Gear for wildlife photography

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi!

Last week I placed my order for a Nikon 200-500.
Now, I'm used to shoot with my tamron 16-300, that is light easy and small.

I know that with getting a heavier lens, my arms will get some more muscles, but I'm also looking for a way to hang it somewhere on me without being in the way (and around my neck is not an option for this weight!).

I've seen some systems to slide it on your side, but I never really looked into it and I have no idea where to start and what brands ...

What is your system you use? Or any recommendations?
Also, what are other items I might need for wildlife photography with this kind of lens? Beanbag? Tripod?
If I get a tripod, It would be nice under €150 (like 165$?), maybe a used one. But the nice thing would be that it is compact and handy to carry around, I've seen some people that the tripod has a higher weight then themself (figure of speech ofc).
Thanks in advance !

Personally I hate tripods and the 200-500 isn't really that heavy to shoot handheld, you will get used to it. Read through this thread.. Tamron 150-600 G2 Annoyance. I have an answer there..

Personally I hate tripods and the 200-500 isn't really that heavy to shoot handheld, you will get used to it. Read through this thread.. Tamron 150-600 G2 Annoyance. I have an answer there..

I hate tripods too ! Happy to have that in common. Even looking at them makes me shiver.
I read your answer and that strap does look handy, I have something similar at the moment, but its more of a belt thing, my wife just hates it. I do have a backpack and I started wondering if I could attach it somehow on that? Maybe I could combine does 2 with some tape, glue, stitching or whatever...

I have a Sigma 150-600 that I use hand held a majority of the time, and I have tried a lot of straps and harnesses. What I use now is the Peak Design Slide - and it is the most comfortable strap I have ever used. I do a lot of hiking/walking with the camera at my side or on the back of my right hip and find the Slide very comfortable. What's even better (for me) is that Slide can be removed and replaced with a wrist strap in seconds. I take my camera and 150-600 in a kayak and an over shoulder strap gets in the way - but a wrist strap is perfect. Same story if I want to use a tripod - I remove the strap as soon as the camera is mounted on the tripod. Another great feature of the Peak Design gear is that I can switch the configuration of a couple of bodies to get exactly what I need for a particular situation. I own a Slide, the Leash and the Cuff. I tried the Clutch but didn't like it.

Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Straps

I have a Sigma 150-600 that I use hand held a majority of the time, and I have tried a lot of straps and harnesses. What I use now is the Peak Design Slide - and it is the most comfortable strap I have ever used. I do a lot of hiking/walking with the camera at my side or on the back of my right hip and find the Slide very comfortable. What's even better (for me) is that Slide can be removed and replaced with a wrist strap in seconds. I take my camera and 150-600 in a kayak and an over shoulder strap gets in the way - but a wrist strap is perfect. Same story if I want to use a tripod - I remove the strap as soon as the camera is mounted on the tripod. Another great feature of the Peak Design gear is that I can switch the configuration of a couple of bodies to get exactly what I need for a particular situation. I own a Slide, the Leash and the Cuff. I tried the Clutch but didn't like it.

I have been looking at this as well, but I was wondering with a lens that size, isn't it annoying hanging on your back so low ?

I have been looking at this as well, but I was wondering with a lens that size, isn't it annoying hanging on your back so low ?

The Slide is adjustable by simply pulling on a metal D-ring that shortens the strap. It lengthens automatically as you lift the camera to shoot. Hard for me to describe but to answer you question - no it is not annoying at all. It hangs at your right side or on the back of your right hip and by adjusting the D-ring you can make it very comfortable.

The equipment all depends on your definition of "wildlife." Bunnies, squirrels and bluejays take different equipment then what you might want for grizzly, cougars, elk, and eagles. Me I shoot the latter and would not be without a good tripod.

The equipment all depends on your definition of "wildlife." Bunnies, squirrels and bluejays take different equipment then what you might want for grizzly, cougars, elk, and eagles. Me I shoot the latter and would not be without a good tripod.

I do both! But still I would like to wait with Tripod until I really feel it to be needed for myself.

