What's new

Girl on the Boardwalk

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
115
Reaction score
17
Location
Coconut Creek, Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im trying to learn how to shoot portraits or just photos of people in general and my friend Sammie agreed to be my model for a test run.
These are a few shots from the shoot that I think came out the best. I am looking for some constructive criticism...what did I do wrong? what should I do to correct it? things like that.


1




2



3
 
Two things that you will hear often on this site. 1) needs fill light for the face. and 2) turn the camera to portrait for portraits.
 
You're going to need some fill. Do you have a speedlight? Your built-in flash CAN work, but it is not the best, given that it is always on the camera.

If you have good daylight, you might be able to use a reflector, but in open shade I'm not sure how well that would work.

Use your flash off camera, and softened.
 
Like her...plump beauty!

If it is a street style shot...real street photogs don't use flash...except Bruce Gilden.

If it is a set up, outdoor studio shot...yes, listen to the flash devotees.
 
OP, I click on flickr and looked at the set of these. They aren't too bad. As stated, You do need something to fill the light and some seem a little underexposed to me. Check the wb on them also.

Honestly the ones of them sitting an in the water are the best. I like the ones of the other young lady.
 
Good Guidelines
Don't pose people against a light background - eyes go to the bright area and away from the person.
Try to avoid dappled light.
Expose for the face​
 
OP, I click on flickr and looked at the set of these. They aren't too bad. As stated, You do need something to fill the light and some seem a little underexposed to me. Check the wb on them also.

Honestly the ones of them sitting an in the water are the best. I like the ones of the other young lady.
I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I wanted to post a lot of the photos but I figured posting a few would be easier to get people to give me some feedback. I had a feeling everyone would say stuff about the lighting. Unfortunately I don't have any other equipment besides my camera for now.

Also thanks everybody for the feedback. Lots of things I didn't realize I should be doing
 
Spend some time reading about posing.
Use an f stop 1 or 2 stops from maximum opening.
Watch out that the light is relatively even across the face and body.
Watch the background.
Expose for the skin
Get some eye contact with the subject.
Don't pump up the saturation (others on FLickr)

You'll be fine.
 
Much appreciated post. I must say Im a tad bit tired of people critiquing my lack of fancy equipment instead of my photo
Remember: gear need not be expensive. A 2' x 2' piece of white posterboard or foam core makes a great reflector, and those reflective heat-shields that they sell by the hundred at Wal-Mart to block your windshield in the summer work nicely as well.
 
I must say Im a tad bit tired of people critiquing my lack of fancy equipment instead of my photo

I think that was aimed at me. Have we met? Do I know how much equipment you have? Have I ever said anything before?

You might have noticed that I ASKED if you have a speedlight, and I also offered two OTHER suggestions, neither of which cost anything.

I'm a tad bit tired of people not reading my posts.
 
You know, I've had a running TPF theory for a while now that the VERY first post on any thread pretty much answers the question and the discussion can just stop dead right there... and yet those threads are the ones that turn into 6 pages. :lol:
 
Some people might disagree, but in this kind of backlighting, when you do not have either flash or a reflector to provide fill light, I say zoom the lens to its maximum focal length, and meter for the shadowed side of her (as The_Traveler said meter for the face) and just let the natural background get all bright and blown-out...it looks so much better to have the face and eyes in the right "key", rather than the background in the right "key" and the person all dark and dim.
 
I must say Im a tad bit tired of people critiquing my lack of fancy equipment instead of my photo

I think that was aimed at me. Have we met? Do I know how much equipment you have? Have I ever said anything before?

You might have noticed that I ASKED if you have a speedlight, and I also offered two OTHER suggestions, neither of which cost anything.

I'm a tad bit tired of people not reading my posts.

Not at all aimed at you. I was talking about some past posts ive made where the only feedback was "you need to buy this to be good" that's not at all what you said. I read your post and it was helpful
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom