What's new

Give it to me

mishele

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
13,661
Reaction score
4,898
Location
In your dreams!
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not going to say much about this one. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. C&C, please. :D
8711465978_bd0720ba32_z.jpg
 
Whoa. That's. That's something. A thousand questions crowd the mind, none of which I will ask.

I see two possible approaches here.

- heavy use of burning and dodging to enhance the illusion. If you've started down the path, go further.
- leave it exactly as-found.

By itself, it's a fantastic and fantastical artifact. That it is so fantastical takes away from its power as a photograph, and anyways as a photograph it's pretty basic, very centered and (for obvious reaons) flat. It's visually interesting because it is OF such a thing, not because of any inherent interest graphically. Uh, I hope that makes some sort of sense, because I need to stop flailing now.

As a supporting or supported element of a slightly bigger composition, I think it could a very strong image qua image. I would be tempted to simply toss a rose down into the frame and see what happens. Or some other three dimensional element that contrasts with or supports the idea. A glass bud vase. A letter. A ribbon. This runs the risk obviously of going very trite.

I don't know whether you saw it or made it or somewhere in between, and I don't really care, it's a wonderful thing.
 
Looks like a rose/flower. I think it could use some additional processing to help bring it out.
Nice find.
 
You unrepentant tease (thankfully!),you!!!

I have no idea what the photo is about, but I love the title of the thread.
 
Well if that's where you want it, far be it from us to deny you from that.

Now, it is an interesting picture, it give the illusion of altitude. I can't tell if it's rock or a stump.
 
Stone Roses, that's what springs to mind. It's a neat idea, well executed.
 
Ok, I have to ask. Did YOU put the stem there, or was it "found" as is? Either way, you've got an incredibly perceptive eye - I'd have just passed over it. Now a challenge - can you do your technique on that flower?

edit: Mish, with the titles you post... who needs pictures? ;)
 
I think it's cool, interesting and unusual but I don't feel the photograph carries the impact as much as if I had chanced upon it in nature. I might try painting it,hand coloring just for chits&giggles...oh is that taboo to combine digital art on a photograph, I'm not sure, don't care :D
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
I found this slate formation while I was walking along a riverbed. It took me by surprise because I saw the rose immediately! I did place the stem in the shot to enhance what I saw. I have to agree w/ the shot not quite translating over. It's a shame because it was such a cool thing to randomly come across. I'll play around w/ the sliders a little more and see if I can make the flower pop. =) As far as re-shooting goes and placing something in the shot...I can't. I took this shot last fall while in the Finger Lakes. lol

Thanks for all the comments!!
Paul...I can't do my secret move on this shot. lol
Trever...color might be fun.
amolitor...thanks for the fun write up!! I'm going to mess w/ it some more and pot a new edit. =)
Derrel...You're welcome.
 
Last edited:
As I look at it I think a few things

1) I've been playing world of tanks too much because I'm trying to spot areas to hide and snipe at people from - lower left corner looks nice and high to snipe down from!

2) I can see the rose! Though I do agree, play around with the sliders a little, just a little mind, to bring out the rose head. You want it out just enough that its standing out well to a stranger not used to "mish flower" pictures, but not enough that it dominates. The addition of the stem really does help a lot though!

3) I can see no reason that your magical method can't work on this, although it would probably make it very hard to see the image which would indeed defeat the point.
 
I almost hate to say it, but some selective color might work here. It would have to be subtle, partly desaturated, but worth trying IMO. Then darken some of the lighter areas outside the "flower."
 
As far as re-shooting goes and placing something in the shot...I can't. I took this shot last fall while in the Finger Lakes. lol

Kinda thought so, even though it's been so dry and breezy around here lately I wouldn't expect to see such a dry ground formation now. Good eye! Neat.
 
Maybe a diptych? Or a triptych. I'm pretty sure a clever girl like you could think up some natural sequence of three, starting with this, and going someplace else.
 
I like it. Maybe more contrast?
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom