Gels & bounce flash

dots

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm playing around with a flash, bouncing off the ceiling. The ceiling is 'white' and the camera flash balance is set +/- to flash WB. But I'm picking up color off of a green wall which is affecting skin tone. The light in the room is a feeble 60w so that doesn't need to be matched by the flash fitted with a gel. But supposing the roomlight was a lot more powerful..how would i use a gel(s) to match both the bulblight temperature and the color coming from the painted wall?

Is this a situation to bypass use of gels and opt instead for filtering on the lens?

Or would you 1) use a gel to make the all light sources uniform..then 2) use a filter to correct the color from the wall onto skin? or a reflector to do this?

Last edited:
how would i use a gel(s) to match both the bulblight temperature and the color coming from the painted wall?
You can't. You can only gel to completely correct for one, or the other, but not both.

Who knows what gel would compensate for the green wall? But it's easy to know what get compensates for a specific light type.

Last edited:
Go get a greycard and fix the colors in post.

Well, one solution would be to employ a MAGENTA gel filter, to counteract the green light....20 to 45 c.c.'s (color-correcting units) of magenta ought to knock the green right back down to "white"...

Mixed lighting situations can be a PITA...there are probably two different ways to get everything close (meaning more than one approach is possible).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back