Good diets

LilCujo

the quiet troublemaker!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know this might sound like a silly question. Ive been looking for good diets to try out...but the ones I hear about are like eh...you have to eat a blade of grass and a thimble of water twice a day kind of thing...

so I was curious if anyone knew of a good one that has worked for them or someone they know.

Dont diet. Just eat rite. People eat more than what they really need. If you cut your meals in half you would be just as full. Pass on the cheese cake and brownies. If you do get fast food dont get a super sized grease meal. When you go out to a sit down place, eat half of what you get, take the rest home.

People see how I eat and they ask why Im dieting, Im not fat. Im not dieting, Im just eating like you should, hence why Im not fat.

You can still have deserts and fatty stuff, just not as much and not as often.

oh yea, and being active is half the battle. Eat healthy and stay active.

That's good advice.

"going on a diet" will never work. Changing your diet will. If some fad diet helps you think about what you eat...then so be it...but you can't go the rest of your life only eating cottage cheese and grapefruit. :wink:

Exercise is way more important. Get an active life style and don't over indulge...it takes time to get your body into shape...people who go on diets to lose weight fast...usually gain it back just as fast.

I always have a laugh at how popular these fad diets are. Look at subway...a year ago, they were still pumping Jared adds...eat a plain sub everyday. Now they are on the Atkins (low carb) band wagon...that's pretty much the opposite end of the spectrum. Next year it will be something else...unless it's "jog to subway" it will be just as stupid as the rest.

the funny part is for the last year all I was eating was like junk food..candy and whatever..but I was really active at work...then i joined hockey and that really trimed down...now that I am not playing (which is a drama in itsself) ive noticed that the scale is a bit over what I want it to be...which I guess is what you both are saying..just be active...

to be honest I love eating, food just taste to damn good....but I dont want to gain either......I also heard to that most of the time when your body is hungry that in a sense its just thirsty and when you drink when you are hungry it helps...I tried that...lol I does help...you get up and walk to the bathroom all day long which gets you the work out you need..lol

thanks for the advise...its what I am hearing a lot of...just my activity lately has been put on hold for a bit.. :(

Hey, I hear ya...they don't call me "Big Mike" for nothing.

I was a machine way back in high school. Football, Rugby, track...even pole vaulting. Less than %10 body fat at 180 lbs.

Now I sit on my butt all day at work and way too much at home...it's not always easy to maintain an active life style. I sometimes wonder if it would be worth it to give up the office job and get a more physical job...but I've done that...and all I could think about was finishing school and getting a job using my brain rather than my back.

the sucky part about it is, I dont have time to even breath now a days. Have you ever had that moment in life where you just wanted to do everything but just didnt have the time..ugh....between school, work, hockey, house ...it suxers some times...although I dont think I would give it up..hm well other then school and I figure I got this far..why stop now...... lol now if I can get a Job Playing hockey then were talking..physical job, doing something I like meeting new people...that will work....but then I would prolly end up hating it..hobbies and work should never be combined ;)

Once I got this desk job I started to gain weight. lost any sight of a 6 pack and my rolls started to hit my belt buckle, i hate that.

I started getting in the gym after work in the winter. In the summer months Im on my bike every day after work. And I still make time to lift weights.

I would love to go back to being a landscaper. I like to use my mind AND my back. :D If I find another job that pays the same if not more and I actualy get to do some physical activity I will take it in a heart beat.

I was pretty good about going to the gym...until I bought my house and had to cut the gym out of the budget.

I'm going to try to work photography into getting into shape. Hiking and biking to places to get good photos and all that.

I'm going to try to work photography into getting into shape. Hiking and biking to places to get good photos and all that.

That's one of the reasons I love photography. I'm seldom sitting on my butt when out taking photos. :wink:

Exercise really is the bottom line, though. And learning to toss aside the Cokes and carry a bottled water. I can hardly stand soft drinks now, they seem sickeningly sweet to me, but I didn't stop drinking them because I didn't like them.

I always thought I was doomed to get big because I ended up in an office situation....I heard about "secretary's spread" and all that. But I'm still a size 6, and all I can say is: "I work out!" :D

I agree with graigdavis. People just eat way more than is necessary. I've read a report that the average meal proportions have increase over the years so most of us don't even realize that we are over eating. Like graig said, if you eat the right proportions people think you are on a diet. Just look at the fast food industry. Supersize is becoming normal and large seems like a medium.

The report also said that a common mistake when trying to lose weight is starving yourself or drastically cutting down to those ridiculous diets like an all carrot diet. Apparently the body thinks oh my god it looks like there isn't going to be enough food around so the next time you eat it stores more fat then usual. It kind of explains why people who do quick crash diets quickly gain it all back.

I also think part of the problem is that more and more people are eating out these days. Most restaurants don't list how much fat is in a meal next to the item so you might think you are ordering something harmless but in reality it's really bad for you. When you cook at home you are in complete control of how healthy you want your food to be. Combine that with an active lifestyle and losing weight should come naturally.

very true, what you all are saying makes sense.

lol unfortunately I am Italian so eating at home is probably worse then eating out...haha..

Isn’t there something like if you eat 6 times a day, be active , that should help you lose weight...

sn’t there something like if you eat 6 times a day, be active , that should help you lose weight...

6 small meals a day. It's more lots of large snacks, by spacing them out it keeps you from ever getting that hungry hungry feeling.

Just because you want to lose weight and look great doesn't mean you have to eat a bunch of untasteful junk. It's just a matter of watching what you put into it.

A thing I've found useful is to get a large water bottle (say 64 ounces) and every time you look at it you have to drink (kinda like a modified drinking game sans alchool). Drinking lots of water will make your stomach feel full and lower the desire to eat.

Losing the Sodas and stops at the drive-thru will help out immensly, the more crap you put in your body = the crappy your body looks. Get a couple of cans off nuts and stuff and munch on those throughout the day. Stock up on fruit, veggies (all fresh avoid any processed stuff), unprocessed grains, through in some protien sources (ie: tuna, chicken, steak) and you'll be good to go also long as you add some sort of exercise.

Just my 3.14 cents.

Most reactions

Back