Got a Second Flash

laynea24

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to read more of the manual and figure out how to turn on high sync speed. It doesn't have a button with the symbol on it. That will fix the shadow on the right. Is the lighting too harsh?

First portrait using two flashes:

$LBB_3942eweb.jpg

How does high speed sync have anything to do with that shadow? Please explain...

What flash did you get? Fwiw, it's not possible to use HSS off camera without some pricey triggers. And for this photo, it wouldn't have made a difference. You were indoors.

proper flash position will fix the shadows.
where were the flashes positioned for this picture? any diffusers? what power level? 9000? (nerd joke)

proper flash position will fix the shadows.
where were the flashes positioned for this picture? any diffusers? what power level? 9000? (nerd joke)

It was surely over 9000 bro.

Looking at the catch lights, you have your lights set up high camera left and low camera right. This is cross lighting your subject and although you have a lighting ratio from the Main to the Fill, this type of setup will generally give a flat lighting appearance. For small children, this is okay because generally it is a prefered look and drama should be held off, at least until puberty. :lol:

BTW, High Speed Sync would be of no benefit for this shot.

Cute kid. Thanks for sharing.

High sync speed wouldn't fix the bar of shadow that is in every photo? I am using the Yongnuo 622c triggers that say they sync to 1/8000 shutter speed. I wanted to test this feature, which is why I set the shutter speed so high in this photo. I just assumed I would need to turn the high sync speed on to take advantage of it. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I'm new to these triggers and using multiple flashes.

The flashes were positioned on either side, one higher than the other. Both fired into reflective umbrellas.

They do support HSS. What flashes are you using? Do they support HSS and do you have the camera, flash units, and triggers speaking the same language?

Both flashes listed in your signature support HSS so you have a setting incorrect somewhere.

I'm using a Canon 430EX II and Yongnuo 565EX. I know the 430 supports HSS. I thought I read that the latter supports it, but I may be wrong. I'm reading through the manual right now. So far I've read that it will recognize HSS if the beeping sound is turned off and my camera is in continuous shooting mode? Something to try I guess. The flash and extra trigger arrived about an hour before I posted the photo. Haha.

Do have your camera's external flash setting pointed to HSS?

Does your camera support hss? I don't shoot canon but I know not every nikon does. If you are indoors, there is no reason to use hss.

Mach0 said:
Does your camera support hss? I don't shoot canon but I know not every nikon does. If you are indoors, there is no reason to use hss.

That's something to look into. I believe it does, but I may be wrong.

I was just using it to practice the features.

jbkm1994 said:
Do have your camera's external flash setting pointed to HSS?

I'll have to check that when I get home this evening. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back