Going to Europe

StreetShark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I plan on going to Europe next year with my school. I some what have an idea of what I need to bring regarding photography but I need a little help. I need to pack as light as possible as well. So far I plan on bringing my Canon Digital Rebel XT, 4 batteries, 4 2gb Memory cards, a Protective rain cover for my Camera and Lens, My Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8 and a Photo vest. I also plan on buying a new bag but I'm not sure what to get. I want something small and light that can take anything that wont fit in the vest. The only thing is that the Tour group provides a bookbag that all members of the trip have to wear all the time so no one gets lost so I don't exactly want a bookbag pack.

Thanks

The Lowepro Slingshot series are handy, especially when traveling with a group. They are quick access bags too where you don't even have to take the bag off to get your camera. Come with a built in all weather cover too. The Slingshot 200AW should hold all your gear.

http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Sling-bags,4.htm

That's what I have but i thought it would be hard to use while wearing a book bag

I don't know if a Slingshot would be a good choice as he's already planning on wearing a backpack.

Maybe more of a messenger type bag would be good. Something to wear near the hip.

I was just at Crumpler's site (which is a little crazy...) and they have a few that look like they'd suit your needs (specifically the 4, 5, or 6 Million Dollar Homes - just their names, don't worry).

What else do you think you'll be carrying?

I've been using a Slingshot 300 which is HUGE.

I'm looking for something smaller for "get togethers" in social setting instead of "family day out to park/zoo".

I am trying to decide between Domke F-5XB or F-803/802.

The 5XB looks like it will hold camera + 2 lens (barely). The 803/802 looks like it will hold maybe an extra lens. I am leaning towards Domke because they do not "look like camera bags" (website call them "messenger bags") - at least on internet pictures they do not. I also looked at Tamrac Velocity 4 (not sure if it's available in US?) and Velocity 5 - both to me look too much like camera bags.

The Domke are priced $62, $85, $110 - 5XB, 802, 803 in this order. The Tamracs are substantially less - $35 to $60 I think.

Decision decisions :(

In Europe you will probably be doing more photographing in (inner) cities than in rural regions. Realistically, in any (inner) city theft or robbery can be a problem for someone running round with extremely visible and recognizable expensive equipment. So you'd be wise to 1) cover up all big brand names on your strap(s) and bag(s) – e.g. with a big black felt marker – because otherwise those are just huge "nick-me" ads, 2) to carry your equipment in a used local supermarket bag instead of in an easily recognizable camera bag, 3) to never leave your gear anywhere unsupervised (like in hotel rooms), and 4) to check if your insurance is up to scratch.

However: equipment can easily be replaced. Your photos cannot! They are unique! So losing your photos would be a much greater disaster than theft/loss of your equipment.
For security/backup of your photos en-route consider uploading (all hotels have internet) your full card's contents to a PC and sending them via Podmailing.com (unlimited file sizes; FREE) to your own eMail address. So they'll be waiting for you when you get home even if your gear was stolen, lost, or impounded by shifty authorities.
Don't forget to bring your camera <&#8211;> PC connection cable!, and to erase your uploaded photos from that PC when you're finished sending them home.
You will need a broadband connection, but that's ubiquitous in Europe.
An additional benefit of uploading them is that you can then erase your card and use it again. And again. And again.

Have a nice trip!

You need to bear in mind that with current security paranoia don't assume you'll be able to take your camera bag into the cabin. Your luggage will not be treated gently and will get thrown around by baggage handlers therefore your camera bag-and I would recommend a hard case-needs to be sturdy enough to resist being dropped. A lightweight aluminium flightcase with a hard foam interior which you can pack inside your main luggage is your best bet, just in case, with a day pack for normal use when you reach your destination.
Your carry on bag must be able to fit under the seat in front of you-the airline you fly with will provide you with maximum bag dimensions.

You need to bear in mind that with current security paranoia don't assume you'll be able to take your camera bag into the cabin.

Flying many times a year from most major European airports, my experience is that I always managed to get my backpack (with my laptop, one camera body, 300mm tele, two larger zoom lenses, filters, batteries and so on) into the cabin. Just my tripod goes with my checked in luggage.

Just had trouble once at CDG airport in France where they did not know what a tele lens is so I almost missed my connecting flight.

You need to bear in mind that with current security paranoia don't assume you'll be able to take your camera bag into the cabin. Your luggage will not be treated gently and will get thrown around by baggage handlers therefore your camera bag-and I would recommend a hard case-needs to be sturdy enough to resist being dropped. A lightweight aluminium flightcase with a hard foam interior which you can pack inside your main luggage is your best bet, just in case, with a day pack for normal use when you reach your destination.
Your carry on bag must be able to fit under the seat in front of you-the airline you fly with will provide you with maximum bag dimensions.

Agreed. I recommend a Pelican case. There are some that claim to be carry-on size that are actually rather too big for some of the smaller planes. I also recommend buying some coloured cable ties. Put a coloured cable tie through the lock if your bag has to go in the hold. If you get it back and the tie is a different colour or is missing and there's no note in the bag that it has been opened and checked by security then you know somebody unauthorised has been in there.

The guy is carrying 2 lenses and a body I can't imagine justifying a Pelican case for this. I know they are excellent and have their place when carrying alot of gear but i do not think this situation is a good one. I might suggest one thing you say that you are assigned bookbags to carry for identification purposes I have a suggestion run out and buy sonething like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388729-REG/Lowepro_34731_CompuRover_AW_Backpack.html

Wich has exactly the camera space you need and has a good amount of space on the top to hold a days worth of travel items like food maps guides or whatever you want it also has 2 fairly sizeable water bottle pockets on the sides to keep your water away from the rest of your gear. This bag also has an excellent raincover and a laptop pocket if you want it. So here is the tricky part, take the bookbag you are issued and cut it to pieces!! using either a needle and thread or just some saftey pins take all the pieces of your issued bookbag and attach them to you new lowepro camera backpack making you easily identifieable to the rest of your group and to boot you make your fancy camera bag look ratty and sewn together therfore detrring potential thieves. I know I know this is the greatest idea anyone has ever heard.

like food maps guides or whatever you want it also has 2 fairly sizeable water bottle pockets on the sides to keep your water away from the rest of your gear.

just keep in mind, that food and even more so water is what will cause trouble in air travel ;)

just keep in mind, that food and even more so water is what will cause trouble in air travel ;)

Well of course I did not mean to carry hat stuff on the plane. Those items are merely for your day to day touring. On the plane that bag makes a great carry-on for items like magazines or books or whatever you like to have on the plane.

Yes... All it takes is for al-Quaida to slip salmonella into the airline food supplies for the whole plane to be sick before they land.

Yes... All it takes is for al-Quaida to slip salmonella into the airline food supplies for the whole plane to be sick before they land.
I know you are trying to be funny here but all he was tring to say is they will give you a hrd time at securty if you are carrying water bottles or things like that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back