.

A quick check showed that the flaspoints have a proprietary mount so you 'd have to get your modifiers from Adorama or a separate adapter to have another style fit. Not a deal killer but just a fyi.

Man I love my tiny battery, I get over 600 pops per charge. next shoot I'll have 3 lights on it, if for any reason thats a bit much i might actually have to inconvenience myself and plug into a wall outlet. And if so I'll order a second battery! =)

Paul C. Buff - Vagabond Mini Lithium

I think the newer Mettles do have DC power supplies available. I think they offered that when Adorama just had Mettle drill a hole into the side and put a plug there. That's how they look. I don't think much changes on the inside.

If Adorama doesn't use the Bowens collar, then Mettle is a good alternative.

The newer M-series "II" Flashpoints use a small, 15-ounce DC battery pack, or 110 volt AC wall current. The current price is super-low on the 320M without a battery: $99.95 with Free SHipping!
Flashpoint II FP320M 150 Watt AC/DC Monolight Strobe FP320M

HERE is the Flashpoint II DC battery pack for the M-series lights. Flashpoint II D/C BatteryPowerPack f/M SeriesMonolights FP2PPN It is $124.95 with Free Shipping.

The battery pack is sold for a pretty good discount in packages, ($29 off, I believe it is) combined with a monolight and a battery, but I'm not gonna clutter this up with yet another link.

The Flashpoint lights use the old Photogenic Photomaster-compatible mount, so all your speed rings that fit that system should work. This is NOT the same mount used by Photogenic’s newer PowerLight and StudioMax monolights--it is the "old" Photomaster mount!

Be aware that a Chimera-brand speed ring say, for Speedotron Universal Mount, can have a 3/8 inch aluminum rod flattened out on one end, a hole drilled through that flat spot, and then the speedring screwed top the pre-drilled hole in the strong,tough PVC plastic Chimera makes its rings out of, and then the softbox's rods popped into the four holes, and the speedring and box held on using the umbrella shaft mounting system!!!! There is more than one way to skin a softbox...

lol gtfo! its my birthday sunday so you can send me a couple my way for the occassion. in the meantime while im on a budget, brellys or softboxes?

lol gtfo! its my birthday sunday so you can send me a couple my way for the occassion. in the meantime while im on a budget, brellys or softboxes?

Play rock paper scissors with yourself to determine. If the setup is going to be in one place and not moved around a lot, a softbox will be a nice option. Both diffuse the light. The larger the light source, the softer the light. The Softbox will be less efficient and if it has an internal diffuser, it'll diffuse it even more while sucking up some more power, but I'm guessing that you'll want to use wider apertures anyways.

Play rock paper scissors with yourself to determine. If the setup is going to be in one place and not moved around a lot, a softbox will be a nice option. Both diffuse the light. The larger the light source, the softer the light. The Softbox will be less efficient and if it has an internal diffuser, it'll diffuse it even more while sucking up some more power, but I'm guessing that you'll want to use wider apertures anyways.

ill just get the kit with the 2 monolights/brellas/snoot and case and buy a soft box to tinker with later on. rather buy a battery pack or two for now. itll get me started. thanks!

150ws is pretty weak. I really think you ought to reconsider. Any diffusion will spread that 150w/s discharge out over a larger area. Having at least one 300-600+w/s light for diffusion might be a good idea.

unpopular said:
150ws is pretty weak. I really think you ought to reconsider. Any diffusion will spread that 150w/s discharge out over a larger area. Having at least one 300-600+w/s light for diffusion might be a good idea.

What's it being used for? I use one indoors with a large Octa and it works pretty well. I do want a 300Ws as well though lol.

I'd say just get one 300 and one 150, or two 300's.

150 would prob work OK, but you don't want to limit yourself too much. It'd better to use a flash at half power so that you have some latitude.

unpopular said:
I'd say just get one 300 and one 150, or two 300's.

150 would prob work OK, but you don't want to limit yourself too much. It'd better to use a flash at half power so that you have some latitude.

I agree.

Most reactions

Back