Getting the most from my camera

He is just stringing us along. He keeps posting close ups of the "RIG" he is making.

Should rename this post "As TPF Turns".

Maybe we need to make a Troll of the year award. We will name it after him since he's been so well taken. :p

Wonder if this is some psychological study he's doing for school. And we are just his "test subjects".

Hi guys! Sorry about the wait, I finished the rig! I had to spend some time with the wiring to get it right, it's really tricky. Benhasajeep told me about diffusers, so I had to learn a lot about those. I couldn't find the Geri Fung Shay company he told me about on googel, but I called the camera store and they had a website.

I called the number and it was some wedding photographer guy, I think I got the wrong place. :( I'm guessing someone has to be pretty hobby at it if they specialize in weddings only LOL so I didn't listen too much to him, but I think he liked my idea about the iPhone because he talked a lot.

So I had to go out on my own to learn about diffusers for real and found out that they're BIG lights! This totally tied in with what I learned from you guys about how the iPhone doesn't do well in the dark, so I did a lot of work. I've got some experience with electronics, so I knew I could solve this problem. The guy on the phone said something about color temperature and I saw all the paper cones and stuff on the lights, so I went to the home improvement store and found a lightbulb that doesn't get too hot so it won't burn the paper. I got a socket and put it into the frame and ran some speaker wire through it for power. It looks kinda weird when I turn it on and I need a lot of 9 volt batteries, but I'm going to make a box or something to hold them. SORRY, I didn't get a pic of it with the big diffuser running yet, I will try to after the wedding for sure, I don't think I have enough time before, it's getting BUSY!

So I read this thread over and over again, and one thing you guys kept saying over and over was that the camera doesn't do well in the dark like I said, especially after my first demonstration photo, so I have FIXED THAT! I put a lot of lights on it that I can turn on and off to get the right shot. I have a spot light that makes faces SUPER bright! Here is a picture taken in a DARK room (I always hear people talking about those with cameras so I blocked a lot of windows) of my friend Brian. Notice that his face is perfectly illuminated!:
irig5.jpg

I also put in a pair of LED lamps for general lighting if the room isn't bright enough but I don't need the diffuser. It's the one I showed here:
irig1.jpg

That's the white light, and I also have one with all RED LEDs so I can get rid of red eye (not pictured).

Here is a picture of it in a not-dark room so you can see how much better the lights make it:
irig7.jpg

Someone said that the pictures were blurry, so I made it so the iPhone is in an anti-vibration cradle. Here is a normal lighting picture of another friend, Nathan. I can tell he thinks that this is a good idea too because he always has a smile when I show up to show him my progress. Check out the sharp edges! :
irig6.jpg

I also put in a range scope so I can frame the shots perfectly because I can't zoom, I will have it there too. Not shown here (the second picture is old) is that I followed gryphonslair99's advice and painted it black so it will look professional. I can't wait to show you guys!

I'm uploading the pictures of the rig right now, but it's taking a long time for some reason. I don't really know how to use my other camera too good, I think it is wasting a lot of space. That's one of the reasons I like the iPhone, the pictures are perfect size. I hope to have pictures of the rig up right away, thank you for your patience and all your help! You guys are awesome!

This is going to be the best wedding ever, and we'll have the pictures to proof it!

Last edited:
Sorry about the big size of the picture, I hope the website can fix it. I don't really use this camera too often because it's kinda bulky, so I don't know how to adjust it.

Here is a picture from the back so you can see the phone in camera mode and see the spotlight totally working:
_DSC3305.jpg

I have it bungied to the anti-vibraiton platform pretty strong so it won't fall off.

Here is a picture of the rig straight on:
_DSC3306.jpg

In the top left corner you can see the scopefinder I can use for long distance pictures. It helps me frame shots that need to be centered on things that are very small or far away.

On the top right is the diffuser I told you about. It looks kinda funny when it's on, but I didn't have the battery pack done yet so I have it off right now.

The bright light is the spot light that makes faces look super nice! I had it on and shining at the camera so you can really see it working. Below that on both sides are the general lights I use, the one on the left is white and the one on the right is red to eliminate red eye.

In the very middle is the camera platform. I used bungy straps / rubber bands to mount the platform so the iPhone is like it is on a SteadiCam. You can see the otp of it poking out the top with the lens in the top left corner just above the platform.

Finally, I put the logo of the website and the URL at the bottom so you guys get all the credit for your awesome help this last week! I'm going to tell everyone about all the cool tips you gave and you should have new members coming soon from the wedding party to thank you too if I play my cards right.

Sorry about the big size of the picture, I hope the website can fix it. I don't really use this camera too often because it's kinda bulky, so I don't know how to adjust it.

Here is a picture from the back so you can see the phone in camera mode and see the spotlight totally working:
_DSC3305.jpg

I have it bungied to the anti-vibraiton platform pretty strong so it won't fall off.

Here is a picture of the rig straight on:
_DSC3306.jpg

In the top left corner you can see the scopefinder I can use for long distance pictures. It helps me frame shots that need to be centered on things that are very small or far away.

On the top right is the diffuser I told you about. It looks kinda funny when it's on, but I didn't have the battery pack done yet so I have it off right now.

The bright light is the spot light that makes faces look super nice! I had it on and shining at the camera so you can really see it working. Below that on both sides are the general lights I use, the one on the left is white and the one on the right is red to eliminate red eye.

In the very middle is the camera platform. I used bungy straps / rubber bands to mount the platform so the iPhone is like it is on a SteadiCam. You can see the otp of it poking out the top with the lens in the top left corner just above the platform.

Finally, I put the logo of the website and the URL at the bottom so you guys get all the credit for your awesome help this last week! I'm going to tell everyone about all the cool tips you gave and you should have new members coming soon from the wedding party to thank you too if I play my cards right.

Oh man you are now my hero, oh god!
I still hope your not serious but your a hero eitherway :D P.s. His friend "Brian" is RThomas... look at the ring, hand and arm, same on his friend brian and on pic of him showing the holder...

You rule! You could go into production of selling these mounts for the iphone.. could be successful

Also love the sticker!! :)

omfg wow.

well, I needed a laugh. :lol:

Ohh....Ohhh......OHHHH Dude........Dude............You know what you should do. You should reverse engineer this real quick so you could hold you camera and look like you know what you are doing and then use the camera as a remote for the iPhone. That would be totally rad man!!!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Man I don't know who you are but this is absolutely hilarious. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The pictures from the phone still need alot of work. But, now that I have seen the finished product. I take my hate off, and salute you. :lol:

DEFINITELY weding ready!
those pics will certainly keep up with those of a pro wedding photog.
coffee filter diffuser FTW!!1!

does brian's beard naturally grow to the right?

keep posting. i can;t wait.

This guy is definitely taking the piss, he has a Nikon d90 :p
(thats what he used to take the pics of the iPhone.)
Troll failed
But the troll made and epic gadget therefore Troll wins, Keep feeding the troll!!!

if that's the case he should learn how to use it...those pics are garbage.
look at the noise!

hes on 6400 ISO thats why :p
he's trying to make it look like he's rubbish. No one with a "Friend" called brian with a beard like that can be taken seriously :p

lol good call.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back