focus issues...help?

The Exif data that is embedded in the image.

We have exif viewers to see it.

ie. Opanda Exif, FxIF ...

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3000
Image Date: 2011-02-18 16:46:18 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 48.0mm (35mm equivalent: 72mm)
Aperture: f/16.0
Exposure Time: 0.077 s (1/13)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Cloudy
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined

Reading over the thread, I doubt anything is wrong with either the camera or the lens and the issue is the camera operator.

You need to read your camera users manual. Diopter adjustment is on page 23, the section that covers focusing is pages 41 - 49, and lens users manual .

The lens manual mentions VR must be turned off when using a tripod.

The photo posted was made a 1/13 and f/16.

The scene did not require that small an aperture.

I also wonder how good the tripod is and if the OP is aware of the many techniques for using a tripod effectively.
Was it windy? Was the center column raised? Was the shutter released by using the timer or by hand?

Edit: I was going to mention - It's my understanding the complete D3000 users manual is on the white disc that comes with the camera, and is not a paper copy. The paper copy that comes with the D3000 being just a quick guide, not the complete users manual.

Okay, really?

I was VERY disappointed to see that not a SINGLE person that replied to this thread looked at the exif info on this image to see the slow shutter speed until the bottom of the 2nd page... That is the FIRST thing we should be thinking whenever someone posts something about a blurry picture...

Holy crap!

I'm sorry, I just had to get that out.

Continue with your thread and ignore my post if you wish :) Thank you!

Yes, I took that into account (and the fact that the OP has used a tripod) ... which is why I gathered more information to see if it was just that or a true mechanical problem.

Like I said, it is very likely that it is indeed me but it's not just this one photo but most of mine.

please, post a picture shot at at least 1/200, to help understanding reasons. The one you put here can be easily justified by IS on + tripod and/or mirror slap.

Okay, really?

I was VERY disappointed to see that not a SINGLE person that replied to this thread looked at the exif info on this image to see the slow shutter speed until the bottom of the 2nd page... That is the FIRST thing we should be thinking whenever someone posts something about a blurry picture...

Holy crap!

The first thing I did was look at the EXIF data.

Once the OP said the camera was tripod mounted and VR was left on, the shutter speed became pretty much moot.

Oopsie!!! VR left ON and a tripod being used at the same time? That can set up an endless feedback loop, and it blurs the shots.

What settings are you shooting at? If you are shooting at a slow shutter speed, that could be your problem. Also, if you were on a tripod for the first shot, was the stabilization turned off on your lens? ( it should be when attached to a tripod ) Also, read your manual and learn how to lock the mirror ( or use live view ) This will eliminate the possibility that the slap of the mirror is causing the camera to vibrate. You were at 1/13th of a second so this is a possibility.

Also, as you get high on the F/stops there will be a point with which your lens starts to degrade due to defraction. Not sure about your specific lens, but I would wager that sharpness is probably starting to decline at f/16.

Reading over the thread, I doubt anything is wrong with either the camera or the lens and the issue is the camera operator.

You need to read your camera users manual. Diopter adjustment is on page 23, the section that covers focusing is pages 41 - 49, and lens users manual .

The lens manual mentions VR must be turned off when using a tripod.

The photo posted was made a 1/13 and f/16.

The scene did not require that small an aperture.

I also wonder how good the tripod is and if the OP is aware of the many techniques for using a tripod effectively.
Was it windy? Was the center column raised? Was the shutter released by using the timer or by hand?

Edit: I was going to mention - It's my understanding the complete D3000 users manual is on the white disc that comes with the camera, and is not a paper copy. The paper copy that comes with the D3000 being just a quick guide, not the complete users manual.

Okay, really?

Holy crap!

Are you a drama queen? "VERY disappointed" ? Cmon, ease up a bit. Its seriously laughable watching YOU tell KMH ( someone who has shown his photographic knowledge time and time again on this thread ) or anyone else for that matter, what he should and shouldn't do or say when giving advice. Actually shutter speed was mentioned in my post towards the top of the second page ( see quote above ). Just because someone doesn't mention it specifically, does not mean that they did not view the EXIF and take that into consideration before offering advice. Furthermore, so far, we have had one picture to go off of. If the OP wants extensive help, they need to do some testing and post more pics in different scenarios with different settings. If not, then there isn't much point to this thread.

Are you telling me that Nikon's VR system will actually induce "camera shake" when the camera is stationary ???
I thought the concept of VR is to compensate only when there is detected movement of the camera ... if the movement is not significant, the VR should do nothing ?

I grabbed this from Nikon's site in their explanation of VR:

"A tripod is generally believed to prevent image blur, but camera shake can occur due to the movements of the quick-return mirror or shutter curtain, or winds. This camera shake movement has different characteristics compared to normal camera shake caused by handheld shooting. Nikon's VR technology makes it possible to detect and compensate this type of camera shake, as well."

KmH what are your thoughts on the infinity focus issue?
Infinity focus - the sharpness of focus of the foreground will still be effected by depth-of-field.

There is no way to accurately indicate on a lens where to set it for infinity focus. The photographer has to determine that by trial and error. Infinity focus is rarely at the physical limit of focus, usually being attained somewhere just before the physical focus range is encountered.

Many new to photography discover there is a lot more to it, particularly technical issues, than they assumed.

I see from the exif data you shot this in manual, and I guess I don't understand why you chose 1/13 for a ss on a bright, sunny day with lots of white, reflective snow. Using "sunny 16" you should have been 1/100 for ss. Even not using it, 1/13 is very slow for these conditions. Try this, tripod, VR off, mirror lock on, and set camera to aperture priority and set the timer. Setting the timer at max will allow time for all vibrations induced by the mirror snapping up and you pressing the shutter button to subside. Using aperture priority will also give you an appropriate ss based on metering. At 1/13 even a mild breeze on a cheap tripod will induce blur. I would be very curious to see some of your other pics to see where ss is at, because this could be the only problem you're having.

Many new to photography discover there is a lot more to it, particularly technical issues, than they assumed.

Soooo true. I'll do some more experiments today. I had no idea VR could ever be bad. oO I'll post some more pictures later.

Actually, VR should be turned off most of the time, unless it's needed.

Also, VR is not intended to be used for what most people think, as explained in this article: Nikon VR explained

Most reactions

Back