Glossy Eyes

RebelChick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok , So its got to be the lens right? I have an XTi, and it doesnt matter when the eyes are focused (which is what i thought was the reason you got the glossy eyes). How to I achieve this? It really has to be the fact I have a crappy Kit lens right? or is it Me?

Ok , So its got to be the lens right? I have an XTi, and it doesnt matter when the eyes are focused (which is what i thought was the reason you got the glossy eyes). How to I achieve this? It really has to be the fact I have a crappy Kit lens right? or is it Me?

Maybe you want to explain or show us what "it"/"this" is...?

Maybe you want to explain or show us what "it"/"this" is...?

OK I guess ill be more thorough... How do I achieve the look of Glossy eyes in Photos? Is the reason my lens? When i take FULLY FOCUSED on the eyes type Photos, the eyes are not as glossy/glassy in appearance as i see some of the eyes in the photos here on TPF. So is the reason my lens? I have an XTI with kit lens.

What do you mean "glossy eyes"? Please post an example of what you mean.

NOT MINE.. but

This is an example of glossy:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/2278437062_49306e5418.jpg?v=0

as opposed to no glossy which is my photo:

lilly.jpg

Never thought i would have to explain myself so detailed man ...

That baby's eyes are simply unfocused. Which is normal: babies can see next to nothing when they've just been born. The eyes need at least 3 months of (fast) development before they are more or less capable to focus at subjects over 3/5 feet away.

Baby eyes often look unfocused – you call it 'glossy' – because they often are unfocused.

It's really easy. First off, the eyes need to be in perfect focus. In your image, the very tip of the nose is in focus, everything else is out of focus.

Once you have your picture, you're ready to move onto whatever software you use for post-production. Within that, you dodge the eyes, adjust contrast in some way, and sharpen the them.

That's it.

Yeah it's pretty much done in photoshop. There are probably some youtube tutorials you can look up.

So, if you want to shoot a baby with a 'glossy' look on its face: take your distance. Shoot short tele, and take care there is nothing in the baby's FoV within 5 feet that it can focus on. It will automatically 'de-focus'. A bit akin to what we all do when we're staring, lost in deep thought, seeing nothing, almost cross-eyed 'looking into the middle distance'.

Thank you to the HELPFUL people who actually understood my question :)

Never thought i would have to explain myself so detailed man ...

Simple really and it has nothing to do with your lens; there was probably a window near the example you posted, hence the large highlight in the eyes of the child.
Critical focusing is essential in portraits and the basic, golden rule is that the eyes MUST be in focus.
BTW, 'glossy' without an example is pretty meaningless-all eyes are glossy (shiny).

So the window is the reason. poor Lighting?

Most reactions

Back