Ginger on a hot july afternoon - C & C welcome

SecondShot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone.

I think i'm finally ready to provide some photos for C & C.

These were taken a few days ago when it felt like the hottest day in July. Found out later that day that with the humidity factored in, it felt like 105, which is always worse than the temperature itself!

Anyway, I often take my dog, Ginger on my little photo/nature walks down to a meadow, or down to the community pond, etc. It kind of serves a dual-purpose, i'll admit. It gives her a nice long walk, and I get a little exercise:lol:. Normally, I have to tell her four times over to stop, stay, sit, etc...while I try and take photos of dragonflies, bees, flowers, butterflies, and more often than not, she ruins the opportunity by rushing the pretty shiny objects:er: - life of a dog owner, right?

Anyway, she was getting beat up by the heat and humidity, and I could tell she could use a breather (hell, I could too), so we found a little shady spot near the pond, and I took these two photos. Both are SOOC.

Any C & C is appreciated.

1)
4803824850_f542cde1d1_b.jpg

2)
4803822676_3e7d75c3bc_b.jpg

i like how in the first pic you got to capture his saliva.

however, in both pics the tree in the background is kinda distracting, especially the first one..too close to subject

the lighting is off. perhaps some fill flash would help

C&C per req:

Both of these images have too little Ginger and too much other stuff. The black (what I assume to be a) tree in the background is contrasting so strongly with the blown sky that it's taking my eye right there and away from the subject.

You've got down on the dog's level which is good, and the focus seems spot on (at least on this monitor), but you've cropped off too much dog. I would suggest that in future, you first make sure that your background is free from things such as that tree, and then frame the image with the subject all in the frame, and crop to achieve your final, desired composition. As time goes on, you will much better be able to 'see' the final image before you shoot. Keep at it.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary

~John

I agree - I was contemplating cloning out the tree and the soil bed around it in PS, but wasn't sure how distracting the tree would be to other people. Thanks.

I like them especially the first one... ginger is quite a beautiful dog

Most reactions

New Topics

Back