1 strobe and one modifier under 300$ for the beginner.

angelusagendi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Finally I am going to purchase one light with a modifier this week. Thank you for all your suggestions.
So I want to buy one strobe light, strong enough to do a portrait beginner photoshoot at my home. And I prefer softbox over umbrella as light modifier.
You suggested some options (see below). I was wondering if you can simply suggest one strobe light and one modifier for the max 300$.
Also, will I able be able to use this strobe without a plug? Or all strobes have to be plugged and used indoors?

Fomito Godox DE300 300W Compact Studio Flash Light Strobe Lighting Lamp Head 110V 300ws: https://www.amazon.com/Fomito-Compa...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B017RBDEUM

Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit:
Flashpoint 320M

Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second:
Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second

Someone from friends suggested me this (but I am not sure if it is good).
CanadianStudio 2400 Watt Video Photography portrait lighting Studio:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005NMTI8K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I15T752KDAYHHV&colid=2NTVXY8WL9YDK

Please, let me know what option can you suggest for affordable strong strobe light with a softbox.

Thanks a million! :heartpump:

Natallia from Montreal.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't have the "wedding kit" but I do have 2 of the Flashpoint 320M's (also 2-1220m's). They are decent lights. I do have 4 flash point stands and they are air stands. So, they are fairly decent. I don't have their umbrellas so can't say to their quality.

The nice thing about the 320M's is they have connectors on the bottom that you can connect them to their battery power supplies. So, they are AC/DC monolights. I have 2 battery units and 2 spare batteries for them. They have replaceable flash tubes and modeling lights. For the price I think they are a pretty good deal. As for their longevity I have had mine for a over a year or two, but don't use them constantly like a studio would.

The last one is hotlights with CFL bulbs. They can be used. But the monolights would be a better option.

I don't have the "wedding kit" but I do have 2 of the Flashpoint 320M's (also 2-1220m's). They are decent lights. I do have 4 flash point stands and they are air stands. So, they are fairly decent. I don't have their umbrellas so can't say to their quality.

The nice thing about the 320M's is they have connectors on the bottom that you can connect them to their battery power supplies. So, they are AC/DC monolights. I have 2 battery units and 2 spare batteries for them. They have replaceable flash tubes and modeling lights. For the price I think they are a pretty good deal. As for their longevity I have had mine for a over a year or two, but don't use them constantly like a studio would.

The last one is hotlights with CFL bulbs. They can be used. But the monolights would be a better option.

Hi,
Thank you for your response. Do you mean you have exactly this one? Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second

Do you think if I buy this one it is enough for the start?

Thank you :)
N

Hi,
Thank you for your response. Do you mean you have exactly this one? Flashpoint II FP320SB2 Monolight Kit, 150 Watt Second

N
Yes, similar to that. I didn't mean to say the umbrella was bad. Just I don't have one to say if they are good or not. Now the flashpoints don't have as much power adjustment as some of the others. But just moving them can account for adjustment as well. For occasional use I think the are pretty good for the money. If you were starting a studio, I would probably buy better units. Or at least buy spare units. But for my use they have worked well.

I have 4 ebay Chinese lights as well. Lower power in the 110 w/s range. They have actually lasted over 10 years. That has suprised me. But again I don't beat on them. And don't use them with rapid firings either (never really heat up). But even though they have lasted me, their lower power is an issue. And I have really been careful with them. Since getting the Flashpoints I rarely use them. I would not really recommend them since these Flashpoints are now available.

Hi,

N
That wedding kit is a pretty good deal. If it were me, it would be nice to have umbrella and soft boxes. I have multiple sizes of each, and shapes (soft boxes). But that wedding kit would be a good start. 1 light is good. But 2 lights make things easier.

Hi,

N
That wedding kit is a pretty good deal. If it were me, it would be nice to have umbrella and soft boxes. I have multiple sizes of each, and shapes (soft boxes). But that wedding kit would be a good start. 1 light is good. But 2 lights make things easier.

