Free Photo editing programs......

Eyetattoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im sure this has been covered many times but I cannot seem to find one that answers my question. I am looking to get a free photo editing program to see if it is something I will want to invest in, in the future. In the threads I came accross I found GIMP, Picasa, Capture NX/NX2 and Photoscape. I am wondering which I should go with or if there is another that I should use. Keep in mind I am a beginer when it comes to editing but am a quick study. I just dont want to waste a bunch of time on a program that is lacking. Thanks for the input!

I just stumbled across some info on this randomly. GIMPshop (GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella) is supposedly a branch off of GIMP that is more user friendly, and has a similar GUI to photoshop. It's useful in case you ever switch to photoshop (which is advisable as its an outstanding program). If you need to convert RAWs to jpeg or DNG for editing, you can use Bibble. Irfanview is free and makes a good image browser and cataloger as well, as well as being capable of minor tweaks.

Picasa is garbage (the online version anyways), and I couldn't take a minor color cast out of an image without completely destroying the quality and causing a ton of artifacting. Don't even try to adjust exposure either or you'll end up with a horribly ruined photo. Unless its been updated, this program should be left for myspace photos and the like.

Oh, and most programs will have some sort of learning curve. Programs similar to Lightroom will have less, as long as you know the basic vocabulary.

Picasa 3 - a nice piece of software, as long as you're a holiday shooter. But just try to make some fine adjustments... Simply not possible.

It also depends what you're looking for - a brower with editing features (like Picasa) or a more sophisticated application just for editing. You can't really tell if Gimp is good or not. Some people like it, others (like me) avoid it at all costs. I just hate the user interface. You might like it. Try.

download a trial of photoshop, when it runs out, just download it again (using the same email address... they allow you therefore it musn't be illegal and it doesnt have any restricitions to the full version except an annoying activition screen poping up at the start of each session.

Its best to use photoshop as it will be the program you are most likely to use in the future if you go into a career in photography, thus being the best to use,
IT is a steep learnign curve to start with, it took me a good few months to understand which toold do what, 3 years in, i still dont know the program even 60% of what the tools are for...
they can be used for a wide array of things, Look at bert monroy's fine art, they are photogenetic, yet they are really 2d images made in photoshop... impressive program, very powerful.

one reason i recommend Photoscape to my students is that it has video's that shows how to use each function.

You can also download for free a program by Serif called photoplus. they allow free use of older versions then if you like the program and want to up grade to a more recent edition that is possible.

I have found different softwares will work for different people. So I don't think i can tell you which one you must use.

There are many good ones, depends on your level of understanding and your actual need.

Download the trials and see how they work. I've used (in order) Gimp, Paint Shop Pro, Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Adobe Lightroom.

I'm loving Lightroom, but I still use Photoshop for more detailed work.

I make use of the plug-ins for speed.

skieur

download a trial of photoshop, when it runs out, just download it again (using the same email address... they allow you therefore it musn't be illegal and it doesnt have any restricitions to the full version except an annoying activition screen poping up at the start of each session.

Its best to use photoshop as it will be the program you are most likely to use in the future if you go into a career in photography, thus being the best to use,
IT is a steep learnign curve to start with, it took me a good few months to understand which toold do what, 3 years in, i still dont know the program even 60% of what the tools are for...
they can be used for a wide array of things, Look at bert monroy's fine art, they are photogenetic, yet they are really 2d images made in photoshop... impressive program, very powerful.
No career in photography for me, just a hobby. Not to say if someone offered to buy a picture I would gladly accept :D My job as a Financial Advisor creates lots of stress so this is just a way to unwind.....

...I am looking to get a free photo editing program... I came accross I found GIMP, Picasa, Capture NX/NX2 ...

Nikon's Capture NX, both the old v1 and the newer NX2, are not free software. They are commercial products that you must purchase. Any free download is either a time limited trial or an illegal bootleg.

Nikon's Capture NX is unstable, and I have it installed on three different machines, so it sure wouldn't appear to be a computer-based problem. Yes, I paid for it, full price. And I didn't download it, I bought the disc. I've come across very few who use Capture. It crashes probably one of three every attempted uses, so I've pretty much abandoned it.

Raw Shooter is still out there and free. I use it on occasion. The last version created, though, was in 2006, so you're really left with aging technology.

At the moment, I'm pretty happy with Paint Shop Pro Photo X2. You can get a free trial and see for yourself. It's one hell of a lot cheaper than a full load of any PS suite. For my purposes, PS has far too many unnecessary bells and whistles, most of which are geared towards graphic arts and not photography as such, although the distinction between the two is getting blurry. That, I suppose, is a discussion for another thread altogether.

While it may not be illegal, there is little doubt such a practice is neither moral nor ethical, and Adobe reminds you of that with, " an annoying activition (sic) screen poping (sic) up at the start of each session."

I just stumbled across some info on this randomly. GIMPshop (GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella) is supposedly a branch off of GIMP that is more user friendly, and has a similar GUI to photoshop. It's useful in case you ever switch to photoshop (which is advisable as its an outstanding program). If you need to convert RAWs to jpeg or DNG for editing, you can use Bibble. Irfanview is free and makes a good image browser and cataloger as well, as well as being capable of minor tweaks.

Picasa is garbage (the online version anyways), and I couldn't take a minor color cast out of an image without completely destroying the quality and causing a ton of artifacting. Don't even try to adjust exposure either or you'll end up with a horribly ruined photo. Unless its been updated, this program should be left for myspace photos and the like.[\QUOTE]

Hey thanks alot....been using GIMP for a while now. Downloaded Gimpshop...cool! With all the plug-in's available, It'll be everything I need.
I'm not a Pro, have no desire to be (but wish I could shoot like one) so I just can't justify buying a full version of PS..I can tell you, while playing with it, that it seems more stable than GIMP, also. So GIMP users, might want to check this one out. I'm having to adjust to the new interface, but I'm liking it so far...

J.:mrgreen:

Picasa is garbage (the online version anyways), and I couldn't take a minor color cast out of an image without completely destroying the quality and causing a ton of artifacting. Don't even try to adjust exposure either or you'll end up with a horribly ruined photo. Unless its been updated, this program should be left for myspace photos and the like.[\QUOTE]

Hey thanks alot....been using GIMP for a while now. Downloaded Gimpshop...cool! With all the plug-in's available, It'll be everything I need.
I'm not a Pro, have no desire to be (but wish I could shoot like one) so I just can't justify buying a full version of PS..I can tell you, while playing with it, that it seems more stable than GIMP, also. So GIMP users, might want to check this one out. I'm having to adjust to the new interface, but I'm liking it so far...

Thanks, Ill try out GIMPshop.....any suggested plugins before I download it?

Thanks, Ill try out GIMPshop.....any suggested plugins before I download it?

Just google "gimp plug-ins". There's a bunch. If you are going to be opening RAW files, theres a plug called URAW (I think)...just have to check it out to see what you need. I shoot film almost exclusively, so a lot of the plug-ins digital people require, I really don't need.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back