Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My German I book finally came in today! (Good thing, since it starts Monday!)

The name of the book is "Auf geht's! beginning German language and culture"

I put 'Auf geht's' into babelfish and it didn't help me.

What's it mean? I haven't TAKEN the class yet, so I don't know! :p

Achtung Baby!

Good luck with the language as it's all Greek to me. :confused:

It's something like 'Here we go' (or, 'let's do this!').

good luck Corry!

pascal

Last edited:
Best I can think of is "Come on", "Get with it", "Get to it"

You'll find out that while there are phrases that can be virtually word for word translated (as long as you change the word order) others cannot, and there are other phrases where the words themselves mean virtually nothing but the the whole phrase together has the meaning - very much like some phrases in english.

For example if you translate "Auf geht's" directly into english you get "On goes it"

A really good resource that I use is Leo. Especially as it's free :)

Please avoid the translation services on the web, at least until you've got a basic understanding of german, at the moment they'll only confuse you.

If your finances can run to it I'd also recommend a good electronic english german dictionary, that uses either the PONS or the Langenscheidt dictionaries. However, avoid the cheap ones - they often only do word for word whereas you'll need good definitions to explain how the sentence context changes the meaning of the word. If you can't run to an electronic dictionary then a good old fashioned book version will do just as well - it's just a bit slower

HTH

Last edited:
it is a bit like "Westward ho!" (Auf geht's is not directional though, just gave this to give you a feeling for the meaning.) or "Let's hit the road!" or "Let's tackle it!" ... You can say it at the beginning of a hard and/or long journey or task. So in the morning in base camp when everyone is ready to go, you look up to the summit and say "Auf geht's!".

I should at this point clarify that I speak NO German, though I do understand the application of the word 'zwanzig' in a socially awkward situation...

OK then, what about "Let's go"

^^^^ Thats it.

And good luck, German is a very easy language to learn for a native English speaker. They are very similar, and German actually makes sense (words are really spelled the way you think they should be!)

and always remember... There is no 'I' in umlaut!

OK, I think we reached some convergence here :)

I personally would place it in between "Let's go!" and "Let's do it!"... just following my instinct for the German language ;)

OK, I think we reached some convergence here :)

I personally would place it in between "Let's go!" and "Let's do it!"... just following my instinct for the German language ;)

I think it amounts to the same thing. Can't really translate many things word for word, but the meaning is clear in either :)

And for our Southern US friends, it could be translated to "Git 'er done" :lmao:

Thanks guys!

And no, I never have placed any *real* faith in online free translators. ;) I just use them to try and get an idea of what something says on occasion.

And no, I never have placed any *real* faith in online free translators.

I always use them to understand what all you English speaking people type on this forum. Sometimes I am quite shocked. But your recent explanation of how to prepare banana shakers with iron screws in latent fuzzy moonlight was very interesting. I did not get all of it though .. to be honest :confused:

Most reactions

Back