Flashpoint Budget Studio | Feedback/Thoughts?

Excellent! Thanks again for the responses! I just picked up the Budget Studio 120 ws version and a new light stand for it. Can't wait to get it here and start experimenting! :)
Did you order any modifiers for it?

No. I have two diffused umbrellas and a DIY (styrofoam cooler) softbox and a 5 in 1 reflector that I plan on using for now. I had some pretty decent results with my flash and the diffused umbrella so I'm going to work to maximize my quality with those before investing much more. The only thing I'm REALLY wanting to pick up is a "big ol" softbox or octabox...but I'm not ready to spend $200-300 on one yet.

Excellent! Thanks again for the responses! I just picked up the Budget Studio 120 ws version and a new light stand for it. Can't wait to get it here and start experimenting! :)

No. I have two diffused umbrellas and a DIY (styrofoam cooler) softbox and a 5 in 1 reflector that I plan on using for now. I had some pretty decent results with my flash and the diffused umbrella so I'm going to work to maximize my quality with those before investing much more. The only thing I'm REALLY wanting to pick up is a "big ol" softbox or octabox...but I'm not ready to spend $200-300 on one yet.

Awesome! Sounds like you're pretty set then!!

If you want a large soft box, and don't want to spend the money you could try a white shower curtain secured to a boom stand. I've really liked the results I am able to get with this!

Boom stand $25-50
Double shower curtain $20

And you've got a 72x72 inch light source for under $75! You can't really feather the light or angle it like you would with a soft box, but you could always upgrade later. (Bonus if you have everything laying around already like I do. ;-) ) I can link you to some examples of when I've used it if you are interested!

If you want a large soft box, and don't want to spend the money you could try a white shower curtain secured to a boom stand. I've really liked the results I am able to get with this!

Boom stand $25-50

And you've got a 72x72 inch light source for under $75! You can't really feather the light or angle it like you would with a soft box, but you could always upgrade later. (Bonus if you have everything laying around already like I do. ;-) ) I can link you to some examples of when I've used it if you are interested!

I've seen you mention that before. I guess I assumed you had a permanent "shower curtain station" setup somewhere...I have a C-stand with a boom arm that I could attach a shower curtain to. Some examples and a shot of what type of shower curtain you are using would be awesome! Thanks! :)

Boom stand $25-50

I've seen you mention that before. I guess I assumed you had a permanent "shower curtain station" setup somewhere...I have a C-stand with a boom arm that I could attach a shower curtain to. Some examples and a shot of what type of shower curtain you are using would be awesome! Thanks! :)

I don't have a picture of the setup, and I have guests sleeping in my photo studio, so it's all packed away and I'm not sure when I will have. All setup again.

What I have been doing is extending the boom arm as long as it goes in a T position (so more like 65 inches wide for mine I suppose) and using background clips to clip on two old shower curtains I had laying around. Then just extend it as tall as I can, and place my strobe on another light stand directly behind it, high up and angled down. I actually find this much quicker and easier to setup than my giant soft box.

One shower curtain is just white vinyl, the other is more beige and fabric like. I always put the yellowish one behind the white one. I haven't had an issue with white balance that I am aware of, but I always edit that in post.

15962116779_0156ff5081_c_d.jpg

16148193045_3d40e14cf5_c_d.jpg

For the group shot, I used the shower curtain as my main light, and my large Softbox as fill.

15483158004_721365d770_c_d.jpg

For this portrait, I used the Curtain as a main light, but bounced the light off the wall and then through the curtain, with a white reflector as my fill source. This go around, I actually had it pinned to the ceiling, since I hadn't thought of the boom stand yet.
15471614302_bafa0e7bb4_z_d.jpg

Boom stand $25-50

I don't have a picture of the setup, and I have guests sleeping in my photo studio, so it's all packed away and I'm not sure when I will have. All setup again.

What I have been doing is extending the boom arm as long as it goes in a T position (so more like 65 inches wide for mine I suppose) and using background clips to clip on two old shower curtains I had laying around. Then just extend it as tall as I can, and place my strobe on another light stand directly behind it, high up and angled down. I actually find this much quicker and easier to setup than my giant soft box.

One shower curtain is just white vinyl, the other is more beige and fabric like. I always put the yellowish one behind the white one. I haven't had an issue with white balance that I am aware of, but I always edit that in post.

15962116779_0156ff5081_c_d.jpg

16148193045_3d40e14cf5_c_d.jpg

For the group shot, I used the shower curtain as my main light, and my large Softbox as fill.

15483158004_721365d770_c_d.jpg

For this portrait, I used the Curtain as a main light, but bounced the light off the wall and then through the curtain, with a white reflector as my fill source. This go around, I actually had it pinned to the ceiling, since I hadn't thought of the boom stand yet.
15471614302_bafa0e7bb4_z_d.jpg

Very cool. I might be making a run to the store for some shower curtains before long! :)

We always do Amazon! Then I don't have to drive anywhere. ;-)

The dollar store is a great idea though! Too bad our nearest one is an hour away. You'll have to tell me if they have them! I wouldn't mind replacing my white one since its cracking!

The dollar store is a great idea though! Too bad our nearest one is an hour away. You'll have to tell me if they have them! I wouldn't mind replacing my white one since its cracking!
You might consider ordering from IKEA.

You might consider ordering from IKEA.
Never! Never ever. I walked into that store once and felt trapped. That maze is a serious nightmare and a worse time warp than Wal-Mart! Just can't do it!

Never! Never ever. I walked into that store once and felt trapped. That maze is a serious nightmare and a worse time warp than Wal-Mart! Just can't do it!
Well, yes, there is that, but I think they may have a wider selection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back