I use this lens, on this body (in manual mode), sitting on this tripod (because im lazy and birds move fast). Generally I'm up at shutter speeds that don't require a tripod but that lens is heavy so its a nice load off. The secret to great wildlife photography is this. You can see a few of my bird photos here.

The tripod listed above is in your price range and nice and easy to carry around. The lens is nice and heavy and just about as cheap as they get for Nikon. You have a body already so that does not matter, I recommend it all.

If you want something really big, heavy, but of the utmost quality, take a look at this setup...

Regards
Dave

Like others I do not use a tripod for wildlife ... rarely, I do use a monopod ... 90% of the time I am too mobile to carry additional equipment.
I only use a tripod when shooting landscape or macro.

You shouldn't need a tripod for wildlife. Just try to get your shutter speed at least as fast as your focal length. 1/500 should be easy in the daylight.

You will get used to hand holding,stay mobile and fast and be ready to swing the lens in any direction when birds seem to come from no where. I have a tripod but only comes out for low light landscape shots other wise it sits in the trunk of my car.

Thanks all for your input!
I have decided to wait with the tripod until I really feel its needed for me.
@Dave Colangelo , If I do decide to get a tripod, I will remember yours!
So far I created my own clip-on system on the belt of my backback and the camera hangs on my right side. It feels handy, but I'm not 100% convinced.
Also noticed my camera backpack is to small for the Nikon 200-500, so I'm searching for a new one atm :)

It's true that shooting wildlife from a tripod is damned near impossible (unless it's a sleeping critter). But once your glass arrives, practice shooting with it at 500mm. What you'll discover is that just the mere act of breathing lightly in and out will create tremendous blur of small objects like birds on a branch (let alone those in flight). All of those superb photos you see of birds where the feathers are sharply defined and in-focus...you achieve those from a very stable lens. You need to look for ways to stabilize your lens when you shoot. Things like...resting it on a car, a fence, a tree branch, putting it on a bean bag, setting it on a stone and then triggering the shutter wirelessly...those are all options.

As for how to carry it, there are plenty of sling options (I have a black rapid) out there. For backpacks (especially with big or long lens), I suggest you get a regular backpack and then put an insert in to it. You can usually configure the insert to fit your needs. And for serious wildlife photography, you're going to want to have your camera equipment in that backpack plus...lunch...a wind breaker or poncho for when it starts to rain...maybe some toilet paper and some wipes...a water bottle or two. So using a regular day pack with an insert is what I use when my holster or messenger bag aren't big enough.

It would be nice when people give advise about wildlife if the defined what they are calling wildlife. Birdies and squirrels can be hand shot as the lenses needed often aren't that heavy. It can often be done in parks, recreation areas etc that are close to home. Griz, browns, cougars, elk, moose, etc. on the other hand generally call for heavier longer reaching glass in places that are a bit more remote. Your going to be there a while (all day) and you are not going to hold and be able to hand shoot with 11 or 12 pounds of camera gear.

A tripod is almost a must as you aren't going in taking a quick snap and leaving all in an hours time. You are on the trail long before sunup. By sunup you are usually setting up a small portable one person blind with a tripod, a small stool and hunkering down noiselessly.

Before then you have hung you lunch high in a tree at least 50 yards away from you so you don't become part of some wildlife's lunch should they happen to smell your P.B.&J. You want to carry in a small trenching shovel, bio-degradable toilet paper not Charmin, plenty of water as well as purifier tablets or system. If it goes in with you it comes out with you except for body waste which is buried. A .44 mag is desirable but a .357 mag on you hip will do. Proficiency is important here.

Wet Weather gear, as well as wearing/carrying appropriate seasonal gear. An emergency blanket all go along with you as does a couple of good knives, fire starter as well as waterproof matches and a small cooking container that can double as waterproof storage.

Your backpack needs to be custom fitted to you so it rides properly on you shoulders and more importantly on you hips. It should compartmentalized and be Molle compatible. so you can strap on your tripod and other gear onto it. My choice was an Eberlestock V69. It rides comfortably on me and is highly versatile.

There is no one size fits all for photography and even more so for "Wildlife" photography.

Most reactions

Back