Good SLR for lightning pictures?

8zero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new camera to do some lightning hunting this spring during storm season. I need some good advice on what camera would be good for this. I am looking to spend about $1,000 ballpark.

People have told me Canon Rebels are good for that price range but I wanted to ask some seasoned vets. ;)

Thanks in advance!

**Cough** Any (d)slr **cough** :raisedbrow:

Welcome to the forum.

Pretty much any DSLR will be fine. Look at getting a nice tripod and maybe a remote shutter release to go with it.

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know why beginner questions get so much flack in the beginner's forum.

Anyway...

I'd recommend something that is weather sealed, Pentax, Nikon and Canon all have bodies that will work for you.

For a new Nikon you're looking at a D300/D300s for new, unless you can find a D200 somewhere. Used market is a lot more open to your price range here, but you should be able to find a used D200 or D300 body and 'kit' lens in your price range.

I'm a Nikon guy, however I'll say that Pentax seems to be pretty popular with the 'weather crowd' but I don't know much (if anything) about them.

if you can keep it dry the noise performance of the D90 would knock your socks off. The d300 or d300s would be about the same but would offer weather sealing as others mentioned. Hunting shots I assume will be fairly low light so good ISO performance would be a must.

Like a couple of the other members have said any digital SLR will do the job including a $500 entry-level camera and kit lens.

Mikes suggestion of a remote shutter release is good too since you'll need to be making long exposures.

Most entry-level cameras don't have weather sealing, but you can always use a plastic bag to accomplish the same thing.

You really should find out more about how to make images of lightning before you start thinking about buying gear.

Last edited:
if you can keep it dry the noise performance of the D90 would knock your socks off. The d300 or d300s would be about the same but would offer weather sealing as others mentioned. Hunting shots I assume will be fairly low light so good ISO performance would be a must.
Capturing images of lightning requires low ISO settings, the lower the better. Lightning is very bright. If you use high ISO all the details in the bolts get blown out.

NIKON D90 NOTHING ELSE IF YOU DO WELL THEN YOU WILL DIE OF DEATH

NIKON D90 NOTHING ELSE IF YOU DO WELL THEN YOU WILL DIE OF DEATH

Lol, that settles it then I guess. ;D Thanks for the advice all. I have an old Lumix camera that I have been using in recent years to get some lightning shots. It has worked out well for my needs up to a point:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/212/4/e/July_Storm_2_by_jayschwartz.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs47/i/2009/179/d/8/Oklahoma_Lightning_09_1_by_jayschwartz.jpg

I just would like to get some equipment where I could get a little more detail out of the images. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I also apologize for my newbness. :)

Most reactions

Back