Fuji XT-1

The M9 needs tweeked? No way, my buddy has one and he does very very well with the images out of the camera. I can't speak on behalf of the fuji but I really hope I will be able to speak on a xe-2 or the xt-1 with a 35 f1.4

16mp is nice, 24 is nicer but in all honesty 16 is fine.

you know why people buy these? Even though they lower mp, short battery life, blah blah blah. Not exactly award winners im guessing? These don't appear to be latest and greatest tech. But they buy them because they are COOL. Because they are metal, retro, have dedicated dials and are COOL. wELL, and REAL wifi, Wifi sure don't hurt.
Not to impressed with the stats but wth do I know I never even shot one.
im just looking at the pics and I think they are cool. LOL Might be worth owning just for the coolness factor.

Im interested because I dont have a camera for daily shooting. I mean I have 2 D3's. Too big to bring to weddings and just grab n go.

Yes I like the cool look, the dials and that not many people have em. However, a Leica M9 is in a completely different category. No one buys a 8k rangefinder to look cool. On top of that add a 3k lens which has no AF.

You can save alot of money and buy an app(its on Leica Rumors) that simulates a rangefinder on a iphone.

Im interested because I dont have a camera for daily shooting. I mean I have 2 D3's. Too big to bring to weddings and just grab n go.

Yes I like the cool look, the dials and that not many people have em. However, a Leica M9 is in a completely different category. No one buys a 8k rangefinder to look cool. On top of that add a 3k lens which has no AF.

You can save alot of money and buy an app(its on Leica Rumors) that simulates a rangefinder on a iphone.
actually surprised you wouldn't want something more video oriented as well. seems a lot of people are hiring the same person for video and photo on weddings around here.

The video is fine to watch my daughter ride a bike or go down a slide.
I don't do much with video.

$P1120493.JPG

My rented X-T1 with the 18-55mm f2.8-4.0 lens are in the house (courtesy of LensRentals and Borrowlenses).

First, the unimportant stuff - this is a darned pretty camera. I might buy one just to look at it.

Quick impressions:

What I like about this camera already:

- I love the separate dials for ISO and shutter speed and the proper aperture ring on the lens. I figured it out in 5 seconds. There may be menus, but I'm not going to look for them.

- Autofocus is very fast indoors in low light.

- I like the metal body and solid feel - and the size (about the same as my GH2). Maybe a little small for some people, but not for me.

(Just picked up the GH2 after handling the X-T1 all evening, and it feels a little toy-like by comparison.)

What I dislike about this camera already:

I hate the fact that the LCD is exposed 100% of the time - there are nose prints all over it already. And I have a big nose.

I hate that it doesn't have a built-in flash (I know, a lot of serious cameras don't have built-in flash). I will test the external flash later.

Partial answer to the EVF question:

The EVF is better than the GH2's in low light (of course, that isn't saying much). I can't directly compare it to my GH3, because it is in the shop, but it's probably a little better than the GH3's EVF.

The only DSLR I have left is an old Nikon D50, which has an OVF that is like looking through a soda straw - so the comparison wouldn't be fair to OVFs - but, in my view, people coming from modern optical viewfinders will notice a little graininess in low light.

I have grown accustomed to all the info I get from EVFs, so, for me, a little grain is a small price to pay - YMMV.

Much more later. I'll probably do a post over on my blog with pros and cons for stills and video.

Did I mention that this is a really good looking camera?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice, I bought an XE-2, Im not happy for several reasons. First I bought a 35 f1.4 but the store didnt have it in stock so all I got yesterday was just the body. Now what do I do. You can't really find these lenses in stores. So what I had to do was buy a Nikon adapter and Im using the xe-2 with an adapter and a 50 f1.8 D. Its a cool look but Ill be honest, Im blind and I can't manually focus too well. So right now, some pics are nice n sharp and others are not. Try telling a almost 4 yr old and a 10 month old to sit still.

Im also upset that I can't shoot raw without it being a cumbersome work flow. I use Aperture for file mgt. So now I have to convert the files to .dng, then the .dng to jpg and import to Aperture. Seriously all this work for a toy camera, Im not happy!

Im also wondering are we jumping into Fuji too soon. They talk about a possible fx mirrorless camera in the future. If we go out and buy these lenses, will they work on a fx fuji mirrorless camera?

whats available for telephoto for one of them?
And that's only 16 mp right? How do you guys feel about going from 20+ mp back to 16?
I just started reading on it, and it seems like a nice camera other than the mp im kind of wondering about? Other thing is the colors. I just caught on that the colors aren't quite as good as the Nikon dslrs so it might not be so great in that way?

But its made of metal and real quality? That peeks my interest. if it doubles for a hammer it must be good.

Here's Fuji's roadmap for XF lenses: X Mount Lens Roadmap | Fujifilm Global One nice thing about dropping the reflex mirror is that the sensor/flange distance is reduced and it's easy to use an adapter and mount nearly any lens you want to the camera. You of course lose the AF linkage so it's manual focus only. I picked up an adapter for $30.00 and mounted my 60mm Rodagon enlarging lens on the camera to use as a macro.

