Forest hdr C&C please

err_ok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys, I don't really post photos here much but I really should as the only way i'm going to improve is to get people to criticise my failures :)

I went to the New Forest at the weekend and thought I'd take some photos the sun in the trees... the weather went bad and i only got glimpses of sunlight so I bracketed a few photos and tried to HDR them.

I really can't figure out how to make photos in the forest/woods look good they always seem to come back quite dreary! Any help/tips would be appreciated :)

This one really doesn't have any point of interest.. it looks more like autumn than spring... looking at it again now i think the horizon is a little crooked :grumpy:

You're supposed to be drawn to the sunlit patch in the middle (off to the distance). It didn't really work out how i intended though.

Thanks

Both photos convey a mood...quietness, serenity. I like them both although both pics appear on my screen quite small. Your photos could benefit by being displayed larger.

Your efforts here are far better than mine and I'll say that I think woodland photography of this kind is actually a lot harder than many first thing to get right. I do think that the use of HDR here has helped your shots (the first looks a little cartoony/overdone whilst the second looks a little more natural).

The only thing I can suggest really is working on improving your compositional theory and shooting more shots - you're already pulling them apart yourself pretty well so its the (simply said, oft harder to learn) practice of getting that out at the time before you press the shutter.

I like the shots, but here's a tip on post-processing HDR. Correct the contrast and brightness before you hit the hue/saturation controls. If you do it the other way around, your colors will probably get over-saturated.

I like them a lot, hdr is done correctly, not overdone like many people tend to do. As for them looking dreary, it just seems as though the area you're shooting in is just that way. Of course you can always edit the photos, but having random branches hanging around, moss, and dropping objects is just asking for that type of mood for a photo.

Thanks guys your comments are appreciated.

Blackjack said:
Your photos could benefit by being displayed larger.
I'll keep that in mind for future posts, you can always click through to Flickr and view them as large as you like.

Overread said:
you're already pulling them apart yourself pretty well so its the (simply said, oft harder to learn) practice of getting that out at the time before you press the shutter.
I have a problem with creativity in hindsight and not much in the making.. It's something I'm working on!
SlickSalmon said:
I like the shots, but here's a tip on post-processing HDR. Correct the contrast and brightness before you hit the hue/saturation controls. If you do it the other way around, your colors will probably get over-saturated.
I'm going to have another whack at the PP of these (or maybe future attempts) i'll keep that in mind :thumbup:

in #2 the tree on the right is also in focus and has a spot of sunlight so it is distracting. If that part would be cut off you have no other option than to look into the middle

I think you needed another image over exposed by a stop and a half or two. That would bring out the shadow detail more. I like the first image. The second should have the foreground in better focus. It's too soft or out of focus, IMO. My feeling is any landscape with elements in the foreground requires those elements be in sharp focus. Again, just my opinion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back