Glossy Eyes

The effect that you are after is due to the lighting used to produce the soft, almost shadowless effect with even lighting. This is achieved by using large umbrellas or softboxes with studio flash units which is what you see reflected in the eyes.

The shot that you took appears to have been with a small direct flash (the pop-up flash on your camera?) resulting in the small highlight reflected in the eyes and the harsh shadows.

The effect that you are after is due to the lighting used to produce the soft, almost shadowless effect with even lighting. This is achieved by using large umbrellas or softboxes with studio flash units which is what you see reflected in the eyes.

The shot that you took appears to have been with a small direct flash (the pop-up flash on your camera?) resulting in the small highlight reflected in the eyes and the harsh shadows.
ahh yes this is the answer i was looking for. TY!

So would i be able to achieve this look with just lamps/ studio umbrellas, and NO flash?

So the window is the reason. poor Lighting?
Partly yes. Your first example was studio shot. The photographer is using an umbrella flash set up and, that is the glassy look you are getting. Also they are shooting dead on at an angle from the flash. In yours Im guessing you are using the onboard flash or, one mounted on the camera. If you can say use your oncamera flash at a lower power and, a remote flash bounced off a whit card or, object at an off angel from you right side as it was shot. It may take time to get the effect but you will. Or you can get them near a window ith a bright natural light source and, strictly use your cameas flash as a lower power fill flash. Aslo you can move yourself around till you see a strong light reflection before shooting.

TY again.. i love learning

Drug abuse can also get you some pretty glossy eyes...

I have always assumed that the eyes are sharpened and then may have catchlights/other bizarre things added to them in photoshop the skin then has a mild blur over it which accentuates the eyes more..
I think it can be and is over done in todays portraits especially children some are so unnatural the child is going to grow up looking back at these fake and sometimes freaky looking shots...
Personally if you can get the focus on the eye I think that is all that is necessary without OTT editing..
I know it's kind of the "in thing" right now so this is purely just my opinion. :)
I actually like many of the child photographers on this site because they don't tend to over do the kids and they still look natural.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back