going digital!

sh0rtofdaybr3ak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, im going to be purchasing a D70 in the very near future, for those on here that have a D70, what do you think are some upgrades I should look into after my purchase, ill be doing a lot of portrait work and also some night photography. So any suggestions on lenses or flashes would be great. I'll be new to the whole digital world so Im sure you will be seeing a lot of help threads from me in the future. Thanks for all of the help guys!

-TM

If you're doing night photos, get a remote. They're dirt cheap and work awesome with "bulb".

I also have an sb600 flash and it works great (sometimes a little too great...but I'm still learning how to use it best). Especially for TTL based fill-flash. I can have all the lights turned off in my room, stand 2 feet in front of the camera and still get decent exposure of both me and the background. You'll also need either this flash or the sb800 if you want to get into Nikon's CLS. These aren't so cheap.

Remember to multiply your focal length by 1.5 to get the equivalent focal length (a 50mm prime works like a 75mm prime). Other than that, any older AF lenses you have should work fine (even 30yr old manual lens work, though you won't be able to meter through the lens).

Its a whole other world. If you've been shooting film for a long time there are going to be parts that you absolutely hate, but the opposite is true too (you'll end up loving other things like instant review and only paying for developing on images you truly want). Keep an open mind and remember that even though it looks like camera, it doesn't always act like one (a handheld scanner is one analogy I've heard).

Rogue covered the subject pretty well...as a film shooter for the last 30 years, there is a bit of a learning curve...but well worth the instant gratification of digital...

I just added the SB-800 and all I can say is WOW!! At 320.00 it's a bit pricey, but the capabilities (including wireless) are truly amazing.

Most reactions

Back