got a bad used lens..

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
if i shake the lens a little in my hand i should not hear stuff rattling inside should i ???

picked up the 35-70mm nikon 2.8 lens used on ebay. at 35mm it seems to focus ok but at 70mm i am getting photos like this.. any idea what is wrong with it tried to do a AF fine tune but its just not working.

the guy did say someone returned the lens because it had a back focus issue but he said on his camera there was no issue and the lens was as is. from that i though if anything the lens just needs a fine tune but its not a fine tune issue here.

i am gonna tell him i want to return the lens. there is no possible way he tested this lens and did not find a problem with it. totally scammed..

20151217-DSC_7020-2.jpg

Last edited:
Try and return it before getting too wound up. Give him a chance first.

Agree; out of curiosity, what was your point of focus?

the numbers on the sign is where i had the focus point and i was zoomed in to 70mm.. this the same shot just not cropped quite as much with my 18-35mm lens from the exact same distance and the exact same focus point. if a lens between 18 and 35mm can hit focus on that sign a lens at 70mm should be able to..

even in doors when shooting a focus target it just wont focus at 70mm, AF fine tune does not good at all

i wrote to the guy and he called me, he is gonna return the lens, he swears it was not like that but he does have 100% feed back on ebay and loads of sales, now that i looked at that agian i do not think he was trying to scam me at all. maybe it was damaged in shipping.

20151210-DSC_6184.jpg

It's clearly a backfocus issue; the bricks are sharp (or nearly so), but that's WAY more than AF Fine Tune can deal with. Somethings messed up somewhere.

Are you absolutely, positively certain that's where the point of focus was? That you didn't have the point of focus manually moved to the right of the viewfinder? That it wasn't that 3D dynamic multi-point intelligent autofocus nonsense that seldom works properly?

Set it to single-point autofocus, and insure that the red outline of the CENTER focus point illuminates when you half-press the shutter release. It looks to me like it was using a focus point at the upper right side of the viewfinder.

Some lenses DO HAVE rattling sounds when shaken, and that can be normal....part of the diaphragm mechanism usually. Not that boig an issue...unless what's rattling around is like...say...a loose lens element.

if i shake the lens a little in my hand i should not hear stuff rattling inside should i ???

picked up the 35-70mm nikon 2.8 lens used on ebay. at 35mm it seems to focus ok but at 70mm i am getting photos like this.. any idea what is wrong with it tried to do a AF fine tune but its just not working.

the guy did say someone returned the lens because it had a back focus issue but he said on his camera there was no issue and the lens was as is. from that i though if anything the lens just needs a fine tune but its not a fine tune issue here.

i am gonna tell him i want to return the lens. there is no possible way he tested this lens and did not find a problem with it. totally scammed..

View attachment 112981
I have a 35-70 as well and I didn't use it for several years because the focus was off pretty bad even though it seemed to be working. I used it recently in testing and it actually did pretty good again. However this lens does have some sort of inherent problem, perhaps something is sticking I do not know. Never did fine tune it though as I seldom use it now. The photo that you posted was exactly what I got as well

Last edited:
yeah i had it set to single point and the outline on the house numbers. lots of out of focus photos, the farther away you get form something the worse it got, close to stuff it did just fine.

i dont know, the guy called me after i sent him a message and he instantly refunded my money and sent me a shipping label to send the lens back to him.

Some lenses DO HAVE rattling sounds when shaken, and that can be normal....part of the diaphragm mechanism usually. Not that boig an issue...unless what's rattling around is like...say...a loose lens element.
Lenses are not supposed to rattle or take blurry pictures. Rattles are not normal except as baby toys.

yeah, something did not seem right with it. i am not feeling well all of the sudden, i think the lens not only had issue but put a voodoo curse on me and made me sick lol

Lenses are not supposed to rattle or take blurry pictures. Rattles are not normal except as baby toys.

Derrel is quite correct. Some lenses do have a rattle when shaken. I have noticed it on some of the many lenses that I have had over the years. But yeah, that 35-70mm is definitely not focussing correctly.

Derrel is quite correct. Some lenses do have a rattle when shaken. I have noticed it on some of the many lenses that I have had over the years. But yeah, that 35-70mm is definitely not focussing correctly.

I have 3 or 4 lenses that have distinctive rattles. That's perfectly normal.

Yes some lenses rattle, but those are never the ones that you want to own. A person who buys a rattling lens and keeps it likes failure.

Last edited:
I can assure you, they work absolutely perfectly and are the same as the day they left the factory. It is just an inherent quirk of some lenses, particularly (but not limited to) the old M42 mount ones which use a pin to actuate the blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back