Goodbye TPF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sup guys, I know I haven't been on TPF for quite some time.

I realised something whilst on TPF. And this also happened whilst I was trying to work on my style and technique of photography.

I just feel that, if I was to critique others, I was just telling them to copy MY style. Some people here have a very dark, underexposed technique, and it often works well. But if I tell them to change that, I'm just wanting someone to be me! Sure there are beginners that need guidance, but I feel that the journey into becoming a better photographer is very, very crucial when it comes to the final product. Sure, I can stay here and just not critique others, and be involved in other chats, but it's just that most of the other chats here don't even have to do with photography and it's kinda annoying. And that's is the general reason I am leaving.

But there is something else that is getting REALLY out of hand. Rank. People are just really bias when it comes to the person they are critiquing. I saw two photos, nearly identical, and they were taken by 2 different people. One was by a beginner (no, it wasn't me, dont start to try any conspiracies), one was by a longtime member who only post pics once in a blue moon but likes to talk **** about others. The beginner was absolutely blasted! There was not one positive thing about it! The other member...got 13 likes on that photo and no one dared to say anything wrong about his pic! Seriously guys, people can take photos of a turd and they can be praised for the 'abstract integrity' of the photo. And it's getting really out of hand. I remember another one of the members, amolitor, did an experiment where he told people to critique and did not get one positive review, and it turns out that that pic was actually a very famous photo by a very famous photographer!

I wasn't surprised though. It was a very smart experiment and hats off to him!

But also, the biggest mistake I did on TPF...was reveal my age. People saw how young I was, and treated me as if I use a phone to capture images! I was never taken seriously as a photographer (but a few members here weren't so judgemental). People would critique my pics by saying 'it seems you had fun' or just try to troll me. I was once good friends with a user here and they were never bias and treated me equally, but once he found out my age...he changed, he started to use the layman terms of photography when he spoke to me!

Anyway, to make this even more formal, I'd like to say a word about a few of the members here.

480sparky: I really enjoyed your fun games, and you're quite the wise and knowledgeable person, a jack of all trades ;)

Actinometro: Really great photos, and you were always really nice to me :)

Animaniac888: Woohoo! Someone younger than me! I could easily relate to you and had some very creative pics!

Binga63: From STRAYA! You were very kind and I am sorry about your arthritis, but you are coping very well!

Bukitmah: Had some amazing macros, and you were from my home country, Singapore!

Cayto: Haven't seen you in a while, but was always fun to talk to!

cgipson1: You were one of the first people to greet me on TPF! You have amazing shots and are always so helpful!

Charlie76: Your awesome man! Loved all you beachwood shots, you have a creative mind, use it wisely ;)

ChristopherCoy: Haven't talked in a while, but i enjoyed it when we did :)

Compaq: You are a talented drawer! You aren't afraid to use a non-DSLR camera, and are more focused on getting the shot, I really respect that!

Dagwood56: Had a very weird conversation about abstract pics, and you are very forgiving!

Derrel: You were always so helpful, and weren't afraid to speak what was on your mind, and had some amazing shots.

Fanboy: I really liked your critique, it was helpful and constructive and got to the point, thanks so much!

Freq: We share very similar passions. I really loved your philosophy and one of nicest people I will ever meet!

Heavanslilangel: I'm sorry to hear about your past life, but you cope well and never give up! Continue your passion!

IByte: Really helpful and contributed to a lot of TPF talks.

Jaemie: What can I say, you posted in nearly all of my threads! You knew my age, but didn't care! You were always so kind and helpful! You really helped me along the way, haven't see you for a while, but keep on shootin'! And I should have read that NSFW sign on your website -.-

jake337: Had some very creative pics, and I loved your levitation pics! You were really nice to me :)

Joshonater: Yay! Another Josh, great photos!

Kazooie: Dude, I'm sorry, I thought you were alright at one stage, but it just went too far. Either listen to people here and get help, or don't listen to them at all and leave tpf. I was really disturbed by your images...

Lafoto: I can't believe you've been on TPF this long! You probably know everyone here, and you have the most posts by far!

mishele: Really liked your threads, very unique compared to others, and can't you just have on profile pic that lasts for at least one week!? ;)

nightflowre: I really love your travel photos, it's a shame you didn't win photo of the month, you have some great talent! Keep it up!

