FX-vs-DX Sales

Suit yourself.

Personally I would prefer a D700 over a D7200.

- Much better lens selection; I know technically you can use any full frame on a half frame but the change in equivalent focal length hurts especially wide angle and isnt great in other fields either.

- Better high ISO ... frankly I want a Nikon D5 or Sony A7s for their high ISO.

- Larger, brighter viewfinder.

- More expensive but also better cameras.

I'm happy that the D750 exists though. Tilting screen and dual card slots of same type, I dont want a camera without that.

But a D500 owner is a different market than a d3300 owner.
Those owners don't mind spending MORE money for lenses, and those lenses exist now just with larger glass elements that can also support FullFrame sensors.

That's the thing. The article lumped together all APS-C DSLR owners as ALL wanting better lenses, which is probably 80% or more inaccurate.

When I do indoor soccer a lot of the soccer moms have the lower Canon and Nikon cameras. they don't bring them indoors because they never get a good shot. A few have asked me about lenses and can't believe how much the current stuff costs. But WHY would they want to spend 6x the cost of their current camera on a lens ? It's a totally different market on the lower camera bodies than the upper camera bodies.

You can put most d3x00 and d5x00 as the Basic Market
then the d7x00 as the Prosumer market
and the d5x0 (Canon 7dm2) as the Advanced Market.

You can pretty well guess that if you build a lens for the Advanced Market that 98% of the owners of the Basic Market would never buy it for their camera. And vice versa, the new 18-55 VR whatever lens is pretty much for the Basic Market. Nikon already figured that out a long time ago. That's why the 18-105 VR was the kit lens for the d7x00 series.

I am not interested in the article in the slightest, but the graphs make perfect sense. Prosumers FF sales amount to 2%. I have been saying for years that 99% of amateurs and enthusiasts do not need a FF. So probably 1% buy it because they need it for a specific hobby and another 1% do it because they can. Others make a perfectly sensible choice.
The mistake that Nikon (and Canon) makes is that in spite of these numbers they are still hopelessly trying to push enthusiasts to FF by not offering good modern DX lenses. Surely more than 2% of APS-C owners would buy high quality modern AF glass. Add to that a bigger margin that glass has compared to bodies.

I am not interested in the article in the slightest, but the graphs make perfect sense. Prosumers FF sales amount to 2%. I have been saying for years that 99% of amateurs and enthusiasts do not need a FF. So probably 1% buy it because they need it for a specific hobby and another 1% do it because they can. Others make a perfectly sensible choice.
The mistake that Nikon (and Canon) makes is that in spite of these numbers they are still hopelessly trying to push enthusiasts to FF by not offering good modern DX lenses. Surely more than 2% of APS-C owners would buy high quality modern AF glass. Add to that a bigger margin that glass has compared to bodies.
But you have to do a market analysis of how many DX users would buy higher quality DX lenses.
That would help determine the market price for such lenses, which may be equal or more than FX lenses based on supply and demand and competition. And, as always, you can use an FX lens on a DX body but not vice-versa.

You can relate a market analysis to about any consumer product. There are low, mid and upper end things. Car, musical instruments, computers, coffee makers, refrigerators, etc. I'm sure you can create certain demographics of who buys high end gear of any product. Then determine if the market can absorb new products which also may eat away at higher end product sales which has to be taken into account too.

How many fewer 70-200/2.8 FX lenses will be sold if a 70-200/2.8 DX lens is available ?
I'm sure based on registrations / repairs Nikon/Canon has a pretty good idea on this based on their available products. Plus how many move up to FX for other benefits, thus may benefit from buying a FX lens to begin with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back