It's 16 megapixels but it's a Fuji X-Trans sensor. I swapped a 5DmkII for an X-E2 and so that was a 21 megapixel down to 16 megapixel trade. Given the superior performance of the X-Trans sensor (no AA filter to degrade the image) basically I find the IQ is a wash. Given Fuji's superior optics I may have actually come out ahead by a smidge.

As for color not being as good as Nikon: where'd you hear that? That's rubbish.

Joe
"Like the M9, the X-Pro1's files will usually need some computer tweaking for stunning results for nature and landscape shots. Oddly, both the LEICA and FUJI usually wind up with weird-looking shadows when you start jacking up the contrast and colors, while Nikon and Canon DSLRs deliver superior nature and landscape shots. Nikon and Canon's nature and landscape shots offer wild colors that still look natural, while pushing the Fujis and LEICAs start to look artificial"

Fuji X-Pro1 Review
I see; you heard rubbish from a well know source of rubbish -- a Ken Rockwell review. :biglaugh:Thanks for verifying my comment.

curious to know how the lower mp compares in tests too. love the looks of this camera. Compared to 24 mp and no bp filter, guess I have mp and cropping doubts..

Here's a full-res uncropped* sample from the X-E2 for you to examine. Any problems with color? Note the detail in the tree branches upper right corner. I'll take 16 megapixels and that kind of lens performance any day.

route_66.jpg

* I did correct for slight keystoning which then cropped a smidge.

Joe

Review posted - forgot to put in my whining about the noseprints on the LCD and lack of built-in flash - but I found other stuff to whine about - oh, yeah, there's some fawning over the "retro cool factor" too :)

Hybrid Camera Revolution: Fuji X-T1 - A Second Look

A nice review! I read it and looked at the sample images. One thing that I noticed. You said that the Fuji has very accurate color. That is not my personal experience with Fuji cameras, but rather that the FUji color palette tends more toward "pleasing color", but not that accurate, especially on greens and yellows. But, looking at your sample pictures comparing the Fuji versus the Panasonic, I noticed three SHOCKING differences. First, the mallard drake's wing patch: it is BLUE on the Fuji, and PURPLE on the Panasonic. I mention this because in the past, purple and lavender hues have been a very challenging area for many digital cameras.

Second and third, the red car, and the black car. The color difference on the red and the black (??was it black-black??) cars. Very different color rendering. Red is a pretty important color to get at least somewhat right. Does it tend to blow out the red channel easily?

So, I wonder: Can the Fuji XT-1 render purples and lavender colors well? I'd love to see some crocus or lavender or other purple flowers.

Another color I'd love to see: GREENS. Fuji has long rendered greens in a VERY different way than Nikon, Canon, or Kodak! Green ocean water + FUji has been a weird issue since the 1980's for me. I have bought three Fuji d-slr cameras over the past 15 years, so I'm wondering about these specific colors based on the way Fuji's greens have been wayyyyy "off" from reality since, for me, about 1985...

Of course, at this time of the year, there is not much green grass to be seen in many places. Nor tree leaves.

A nice review! I read it and looked at the sample images. One thing that I noticed. You said that the Fuji has very accurate color. That is not my personal experience with Fuji cameras, but rather that the FUji color palette tends more toward "pleasing color", but not that accurate, especially on greens and yellows. But, looking at your sample pictures comparing the Fuji versus the Panasonic, I noticed three SHOCKING differences. First, the mallard drake's wing patch: it is BLUE on the Fuji, and PURPLE on the Panasonic. I mention this because in the past, purple and lavender hues have been a very challenging area for many digital cameras.

Thank you.

You have really good eyes. I didn't see the difference between the duck wings until you called it to my attention. Now I can't remember what color the wing patch really was. That's the problem with getting old :(

Second and third, the red car, and the black car. The color difference on the red and the black (??was it black-black??) cars. Very different color rendering. Red is a pretty important color to get at least somewhat right. Does it tend to blow out the red channel easily?

So, I wonder: Can the Fuji XT-1 render purples and lavender colors well? I'd love to see some crocus or lavender or other purple flowers.

Another color I'd love to see: GREENS. Fuji has long rendered greens in a VERY different way than Nikon, Canon, or Kodak! Green ocean water + FUji has been a weird issue since the 1980's for me. I have bought three Fuji d-slr cameras over the past 15 years, so I'm wondering about these specific colors based on the way Fuji's greens have been wayyyyy "off" from reality since, for me, about 1985...

Of course, at this time of the year, there is not much green grass to be seen in many places. Nor tree leaves.

The BMW was black black and the Mini was red red. Sadly, I've sent it back, so I won't have a chance to match lavenders or purples or greens (although there are some plants in the b.g. of the car shots).

As I said in the review, I have tweaked my GH2 for a little over 3 years to get the color where I want it - and the Fuji came darned close right out of the box. As a JPEG shooter, I tune my cameras up to where I like 'em, and then never touch the WB again. The X-T1 wouldn't need much help.

Best Regards,

Bill

Almost had a heart attack... I thought my EVF wasn't focusing because it's broken. But then I remembered the diopter...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back