Pinkdoor: Had some really weird posts, but they were funny! Haven't seen you come on for a while, and had so many friends on TPF! Most likely because of your style of photography ;)

Pixmedic: Hilarious posts and a very giving person! Damn, I wished in the US!

rexbobcat: I haven't really updated myself on your current situation, but best wishes in your photojournalism! You had some really cool pics with the levitation technique!

Rick58: You gave me some great critique and were really helpful!

rokvi: Also from Australia! You corrected me when had some really derpy moments, haha! -.-

Rotanimod: We had a bit of a misunderstanding a first! But keep it up dude, your photos are getting A-grade! Keep at it!

tacosanchez: nough' said mate. haha!

Tagofabic: Also from singapore! Had a really great conversation about sg with you :)

TGordon: You consulted me about how to get your pics better, I haven't seen you in a while, but I'm pretty sure that you're doing some great improvement! ;)

TheKenTurner: Yes! Someone below 18! You had some great shots, with great lighting! I can really relate to you!

Trever1t: Gave me some great critique too! I loved your pics!

Unpopular: Had one of the biggest online discussion in my life with you, thanks for sharing with me you great story, you're a very wise guy! And you inspired me to go outside and take a photo! When I hadn't taken one in at least a month.

Anyways, that's it. Sorry if I missed anyone, I could go one for a few thousand more words, but I don't want to influence people to leave tpf. If you wanna keep in touch...inbox me! I won't delete my account! And I know a lot of people hate me here, but hey...that's life! If you wanna write stupid things on this thread...go ahead!

But TPF has helped my style, and I would never get this far without you guys I even started a fb page! JoshuaSimPhotography | Facebook! I would still be learning about manual :I. I will miss you guys, but I will take a look from here and then, I won't do a full on quits! Best of luck in your passions!:thumbup::lmao::mrgreen:

You'll be back. Just ask Robin ;)

Don't give up photography, you are well on your way to mastering the art. Good luck in your endeavors.

that was a super, ultra slow mo mic drop.

I've thought about taking a hiatus from TPF, but not because I mind it, just so that I can take more pictures, or think more about potential shots and projects.

It's weird, I spend 40 hours per week on photography for work. Then another 10-15 on my personal photography. Then I still feel like I need more time to shoot, or work on shots, or think about shots, etc.

I find I usually go in waves. Post and read intensely for a couple of months, then take a couple of months to let what I read, talked about etc soak into my photography. Also, sometimes it's nice to get away from all social media for a while, so that you can begin to see/hear those tiniest creative voices way in the back of your head, that can sometimes be drowned out by social media.

The biggest thing you have to learn about social media and photography is who to listen to, and what to listen to, and to quit worrying about 'rank'. There are some well regarded, fantastic photographers around here. There are some fantastic photographers that nobody likes. There are some thoroughly mediocre photographers with a rabid following.

Who likes who on TPF mostly is an issue of how personable they are in a online social community sense. It does matter, because part of TPF is about community, but it doesn't matter when it comes to getting help with your photography.

One year ago, I had never done anything to a camera, except hit the 'click' button on a fully automated point and shoot. Today I'm a full time photographer who supervises dozens of other photographers. And TPF is a big part of why. I think it would be a disservice to yourself if you just flat out left.

Your experience is why my post counts are generally low on forums. It's the same thing every hobby I pick up and new forum I join. I will give this forum credit for having some serious knowledge though. I started off on the Fro forums and it was pretty much garbage. I stick to the gear threads and post processing as that's what I really look to learn, not style. That comes from within. Facts about gear aren't really too open for speculation.

Good luck with your craft!

Thephotoforum California. You're a nice guy Josh, so I look forward to seeing you around!

Last edited by a moderator:
My bye post was deleted in 5 minutes... just sayin....

Have you never learned from heist movies that you have to watch the patterns the guards use for surveillance a couple of days before you attempt anything?

Yeah, there are a lot of brown noses here when critiquing members they "like."

I hope you were not referring to me, Josh - I always tried to keep my critiques honest with you. You're bright, and I know that you can appreciate that which I offered you, so I really hope I never came off as condescending, at least with your photography.

But seriously, bro. If people dont know how old you are, they'll start to wonder what your problem is: you are what you are. So don't be too determined to grow up, nature takes care of that all on it's own. Just be yourself, and don't be ashamed of that.

I've spent a lot my my life trying to prove myself. You'll only end up regretting it.

Last edited:
smallest-violin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back