Good day :)

What about this one? https://www.amazon.ca/NEEWER-DS300-...511368807&sr=8-3&keywords=strobe+studio+light

Hi,

N

What about this one? https://www.amazon.ca/NEEWER-DS300-...511368807&sr=8-3&keywords=strobe+studio+light
The reviews seem to be decent on it. One note it doesn't not appear to have a cooling fan. So, the more you use it, the more it will heat up. That's not good for electronics. If your going to do just light work. Not lots of use at once. Especially at higher power settings. It just might be ok. Says replaceable light tubes so thats a plus. Bowens mounts is a plus as well.

Hi,

N

The reviews seem to be decent on it. One note it doesn't not appear to have a cooling fan. So, the more you use it, the more it will heat up. That's not good for electronics. If your going to do just light work. Not lots of use at once. Especially at higher power settings. It just might be ok. Says replaceable light tubes so thats a plus. Bowens mounts is a plus as well.

Thank you :) When I read Q&A for this one, someone write this: "
Yes, there is. And so far it has been working great. However, you shouldn't run the modeling light for more than 10 minutes if there is a diffuser installed. " So it appears it has the fan...

One of the answers did say it had a fan. But another one said the light shuts down after 2 hours of use for cooling. As expected with lower priced units. Caution is needed during use. Don't leave the modeling light on constantly if you realy don't need it. And don't rapid fire too much at 1/2 or full power.

I am sure mine wont be the popular answer, but I will share my favorite budget light setup.

I invested in the flashpoint series a few years ago, they have been a great investment in my experience. I have a 320m and a 620m. To be honest, I usually use the 320 unless I am shooting a group.

I bought a large soft box when I purchased my lighting, which I almost never use. It is a pain to setup and this is an "easy setup" one. and it takes up so much space when fully erected. Its pulled out almost exclusively for when I am shooting groups and require 2 large light sources.

My favorite light is actually a shower curtain clipped to a boom stand set to a "T" position. I place a reflected umbrella, behind it and shoot through the shower curtain scrim. This gives me the effect of a 72 inch soft box, in less space, and way less time and hassle to set up. I can hang black fabric on either side of the curtain to create a strip light if I don't want such a huge light source, but still want super soft light.

With this setup, if you get the 320m, you are looking at about $150 for the light and stand with an umbrella (so bonus here, is you have a "soft box" AND an umbrella. Yay for options!) maybe $50 for a boom stand $10-20 for a shower curtain or two (depending on how diffused you want the light, and $10 or so for some clips to hang it on the boom arm. You don't need a heavy duty stand for the curtain, any cheep one will do.

The downside to this setup is that feathering the light is more difficult than just rotating a soft box.

I am happy to share some examples of the light you can achieve with this. If you are interested, let me know.

Cheers! and good luck with your decision.

I am sure mine wont be the popular answer, but I will share my favorite budget light setup.

I invested in the flashpoint series a few years ago, they have been a great investment in my experience. I have a 320m and a 620m. To be honest, I usually use the 320 unless I am shooting a group.

I bought a large soft box when I purchased my lighting, which I almost never use. It is a pain to setup and this is an "easy setup" one. and it takes up so much space when fully erected. Its pulled out almost exclusively for when I am shooting groups and require 2 large light sources.

My favorite light is actually a shower curtain clipped to a boom stand set to a "T" position. I place a reflected umbrella, behind it and shoot through the shower curtain scrim. This gives me the effect of a 72 inch soft box, in less space, and way less time and hassle to set up. I can hang black fabric on either side of the curtain to create a strip light if I don't want such a huge light source, but still want super soft light.

With this setup, if you get the 320m, you are looking at about $150 for the light and stand with an umbrella (so bonus here, is you have a "soft box" AND an umbrella. Yay for options!) maybe $50 for a boom stand $10-20 for a shower curtain or two (depending on how diffused you want the light, and $10 or so for some clips to hang it on the boom arm. You don't need a heavy duty stand for the curtain, any cheep one will do.

The downside to this setup is that feathering the light is more difficult than just rotating a soft box.

I am happy to share some examples of the light you can achieve with this. If you are interested, let me know.

Cheers! and good luck with your decision.

Nothing wrong with ingenuity!

Most reactions

Back