"Good Sound" for Video

"480Sparky" already uses a recorder, so to save his wallet, he might not want to see this. . . . :) This is a review of an array of recorders from "low cost amateur" to "low cost Pro" (my categories). Some have built in mics and can be used "as-is" while others need mics. Warning: This one is LONG.

"Audio Recorders for Filmmaking 2019: Choosing a Sound Recorder for Your Video Projects",
posted Mar 24, 2019 by "Curtis Judd", [length 43:17]
""

Camera Pre-Amp Tests: The Unexpected

The short summary is that DP Review TV ran a comparison of pre-amps covering the major full-frame bodies that many newcomers are considering for their video work, and the results seemed to be up-side-down. The Panasonic was ranked best, which is an expected result, but near it was Nikon and Canon, while the Sony A73 was at the bottom with a noticeably poor showing. Gerald Undone saw this and ran his own test of only the top ranked Panasonic S1H and the Sony A73 and concluded that the Sony A73 was about as good as the Panasonic, and in his view preferable.

There are quite a few things that can be said, but really, I think that is it possible that the Sony was simply a bad unit. It happens sometimes. Moreover, I am glad to see that the Nikon showed well. I think that in their case, it is possible that once they got into production, improvements were made. I only hope that the test is indicative of a real improvement in their products that will prove consistent.

"The Great Pre-amp Shootout: Which camera has the best audio quality",
Posted Mar 28, 2020 by"DPReview", [length 13:50]
""

"Are Sony a7 III Preamps Really That Bad?! // Sony vs Panasonic Audio Test",
Posted Mar 31, 2020 by "Gerald Undone", [length 6:45]
""

Pre-Amps: Round Two ("Food Fight!")

Having seen Gerald Undone's retest of the Sony A7III and the Panasonic S1H, DP Review re-tested the Sony A7III and found that under some conditions they noise problem exists and in other situations it does not. So I was wrong about it being a specific unit. In fact, it does show that there is reason to do more testing.

"Sony a7 III Pre-Amp Test Revisited",
Posted Apr 3, 2020 by "DPReview", [Length 4:28]
""

As a bonus, I found an older test of the Canon EOS R, C200, Panasonic GH5S and Panasonic G9:

"Camera pre-amps group test: Canon EOS R, C200, Panasonic GH5S, G9.",
Posted Dec 4, 2018 by "Picturemedia", [Length 3:20]
""

Some Samples of Sound Designs:

Recently Gerald Undone put together a survey video of what some successful YouTubers were using to produce their content. This showed both the video side (cameras) as well as the audio side. For the sound side, I suggest you click on the link and after it starts into the samples, close your eyes and just listen. There is a pretty good selection of viable sound designs and what was used to achieve them. Ironically, there was a good selection of audio equipment. For cameras, as a matter of chance, lately the vast majority of them were using almost identical cameras. I consider that to be "bad luck" for us, who are interesting in learning. No doubt that Sony, on the other hand, was perfectly happy with the situation.

"What Camera Gear Do YouTubers Use? (2021 Edition)",
Posted Jun 25, 2021 by "Gerald Undone", [Length: 24:54]
""

Most reactions

Back